Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: doubtingLDS ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 11:10AM

I was born in the mid 1980's so I have no clue as to what BKP WAS like in his day. One woman said he was obsessed sex and telling YW to be asmamed 28th their sexuality. I've read the Little Factory eassay, appalling. Do they still use that?

What made BKP so bad to fellow RfMers? I know very little about him. Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 11:14AM

Even more recently he was spouting off about gays, women, & intellectuals. This was just a couple of years ago.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 11:21AM

"There is a temptation for the writer or the teacher of Church history to want to tell everything, whether it is worthy or faith promoting or not. Some things that are true are not very useful."

“I have a hard time with historians... because they idolize the truth. The truth is not uplifting; it destroys. Historians should tell only that part of the truth that is inspiring and uplifting.”

"We've always counseled in the Church for our Mexican members to marry Mexicans, our Japanese members to marry Japanese, our Caucasians to marry Caucasians, our Polynesian members to marry Polynesians. The counsel has been wise. You may say again, 'Well, I know of exceptions.' I do, too, and they've been very successful marriages. I know some of them. You might even say, 'I can show you local Church leaders or perhaps even general leaders who have married out of their race.' I say, 'Yes--exceptions.' Then I would remind you of that Relief Society woman's near-scriptural statement, 'We'd like to follow the rule first, and then we'll take care of the exceptions.'"

Packer said, “If we’re not alert, there are those today who not
only tolerate but advocate voting to change laws that will legalize immorality, as if a vote would somehow alter the designs of God’s laws and nature … what good would a vote against the law of gravity do?”

“Some suppose that they were preset and cannot overcome what
they feel are inborn tendencies toward the impure and the
unnatural,” he said. “Not so. Why would our Heavenly Father do that to anyone?”

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 11:28AM

His words do tend to work against him, don't they? That little legacy of quotes that left4good treated us to is just the tip of the iceberg.

What makes it worse is he was in a position that allowed his poisonous words to be mistaken for the word of God. The young deserve better.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 11:43AM

The poor guy was sour and creepily into sin and evil. He saw Satan under every marshmallow. The fiery darts of Satan will get you. Shame, fear, sin, evil thoughts, is the only vibe I ever got from him.

He was sort of the GA they let do the scolding in his talks because that seemed to be his thing.

I doubt he had a moment of joy in his life when he didn't suspect he would be punished for it. (OK, I'm exaggerating, but you get what I mean.)

Anyone else see this?

Posted by: Linker ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 11:45AM

Link to other thread on the topic

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1619356

Posted by: Cahomegrown ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 11:49AM

+1
Blue orchid you hit it 'to the square'
Old men in the position of speaking for God is...scary and weird. No one talks of the (false)prophesy, the promises of blessings that don't come, or its relationship to the youth of Utah who are dropping like flies.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 12:38PM

How likely is it that there are 100s or 1000s of TBM men out there who owe Packer a huge debt of gravity? You know, the men who read the his and McConkie's words of moral wisdom and spent weeks or months with their major hands tied to a bed post, and thus they conquered that slathering, horny demon, Masturbation.

How many bishops and stake presidents, area 70s, etc., were able to achieve their status due to Boyd K. Packer's ridicule and fear mongering?

Posted by: doubtingLDS ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 01:15PM

left4good, Thank You for those quotes . When these were said, assuming at General Conference, was there any sort of backlash or "oh my heck, what did he just say" type of response from the church?

The reason why I ask, if these were stated in a GC now...I would expect there to be some sort of response from the members. Or I would hope there would be.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 03:12PM

doubtingLDS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When these were said, assuming at General Conference, was
> there any sort of backlash or "oh my heck, what
> did he just say" type of response from the
> church?
>
> The reason why I ask, if these were stated in a GC
> now...I would expect there to be some sort of
> response from the members. Or I would hope there
> would be.

To my recollection, TBMs gave it all a big "Amen" and life went on.

There is no end to what TBMs will accept as "revelation."

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 01:28PM

Here's another quote about "which way do you face." I've posted it before, so I'll just link to it.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1398848,1399413#msg-1399413

Packer was simply a tool. A complete mediocrity.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 01:35PM

Thanks for the quotes, left4good. Excellent examples.

One of the biggest problems with him, and other General Authorities like him, is their ability to make the members feel that no matter how fast they run on the Mormon hamster wheel, they will never be able to run fast enough in order to be good enough for them.

They make you feel that no matter how hard you work, you will always fall short.

I went permanently inactive when it finally dawned on me that for the 30 years that I was a Mormon (also a convert), that I never felt very good about myself.

They'd be hard-pressed to pin any sins on me. I have always been a good girl.

But I just never felt quite good enough. As soon as I left, my self-esteem began to heal.

Now the General Authorities that I once admired, I recognize as huge guilt-pushers. For what that does to a person's sense of self-worth, I find to be evil.

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 03:45PM

re: Greyfort

I know a lady whose kids first, then husband, left the cult. She kept attending for a while by herself. Then she said to herself, "Why should I keep going when no one else in my family is?".

A while after she stopped her attachment to the mormon cult, she had an unexpected surprise.

Her depression went away, and she felt happy for the first time in many years.

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 02:27PM

Shit, I married a Mexican in 87, and he ended up being gay, I had not realized allhe had spouted. Just knew he was bad and closeted.

Oh,I am one of those "caucasians" My best friend married a Mexican also. copy cat. My other bestie married a black man she met in Japan. My other roomate married a Chinese man. I grew up in Michigan with all these people. Hmmm. I'm notmarried anymore for obvious reasons......but still. It never even occured tome to not like a Mexican. Imean, he was a return mish and everything.

I wonder how many kids of this generation are scared shitless about masturbation. I made sure my kid knew it was okie dokie. course I didn't raise him lds, but we are still here in moridor.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 03:05PM

This was posted on the NOM board this morning. It hits the nail squarely on the head.....

"I could not disagree more with the sentiment that Packer was a simple passionate good-hearted man. It is just not the case at all.

He worked tirelessly to draw hard lines in the sand and pit family members against their own. This is not a good man being passionate. This is a cowardly and calculated move to ask other people to make sacrifices and incur losses for his agenda.

He showed absolutely no sympathy in his life for those that are not aligned exactly as he would have them. He was the loud voice behind the perjorative use of "so-called" for every group with which he disagreed.

He made life on the campus worse for women, gays and his favorite "so called intellectuals." He was anything but a zealous honest man with whom we may disagree. He was a brutal and thirsty executive of power.

His legacy should be in line with the words in the la times article, one of an old opportunist."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2015 03:05PM by Bite Me.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 03:18PM

It seems to me that Elder Packer was a bully. He abused his authority, and picked on the helpless and downtrodden. If you didn't share his "Mormon" believes, and spoke up about it, you were in trouble.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 03:26PM

He was spun up about his supposed authority, of course, but was honest in his way. Otherwise, he was a tremendously evil man and a bully. I think he believed more in himself than in God or in the church or in Joseph Smith. He believed that whatever he said was gospel truth.

Packer never appeared to be a happy man. I think he was a gay man living a closeted lifestyle, and we know that has a huge impact on one's personal happiness. The result was decades of abusive behaviour.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 04:32PM

Yes, that's the strange thing. You don't even recognize that you're unhappy, until you're on the outside, looking in.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 06:04PM

"There is a falsehood that some are born with an attraction to their own kind, with nothing they can do about it. They are just “that way” and can only yield to those desires. That is a malicious and destructive lie. While it is a convincing idea to some, it is of the devil. No one is locked into that kind of life. From our premortal life we were directed into a physical body. There is no mismatching of bodies and spirits. Boys are to become men—masculine, manly men—ultimately to become husbands and fathers. No one is predestined to a perverted use of these powers."

That, and other, statements from "For Young Men Only," and other Packer statements, taken as doctrine, were the basis for official church hatred of gays, for official church discrimination, for "reprogramming" types of efforts (including the notorious electro-shock BYU "therapy"), and a great deal more evil perpetrated against gay men by and through the church and its members.

If that's not evil, I don't know what is...

Posted by: throckmorton.p.guildersleeve ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 06:51PM

Packer was a bully and a coward both. He never "stood on a wall" with arrows and spears being thrown at him ala Samuel the Lamanite. He was a man who would give forceful and uncompromising talks in front of throngs of "true believers". He was a great one for speaking cold and heartless words towards people he didn't agree with in front of large groups of Mormons who saw him as a combination of God and a rock star.

It takes real courage to do that right?

He surrounded himself with people who didn't question his authority or challenge him in the least. A lifetime of surrounding himself with sycophants and yes-men left his ego as bloated and ugly as his body. Sometimes being an atheist sucks, because I would love to be able to imagine BKP in hell, getting f&cked up the ass by the biggest demon cock satan has at his command.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 02:45PM

Oct 2, 1976

LDS General PriestDUD meeting is usually insanely boring. It was not quite as boring as usual this time, but this instance was hardly any kind of improvement on the typically agonizing
(AGONIZING) experience.

We had no idea about the new approach to administering the typical agony that we were going to be subjected to.

Thank you, Elder Packer, for such a memorable evening.
One is compelled to wonder and marvel about the kind of personality that feels compelled to address such a topic in such a forum in such a way. But then again I wonder about anyone who feels entitled to take the sacred title of apostle upon themselves.

A person would just have to be there, to really comprehend the
true essence of Packer as it was conveyed to listeners over the pulpit that evening, when we could have been doing so many other things that would have been so much more pleasant including having a dental appointment.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 02:49PM

http://exposing mormons.com/2013/11/30/boyd-k-packer-to-young-men-only-little-factory/

the gap in the link, between the blue text and black text will have to be closed in order to make the link functional

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 02:47PM

His own church had to edit him down off his bully pulpit. This fact speaks volumes to me.

Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 04:55PM

I had to sit and listen to his pompousness the whole evening. His eldest daughter was a lovely person and very nice to me.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 05:05PM

are you really asking us how many young mormons were driven to suicide from guilt because of Packer's insane pamphlet about masturbation ?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.