Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Warren Jeffs ( )
Date: April 16, 2021 07:57AM

I have had the experience recently of evangelizers for the Seventh Day Adventist church approaching me and others in supermarket car parks and at the front door of my house promoting literature to promote Bible verses and belief.The literature explained Bible verses without explaining it was promoted by the S DA church.l respect Seventh Day Adventist for their expertise on health and nutrition and their members do have long life expectancy.
However,there is the issue of going to church on Saturday and feeling an onus to keep rules.
They do not advertise the name of their church on their evangelizing literature.That can be described as subterfuge to make a convert.The Mormon church advertises a Come Unto Christ headline and talking to missionaries without placing the Mormon church name in the advertisement.They want a person to think it is all so simple as Come Unto Christ.
I was thinking a law in countries outside of the United states could possibly be drafted to require all churches seeking converts to be honest.I never knew about any temple garments until l was aged 15.l was baptized at the age of 10.

A law of that sort could satisfy Tom Phillips.
L

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: April 16, 2021 09:31AM

If they had to be honest they would die.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 16, 2021 10:27AM

In a world where people are constantly talking about "my truth"?

Uh . . . no.

Date: April 16, 2021 11:37AM

Food and drugs and many other products that may affect your physical health are required to carry correct labeling of ingredients and possible side effects.

Religion which may and usually does affect your mental health requires no labeling of ingredients or no warnings of possible side effects, and, you can give it to minors of any age. And in many cases you will be penalized for not giving it to your children in double doses.

For religion to be held accountable for truthful labeling the U.S. Government would actually have to make good on their constitutional promise of Separation of Church and State.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 16, 2021 11:40AM

In my fantasy world, religion would be stripped of its protections and have to operate like they are selling a product they can be sued for if the claims are questioned. The secret faith cloak in darkness should not be OK for anything we peddle. There should be consequences for their wishy washy justifications for things and big consequences when they radicalize people who do harm.

Heck, there should even be a disclaimer on religious holy books so people know they can cause violence, divisiveness and have no actual evidence for supernatural claims. If we have warnings like "don't put your head in a plastic bag," we should be able to warn about the brain fog of religion. They should be clearly identified as cultural myth.

If we can flag and call out conspiracy theories, we should be calling out the claims of religion.

Yeah, I know. My fantasy world is not a place most people would like.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: April 16, 2021 11:44AM

Evangelicalism thrives only where there is superstition born of ignorance.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 18, 2021 08:03PM

Outside the U.S.A.?

What about within 'er?

A lot of honesty has gotten worn away, bread out and killed off, not to mention forgotten.

Laws don't make people honest. They/ We come that way.

Something happens along the way. Wayward - way word.
I've a way with words
AWAY with words!

Mormonism is CROOKED.
Don't follow it-

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 18, 2021 11:25PM

You can't legislate a belief.

However.... I believe churches should be held financially responsible if they are a so called charity and solicit money.
I think they should be required to account openly for all donations.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 19, 2021 12:04AM

Money laundering isn’t getting any easier. Shouldn’t crooks at least have religion as an option?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 19, 2021 12:42AM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 19, 2021 01:25AM

Laws can’t force people to be honest or anything else. Laws can reward or punish behaviors. Murder is illegal. Those laws however do not force people to not be murderers.

Date: April 19, 2021 01:40AM

I think there may be an unknown, and perhaps large, number of people in so-called civilized societies who abstain from murder, and other crimes, for fear of criminal consequences. We'll never know just how many, of course.

Perhaps we can say that laws do not stop SOME people from committing crimes; how many or what percentage, of course, cannot be determined.

Some people have wanted to wring my neck--a few on this board, I fear!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 19, 2021 09:20AM

I'm sure that they just want what's best for you.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 19, 2021 01:42AM

And here I was thinking that Lauren Boebert's Twitter observation that "mass shootings are illegal" would be the end of it.

Dammit!

Date: April 19, 2021 01:48AM

:=\

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 19, 2021 02:44AM

No violence here, caffiend.

ETA: After all, murder is illegal!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2021 02:46AM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Geraldo! ( )
Date: April 19, 2021 07:42AM

Sure you can pass a law.

Jaywalking is illegal - you see how well that one works.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 19, 2021 09:36AM

I guess it's no different from any business advertising itself. Food manufacturers will put "no cholesterol" on packages of food that don't even contain any animal products, so the statement is entirely unnecessary. Or they'll call something "light" when they mean light in colour, because there's no legal definition of "light."

They hope to reel people into buying their products by being deliberately deceptive. I guess if they can do it, then so can a business whose product is their brand of dogma.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 21, 2021 10:15AM

I don't think so because you can't cure stupid

Date: April 21, 2021 10:31AM

Apparently 95% of criminals in the penitentiary believe in the 10 commandments.

It's not about being honest. No one cares what God thinks of them or they wouldn't do what their churches tell them is evil when no one is looking--- but God still is. They only care about getting caught.

And this is why Jerry Falwell Jr. is still paying to keep "the tapes" from going public though he says he isn't and his Evangelical Liberty University is suing him for millions. I can see why his wife went for the pool boy though. Some choices are easy, God or not.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 21, 2021 10:41AM

Robert Kirby did a number of columns about the letters he would get from the Utah State Penitentiary in Bluffdale taking him to task for picking on the Mormon Church. Other writers have also commented on how criminals often have a very well developed "how dare you" moral high horse.

Ironic to the point of being comical.

Date: April 21, 2021 10:44AM

Fascinating, this. Thanks for that tidbit from Kirby. Goes along with all the times I have had Jack Mormons who even drink and smoke and never go to church have a go at me for being anti-Mormon way worse than any TBM would.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: April 21, 2021 11:57PM

As George Costanza said, it's not a lie if you really believe it.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: April 22, 2021 03:15AM

We can't force our elected officials to be honest, and in some cases we elect them even when we've already had ample evidence of their especially egregious lack of honesty. How would we ever compel honesty from the evangelized or otherwise fundamentally religious?

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: April 22, 2021 10:45AM

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.