Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nalicea ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 03:04PM

I remember my family telling me how special it was for me to get my "real" name in the temple. "This is the day your are SUPPOSED to be endowed! It is so awesome that you will find out your name today! If you went any other day than today, your real name could be different." yadda yadda I remember that the line, "if you went any other day your name would be different" made me wonder...

When I was at the temple and the temple worker gave me my new name, I almost physically flinched as she spelled it out, "H-U-L-D-A-H".

I only found out this year in the spring, that anyone else who took out their endowments on the same day as me, was also given the same "real" name. I thought my "true" name was supposed to be so personal. I didn't know it was like the show "Factory Made", where you are in an assembly line and you all get stamped with the same "real" name.

I was thinking this morning, about the day my husband and I got sealed. I had to tell him my "new/real" name to my hubby while going through the "veil" curtain crap. It made me shudder to even utter it, because it sounds like the worst Viking name on the planet, but I did. Then the temple workers emphasized how my husband was NEVER to tell me his "real" name. No matter what. I was to respect his priesthood and should NEVER even ask him what his name was.

I was just wondering if this bothered anybody else out there, especially the women. What honestly flittered through your mind when you were told you could never know your husband's "true" name? I know it is just a bunch of crap now, but it seems like a power play, in my opinion. I actually just barely asked my husband what his name was a few days ago and it felt weird doing that, even though I am an exmormon. They really are experts at brainwashing in my opinion.... My husband didn't hesitate and told me immediately, but when he was TBM he never would have. Five years later and I find out this silly name that was so secretive. Mind you, his name was a lot better than mine. LOL!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 03:26PM

BWAHAHAHAHA! omg, I would have endlessly pestered my husband, denied him sex, fought with him, whatever until he told me because I would have been so PISSED at the obvious gender discrimination. So glad I didn't do that crap.

Posted by: archaicoctober ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 03:31PM

I got stuck with Hyrum. How thrilled I was to be counted among the noblest of names in the Ademic tongue!

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 03:33PM

I know what I heard. Some people haven't believed me, but I bet you do, Nalicea! I know the UUUH sound when I hear it.

I was supposed to go through the eternities as Hulga? I don't think so!

Date: October 18, 2010 04:03PM

ROFL!!! @ Adult of God - I believe you! And those were my thoughts as well. The eternities with "Huldah" was just way too much. lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2010 04:05PM by nalicea.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 11:08PM

Posted by: Socrates2 ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 10:05AM

Posted by: Freevolved ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 03:34PM

As a male this stuff bothers me as well. As with women wearing a veil in the temple...what is the point? I mean honestly. I need an explanation! Its not kosher. It doesn't fly. I've never felt comfortable with it and it makes you wonder if JS made it up because he wanted his polygamous wives to be subjective. How are we to come up with a better conclusion. I mean can God really want this stuff? Mormons believe in a Heavenly Mother? Does Heavenly Father really treat her in such a sexist way?

Date: October 18, 2010 04:06PM

@ evolution - I agree. When I had to cover my face with the veil during my endowments, I remember thinking to myself, "This is just pure and plain sexism. How disgusting and humiliating! Oh wait, don't think thoughts like that! This is so spiritual and holy....." And then I would commence trying to talk myself out of my own rational thoughts.

Posted by: koemi ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 01:17PM

LOL! I remember thinking something very similar!

Posted by: koemi ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 01:22PM

My real name was/is Marhta. I always thought of Martha Stewart. :P Then I read the story of Martha Brotherton and was wierded out....as my last name is only one letter different! It's like the REAL God was trying to tell me something.

Posted by: moe32898 ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 08:48PM

Well, there are several Heavenly Mothers, if you consider the darkest corners of Mormon beliefs. All of them are probably treated with the same misogyny.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 05:17PM

Apprently heavenly Mother isnt talked about exept on very rare ocations and does nothing exept make babies this means not even talk to her kids when daddy gets to.

If you really look at it and mormon women are going to be treated just the same well would they really like that? Do they have a choice or will they be made 'perfect' and not care anymore. The great spiritual lobotomy.

Posted by: Cyn ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 01:43AM

Well, I always have a comeback for this. When they say, Where is Heavenly Mother?, I always reply: She's out making universes; father is staying home tending the kids....

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 03:35PM

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 03:59PM

I thought I was bad. My "real" name was Amos. *banjos playing* God wants everyone to have a hick name.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 04:01PM

for some reason I cant help but think about a british sitcom (set in nazi occupied France!) called 'Allo 'Allo.
"Hulga is doink a striptease"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbU_NcyRbR0

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 04:02PM

Phillip. I wanted my last name to be Morris.

Posted by: Way Out ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 04:18PM

Mine was 'Noah'...but I jumped ship before having the chance to save my posterity :)

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 05:18PM

I was asking him before we were even off the temple grounds." Just whisper it to me." He wouldn't tell me.

When we get home I start saying, "Please tell me your new name. Please?"

DH: doesn't say anything.

ME: "It's not fair that you know mine but I don't know yours." "Why should I have to wait until the eternities to know what I'm gonna' call you?"

DH: "I can't."

ME: "It doesn't make sense that you know mine but I can't know yours."

I don't give him a chance to respond and say,

ME: "We just got sealed and I can't know your new name. I'm your wife! This is nuts eh?"

ME: "If I can guess it will you let me know if I'm right?"

DH: Big smile and nods yes.

ME: "Is it a name I'd know?"

DH: nods yes

ME: Is it a name common to Mormons?

DH: nods yes.

ME: "Lehi? Nephi? Alma?"

DH: nods no.

ME: "A Mormon Prophet?"

DH: nods yes.

ME: "Please don't tell me it's Brigham!"

DH: laughs out loud and nods no.

ME: OMG! Is it Joseph?

DH: nods yes

DH and I start laughing. So he never had to actually say it.

Posted by: SpongeBob SquareGarments ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 06:05PM

Even when she was TBM, she was pretty pissed to find out that she got the 'name of the day' instead of it being her really special name.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 07:36PM

i got the name miriam and since i had liked that name, thot it was really a special name from god to me.... until i found out that there are no special names. For a while i even thot that if it was your special day you got a different new name- 'yours', - not the nom du jour for alll the dead people.

So many head games to keep myself in the church .

Posted by: buliwyf ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 04:25AM

Yeah, i went with my dad to get my endowment, then we went to another temple that day, and he mentioned how i received a different 'new' name in proxy...i was like 'no, it's the same' (thinking it must have been divine that i got my 'new' name twice), and he had this confused look, and said he shouldn't have brought it up since ALL the temples use the same name per given day. He is a former bishop, and even he thought we got a special 'new' name when we took out our endowment for the first time.

Posted by: Never knew ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 07:56PM

I went for my endowments in 1992. The matron giving out that "special name" had a very strong dialect and I couldn't understand the name she gave me. I looked at her name badge and "I think" it was the same name she was wearing. She got angry when I asked her more then once so I gave up. Is it common for the matron to be wearing a name badge with the same name that is being given out that day?

Posted by: luminouswatcher ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 08:03PM

Names are very powerful icons in magic lore. Even in Hebrew temple mysticism, the priest speaks the name of god on the day of atonement to magically convey the sins of omission from the people to the goat.

If you study the Adam god stuff, you know that the names employed to the endowment figures are title names not proper names. The names you receive in the phases of the endowment are just the same, and they convey power and magic. So don't be too offended if you did not get a cool name, just be happy that the modern church and acolytes who told you it would be special (or believed it was) have no clue what they are dealing with.

It all worked very well to help bronze age priests control bronze age people. It would seem it still works, and the practitioner does not even have to understand why.

Posted by: SisterSue ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 09:29PM

Hey, my temple name is Huldah too! I got it on the day that I was married in 1985. Here I was, a bride with a butt-ugly name. I almost cried before the temple session even started. If I had known more about the temple ceremony, I would have simply left at that time.

I went back to the temple after I was married and I never heard my awful name again. I finally found it in the obituaries of the newspaper years later. Someone actually died and had my sacred name! I cut that obituary out - to remember forever.

Although I promised never to reveal my temple name, I did tell everyone at work the day that I found my name in the obituaries. My Mormon co-workers were flabbergast. Another non-believing co-worker just laughed as I did it. Nothing happened that day and I was never struck by lightening.

Later, I told my children about the temple name. Now, they yell it in Wal-Mart whenever they can't find me. It's the funniest thing to hear my boys yelling it in the store and people just turn and look at them! I guess temple names can be useful in the right places.

Date: October 18, 2010 11:06PM

ROFL!!! This made me laugh so hard I cried. Absolutely brilliant!

It is nice to meet another "Huldah". LOL!

Posted by: LJP ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 10:02PM

My temple name was....EVE. How original is that? Never did know what my ex-husband's name was, it was so sacred that he wouldn't divulge but I have a sneaking suspicion it was Adam. I think it's hilarious about Sister Sue saying her kids called her that at Walmart!!

Posted by: Freevolved ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 10:15PM

Actually if your name was Eve that was probably not the new name for the day. If you have the same name as the new name for the day they give you the "alternate new name" which for girls is Eve. If you are a guy and you have the same name as the new name for the day then they give you the new name Adam. I've been a veil worker...that's how it works...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2010 10:15PM by evolution.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 10:21PM

I must have been extra "valiant" in my pre-earth life. I got a nice name-Rachael. Saying that name out loud,6 months ago,(I married in 1972 for cripes sake) was theraputic for me. I haven't a clue what dh's name was and I never cared. I think because I was barely 20 when I married in the temple,and new next to nothing about the church,I accepted it all easily. Although I NEVER nce had a spiritual experience there and hated to go.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 11:00PM

My special name, which I will be known throughout eternity, is Lucy. At least it is better than Huldah or Hulga. Even my ex said, "WHAT!" when I told him the name "through the veil." That was one of the things I looked forward to ALL MY LIFE is that new and special name. I've always hated the name Lucy.

My ex's name is Abinadi. It took some coaxing to get that out of him just a few years ago--YEARS after we left the church.

His sister's dog's name is Lucy. We get a big kick out of it every time she calls her dog. Even my TBM daughter laughs.

I love the idea that SisterSue's kids call her name out in Wal-Mart, too.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 01:13AM

cl2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My special name, which I will be known throughout
> eternity, is Lucy. At least it is better than
> Huldah or Hulga. Even my ex said, "WHAT!" when I
> told him the name "through the veil." That was one
> of the things I looked forward to ALL MY LIFE is
> that new and special name. I've always hated the
> name Lucy.
>
> My ex's name is Abinadi. It took some coaxing to
> get that out of him just a few years ago--YEARS
> after we left the church.
>
> His sister's dog's name is Lucy. We get a big kick
> out of it every time she calls her dog. Even my
> TBM daughter laughs.
>
> I love the idea that SisterSue's kids call her
> name out in Wal-Mart, too.

Ha I'm Lucy too!

I remember thinking the church can't be true because there's no way in hell I'm going by Lucy for eternity!

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 01:29PM

Hey Lucy...ju ga sum splainin to do!! (with Cuban accent)!! :)... you dont have red hair do ya cl2???

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 05:24PM

Nope--I don't have red hair.

Can you imagine the chaos when the men call forth their women?

Posted by: flyfisher ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 05:22PM

My wifes name was Lucy and the first thing I thought of was Peanuts character. Still do to remember it! Mine was Noah!

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 11:37PM

I don't remember mine. In fact, I don't think I remembered it after a few days. I have no idea what the wife's was (now ex-wife), but I'm sure she's got it engraved in her soul somewhere. Do they change it when they're re-sealed to the next guy? Somebody did tell me about that time (1979?) that it was the 'name of the day'.

Posted by: Uncle Max ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 11:42PM

Posted by: Way Out ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 11:49PM

Nope, not in Preston. I was endowed in October of 1989 in Boise, Idaho.

It always seemed weird to me especially after the tremendous advance in computer technology and then the internet, etc., that an omniscient supreme being would require people to know some secret "new name" and a bunch of stupid handshakes that are commonly known in the Masonic lodges as well. WTF??? Can't you just look in my heart and see if I am good enough to enter this so-called "heaven" you speak of? The omniscient creator of the universe can't think of anything cooler than a secret password and stupid handshakes?

Maybe all the parents on the board of 8-12 year-olds could ask their children of this age range to come up with interesting ideas as to how god could protect heaven from unworthy people entering therein. Then post the results here. I'm sure it'd be much more interesting than secret names and handshakes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2010 11:49PM by Way Out.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 11:58PM

If you forget your name, just call the temple and give them the date of your Endowment. On that day, everyone got the same name, unless their name was the same- for instance, if your name was Joseph and the new name was also Joseph, then your new name would be Adam.

Same with women- if you are named Josephina and the temple name is too, then your new name will be Eve.

At any rate, everyone gets the same name on the same day. The only revelation required is to turn on the computer and it will reveal the name of the day.

Posted by: LOL ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 12:04AM

Well at least they did not name you Hagar LOL.

My new name was Deborah and I never liked that name EVer because anything with Deb or Depp in it means "mentally deficient" in German.

Of course, that's exactly what I was for joining that silly cult as a teen LOL.

Posted by: Ms. ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 05:34PM

That's SOOO funny. My mother and sister-in-law are both named Deborah and they go by "Deb." I hate that nickname, so I always call them Deborah (with their permission). Now I have a reason beyond aesthetics (although I'll keep it to myself, of course).

Posted by: josh ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 12:31AM

I thought it was quite the coincidence, and I'm into coincidences. It doesn't matter if it was a fraud, the coincidence is still solid. I just smiled at the temple worker and was about to say, "seriously?" but he waved me along without even a smile.

Posted by: Stormy ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 12:53AM

You all need saint confirmation names that you can pick on your own...

any Catholic converts besides myself..

I picked St. Catherine of Siena, a doctrate of the Church and a mystic...it was interesting to get to pick a name.

stormy

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 01:33PM

Damn... i just remembered.... my confirmation name is......Joseph...oh no!! son of a crap.... does that mean i get to marry 14 year olds?? nah.... marry more than 1 woman?? hell that almost the definition of insane!! :)

Posted by: recentlyreleased ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 01:16AM

RITA! i love the beatles....... rita meter maid!!!!!!

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 02:36AM

Mine should have been RUTH - the name of my always hating me MIL. There I stould: a young beautiful bride named like the old hardhearded mother of her husband to be ... !! Weird!!

My parents gave me a wonderful name they carefully chose for me. No loving god would have to call me Ruuuuuth.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 10:27AM

Bah! Ruth! That's my ex's new name too. I wasn't gonna say anything, but when I saw your post, I spit my coffee out. LOL

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: elsiechristina ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 04:10AM

Hulda is a very nice scandinavian name - it means sweet, kind.
People here in Sweden are naming their little girls Hulda frequently now. Hope to have a grand daughter named Hulda.

Posted by: Nick Humphrey ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 04:18AM

Posted by: Little Bo Bleep ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 12:17PM

Esther. I liked it.....

Posted by: NotAMolly ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 01:09PM

I remember being kind of excited to find out my new name...I thought it would be special and unique to me. When the old lady with the bad breath leaned in and told me "The name is Eunice", I thought WTF?!? Seriously, what the hell kind of a name is that? All I could picture is an old librarian with a bun and horn-rimmed glasses. Yuck!

It wasn't until months later that I found out that everybody - and I mean EVERYBODY - who went through the temple on the same day got the same name. My roommate took out her endowments on the same day as me in different states (she was in Portland & was at Jordan River) and we were assigned the same name!

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 01:36PM

My wife and I were endowed on our wedding day in August 1952, in Idaho Falls.

We were never told that I could not tell her my new name, so as we were in the car driving to our honeymoon destination, I told her that my name was Enoch.

I commented that her new name was really odd (she had told me her name as I took her through the veil, of course).

"What's so odd about it?"

"Well, who ever heard of a woman named 'Nerry'?"

"It's MARY!, stupid!"

Date: October 19, 2010 02:42PM

ROFL!!! When my husband and I were in the celestial room, after he took me through the veil, I made sure to spell mine to him just like the temple worker did earlier, so he wouldn't think it was something different like Hulga (no offense Hulga up above lol) or Olga.

With all that whispering and everyone else watching, you never can be too sure exactly what you are hearing.

lol That is funny.

Posted by: JBryan ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 04:45PM

My new name was Jim Morrison. Right then and there they canceled my subscription to the ressurection.

It was really MANASEH

Posted by: FlirtandConvert ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 08:47PM

Mine was Emma.... which is sad because I was pregnant at the time and really wanted to name the baby Emma. After that, baby's name changed. Left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.