Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: KrisR ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 12:45PM

Today I came across on old high school friend on Facebook. She was taking her son to the MTC. His name? Kalob. I'm wondering if someone wanted to name him Kolob, but thought a wee bit better of it.

My BIL's dog is named Brigham. He wanted to name their 1st son that, but my sister said no.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 12:48PM

Brigham, Hyrum, Spencer, LeGrand, Zina, and I won't be surprised if some die hard TBM out there has a kid named McConkie.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 03:47PM

Zina I don't think is a very Mormon-y name. It is only associated to my great great great grandmother I think in Mormondumb.

http://www.babynameshub.com/girl-names/Zina.html

But in reading this, these people obviously are writing about the history of Zina Huntington.

" "We named our daughter Zina in 2011 after my great great grandmother who traveled across the United States in a covered wagon back in the 1800s and gave birth to my great grandfather on the plains. She was a great leader, midwife, and helped settle Utah. Her great uncle was one of the original signers of the US Constitution as well. My daughter is the spunkiest, most beautiful, original child I've ever met!" "

Here is the son born in Iowa.

Henry Chariton Jacobs
1846-1915​

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 01:05PM

I had a high school teacher with a middle name of Heber. and then there was a Heber in the Army. Both were Mormons of course, and you can imagine that the Army guys stuck out. People could not even pronounce it right.

but other real mormon names are Blake, Bryce, things like that. A long time ago here a guy pointed out that you could take a real Mormon first name like Blake or Craig, and combine it with a real mormon last name like Christensen or Hansen, and then look google the name and notice that most or all of them had some sort of Mormon identifier like going to BYU or 'two years voluntary service.'

Posted by: newnameabigail ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 01:07PM

Not kidding I had a missionary in my district his name is: MORONi Smith
Always funny when people name their kids these stupid names and aso pronounce them pretty stupid, like most af them do because they pronounce them in german and this sometimes sounds pretty odd and awkward.

Date: July 16, 2015 01:08PM

Oh, that reminds me we had a missionary named Nephi.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 01:09PM

Middle-to-lower Utah 'pioneer' names are also interesting, and somewhat unique.

My grandfather was Otho. My grandmother (other side) Ora. There are on both sides a number of other interesting and somewhat unique "O" names (Orton, for example). Wonder what their interest in "O" was?? ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2015 01:09PM by ificouldhietokolob.

Date: July 16, 2015 01:11PM

My mom's mom was Ora and my dad had an aunt Ora on my grandpa's side. They both had roots in southern Utah.

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 05:06PM

I used to work with a woman in SLC....wait for it...Utahna.

Date: July 16, 2015 06:47PM

Poor gal.

Posted by: hopefulhusband ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 01:18PM

cousin from salt lake city named their son Megatron.

months later, they later changed that to be the middle name.

yikes.

Date: July 16, 2015 01:20PM

Weirdest name yet.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 01:48PM

That might sound weird, but an uncle of mine has a step grandchild named Lucifer. The parents aren't Mormon, but the mother is from Sweden and chose that particular name.

As far as Mormon names go, I know of a Dallin living in Utah, so I do wonder if he was named after the Oaks guy since his dad works for the church.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2015 01:48PM by adoylelb.

Date: July 16, 2015 02:05PM

Wow! That's a new one!

Date: July 16, 2015 02:06PM

That was supposed to go under Megatron.

Posted by: GeezerDogMom ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 01:28PM

When I was realizing how false the church is, I transferred to a new ward because I was being shunned at my baptismal ward and thought maybe things might be different and better. Well, they weren't:

The new ward included a family whose sons were all named after BOM characters. The oldest boy is named Teancum. As a retired teacher, I truly suffer for this young man. What a crock of cuckoo crap this kid must endure!

Date: July 16, 2015 02:10PM

Were they the offspring of the Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites author? That guy has a Teancum.

Posted by: greenAngel ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 01:40PM

once when i was a kid a LDS family moved in that had all their kids named "Le-something." Males and females. They had LeGrand (a boy), LeMorgan (a girl), LeTaylor (a girl) and several more kids whose names escape me. They didn't last long on the East coast, they kept talking about how they didn't patronize places that are open on sunday (good luck getting gas, groceries, target stuff) and they kept going on and on about "the wickedness all around us all the time." A year or so after they moved in they ran screaming back to Idaho.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 02:09PM

In Mexico I met a couple of young men with the first name Elder, and wondered what would happen on their missions.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 02:11PM

I know a guy named Alma, a guy with Nephi for a middle name, and a guy named Mahonri. There was a kid named Moroni on my mission as well. I'm still waiting to meet a Shiz.

Date: July 16, 2015 02:14PM

Oh no. The naughty side of my brain just realized why Teancum is such a horrid name. Apparently JS had the WoW on his mind as well as sex. Those poor kids. It's an awful name.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 02:59PM

I have a grandson named Rockwell.

Surname?

Porter.

*sigh*

Posted by: Finance Clerk ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 03:14PM

It your grandson a ittle tike? Family lives outside the Morridor. They are all proud of his....like it's a good thing to be named after a murderer.

If not, there is more than one Rocwell Porter out there.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 03:48PM

If you look at my profile, you'll see my e-mail address. Drop me an e-mail and we'll compare notes...

**Note: I honestly don't know of an easy way to lookup a member's profile other than scrolling through the message listings in one of the forums and finding a post they've authored and clicking on their screen name if it's a hyperlink. If anyone else has a better way, I'm happy to hear it!

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 03:06PM

Date: July 16, 2015 03:35PM

Sad but true. I have an unusual made up first name too. That's why my kids all have traditional names spelled the traditional way.

Date: July 16, 2015 03:52PM

BTW, the girls doing the video are mean.

Posted by: claire ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 10:43PM

wastedtime Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfIehCrO4Zs

Oh, my god! Is this for real? I mean, I know it's making fun, but if it's even a little close to reality, I am DYING, here! And then the next one with the boy names is hilarious.

Just another reason I'm so glad I have never lived in Utah.

The mormon names I can think of around here are Dallin and Ammon.

And I know a family who has a son named Scout, which was one of the names in the Utah boy names vid.

Posted by: anon1234 ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 04:52PM

My son is called Spencer, because that was his great-great-grandmother's maiden name.

Spencer isn't necessarily a Mormon name...for instance, Spencer Tracy wasn't Mormon.

Posted by: greenAngel ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 06:35PM

Alma is actually an old female name in Appalachia.

Usually pronounced "All-ma."

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 06:43PM

I like shoes. Too bad I can't have anymore children. I could name one Dansko or Sketcher. Or even Dr. Scholl.

Posted by: Jesse ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 07:06PM

Knew an Ammon growing up in Texas. The family had moved from Utah. There was a guy named Joseph Smith at the last singles ward I attended before leaving.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 10:37PM

I know a 7 year old named Ammon, his TBM dad is a registered sex offender also. poor kid

Posted by: hawk ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 10:41PM

I know a twelve year old named Hinckley. Poor kid.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.