Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 07:32PM

He was alive 3 years ago.

http://applevalley-review.com/node/597

Here is a picture when he was younger.

http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/59210711/

Funny, they have a tab where you can check "opportunities."

So if I had a current temple recommend I could go do work for my not dead uncle.

Also, I find it funny but they have my father's name in twice. He changed his name at 18 taking his step-father's last name. The name which is his "new" first name and his old last name is ready for work because he is considered dead. Makes sense I guess since he never had that combination of names. He went from Rulon Jeffs Jr. to his name now.

So I could do work for my very much not dead father using a combination of his 17 year old name and his name now.

Isn't it wonderful and marvelous?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 07:37PM

Family Search sucks really bad.

They never provided substantive proofs for any claims..

they had the same people entered twenty times. It's really

a horrid place to do geneaology.

Posted by: sistermargarita ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 07:41PM

My aunt told me someone had done the temple work for my grandfather. He had gone through the temple for himself as a young man and he was still alive at the time the proxy work was done.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 07:42PM

Church records aren't too reliable. They misspelled my grandpa's last name and it screwed up all the other genealogy. As a TBM I was furious, now I could care less.

Date: July 16, 2015 08:27PM

Just another nail in the truth coffin.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 10:21PM

It was for me.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 10:34PM

Does you uncle know he is dead? Someone should tell him....

Date: July 17, 2015 11:45AM

From what I've heard he doesn't give two sh|ts about LDS Inc.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 10:35PM

Given what I was taught about the temple and "the spirit," as a young teen doing baptisms for the dead I would have insisted that if the temple had been fed a name that was incorrect (person still living, for example), I would have been supernaturally prevented from doing that baptism. You know, the dunker (me being the dunkee) would suddenly have a heart attack, or a flaming sword would appear in front of him preventing him from doing an invalid ordinance. Something like that, big and obvious and clearly magic.

The facts in this case are a bit disappointing. There's no magic, there's no inspiration, no flaming swords, nothing. There's just a big money-grubbing organization who can't keep decent records (probably because most of the people doing their work are unpaid volunteers who only care about getting their lily white behinds into the celestial kingdom), and who have less inspiration than the crystal ball reader on the corner downtown.

Oh, well. :)

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 11:47PM

They had my dad listed for years with a death date of 1977. He died in 2004. Yeah, not terribly reliable...

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 17, 2015 12:16AM

I am dead too!

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 17, 2015 05:23AM

They had my father's birthday wrong and refused to change it.

The site appears to be run by sanctimonious hypocritical bigots.

IMHO

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: July 17, 2015 12:37PM

No, no, the records can't be wrong. Your uncle is, in fact, dead. He just hasn't stopped breathing and moving yet.

Date: July 17, 2015 12:50PM

He probably has "lost the spirit" so he is dead to them.

Posted by: NYCGal ( )
Date: July 17, 2015 02:13PM

I found the records for my grandmother were totally wrong. It also appeared she had had temple work done many times after her death. Never mind she was endowed and temple married in life.

At this point, I decided genealogy is merely a parlor game for board LDS housewives.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: July 17, 2015 02:27PM

FamilySearch had me listed as deceased. I had to jump through hoops to

1) Prove I am who I am.
2) Prove I am not dead.

Idiots.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 17, 2015 03:50PM

The supposed best record keepers in the world are only concerned about keeping records of money. They don't care about anything else. They know the temple is just busy work to keep the money coming in. All they need is a name to keep the worker bees in business. Doesn't matter if names or dates are right or if the work has been done 2 dozen times.

I have recently realized that I was never legally married to my temple-married ex-husband. I was trying to get a copy of our marriage certificate (all I ever had was the non-registered thing they give you at the temple). I wanted to have it on file in case (god-forbid) he should kick the bucket before I retire and I can make the case for a widow's pension in SSI.

However, I guess that sometimes they bother to send the records to the county for recording and sometimes they don't. The county can find no record of my marriage. I'll eventually push it if I have to and take the church to task if it means money in my pocket. But for now, I love the idea that I lived in sin for 18 years and was never really married to the bastard. Thank you mor(m)ons for making my day!

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: July 17, 2015 05:50PM

Is it really a bad thing if the church lists you as dead?

Date: July 17, 2015 06:11PM

I don't think so. It was just a revelation on how off the mark they are in their "temple work."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2015 06:11PM by Elder Berry.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.