Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 01:34PM

I still write to him 2 or three times a month and my letters are anything but reverent. I recently found out that he saved up some of his monthly allowance and purchased a iPod Touch. He's living in an apartment complex and he's found enough unsecured wireless networks that he can surf the web and even post on Facebook once in a while.

I've sent recommendations of free books to download on the Kindle app and I always encourage him to think for himself and not simply accept everything they feed him. I think he's OK with his current level of rebellion and I don't get any hint of guilt in what I hear from him.

Every time I see a new movie I send him my review of it and we are keeping a list of the movies we'll need to watch together once he gets home. I refer to it as my post mission decompression de-nerdfication program and he seems most anxious to enroll.

Before he left it was very awkward trying to talk to him about the problems with the church. He just didn't want to listen. I was probably pushing too hard as well now that I look back. Our relationship is maturing through our letters back and forth. Even if he never leaves the church at least he knows how I feel about it and he also knows that I love him regardless.

It will be interesting to see what things are like in 5 months when he gets home. Any predictions?

Stunted

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 02:51PM

It appears that you have done a good job keeping it "real" as they say, teaching him it's OK to think for himself and be guilt-free.
Good for you!
I think it's all going to go well!

Posted by: sayhitokolob4me ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 03:10PM

My son is getting near the end of his mission also, and he told me he has built up about 3 months worth of $ in his account. If that does not get used, tscc grabs it at the end of his mission. I have taken the stance that my son can spend some of it, the rest I am taking by way of not sending in any more monthly payments for his mission. He has plenty left in his account to make it to the end, so why give it to the morg?

Posted by: moira ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 02:18AM

Please tell me. How can TSCC take his money if it is in a private account? That sounds illegal.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 09:02AM

Is he in the US? If so can't he just take the cash out of his account and "spend" it by buying a prepaid debit card (found at the grocery store in the gift card section, cvs, etc.). Otherwise, can he buy travelers checks with it and then cash them when he gets home? It's your money that's being put in there, the church is disgusting for taking it, but if your son has sacrificed to save it, he should be able to come home with a savings.

Posted by: Nona ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 07:45AM

He seems quite open-minded, so it would be nice if someone here could do it.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 08:23AM

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 08:30AM

And he offered to work for me for this morning. I'm debating weather or not to get into any dialogue with him. He has avoided gospel discussions with me, not like my oldest son, that is an rm, that gets into them with me all the time.

I'll play it by ear.

As far as your situation, every child is different. Some come back very turbo mormon. Some come back with a lot of guilt, and some pretty mellow and moderate.

Posted by: benben ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 11:08AM

Has it really been almost 2 year already? Time flies!!!

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 11:18AM

with your son, and helping him keep mission rules in perspective.

He'll probably come back a lot more emotionally healthy than most missionaries.

Way to go!

Posted by: Koemi ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 01:21PM

I wish I had a parent like you when I was a missionary. I think things should go smoothly for his return home. Just don't make too much fun of him when he makes eye contact with every stranger on the street and says hello to them....that's a hard habit to break. :P

You know, it was my mission that started my falling away from the church. It gave me a front and center view of how poorly they treat women (ie. me). Plus, I would have to have been an idiot not to notice the manipulation involved in what we were doing. I knew God really wanted me to go serve, and I know now that it was because she needed me to learn the truth about the church. If I hadn't gone I'd probably be married in the temple with a handful of kids by now. *shudders*

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.