Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: justarelative ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 10:48PM

...I would probably have been one of the all-too-many teen suicides. Trapped in an incoherent system with no way out? Yeah, that would have put me over the edge. For those of you who had to go through that and survived, you have my respect.

Went to F&T yesterday. The lady that sat next to me was so strange. She was very concerned because as a new person I might get freaked out by the testimonies and how everybody tells each other that it's all true.

Note to Mormonism: you're the only church where everyone feels it is necessary to tell everyone else that the church is true all the time.

She said her college boyfriend became a Mormon and she set out to get him out of the cult. Apparently she got sucked in instead. So, deconversion efforts are not for amateurs? Don't try this at home folks. Sigh.

Then there was the old guy who visits people in the hospital and was pointing at people and spilling private medical information all over me.

But where were my sister missionaries? I didn't see them. They had told me on Thursday that they had a baptism coming up on Saturday evening. And during SM there was a ceremony for an adult couple to receive the HG, so maybe those were the ones? But no sisters? Doesn't make sense.

Funny though. During the ceremony there was what was advertised as a prayer which in my mind is a monologue at God, but the content was clearly being directed at the person seated with men standing all around. Sometimes I wonder if people have any sense of self-awareness at all.

In case you're wondering, the answer is yes, I'm just rambling. Waiting for my son to finish a conversation so we can go home.

Oh, he's done. Goodnight all.

JAR

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 10:59PM

Your description of Mormon prayer as a "monologue at God" is priceless. I'm still chuckling.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 11:08PM

Oh, I hated Testimony meeting. So borrrring!

Posted by: Calico ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 11:38PM

Yes, be glad you didn't have to deal with all that oppression. I am SO glad that I got out early and didn't raise my kids Mormon.

Some years after I left, I heard it referred to as a cult. Never thought of it that way, but the more I learned, the more I realized it was the case. As you are learning, the brainwashing goes very deep.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 12:32AM

justarelative Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...I would probably have been one of the
> all-too-many teen suicides. Trapped in an
> incoherent system with no way out? Yeah, that
> would have put me over the edge. For those of you
> who had to go through that and survived, you have
> my respect.

I went through and made it out. My best friend growing up didn't. The self-loathing instilled in him as a gay man was too much, and he couldn't see a way to ever be happy. :(

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.