Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Batmania ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 03:49AM

Agree? Disagree? Discuss.

Admin note:
This thread was started earlier by you and deleted, yet you started another one knowing we can not watch all the time. This topic is closed. The folks who posted in response are correct.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2015 05:18PM by Eric K.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 03:53PM

Muslim extremists are more gullible than Mormons. They are willing to suffer, sacrifice, die, and kill for their religion more than Mormons are.

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 04:02PM

No. And, damn, does this contribute to the notion among some members that ex-Mo's are bigoted.

By any meaningful statistical interpretation, Mormons are average to above average intelligence. For example, here's some information regarding educational outcomes in Utah:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/11/state-education-rankings-_n_894528.html

In math and education, Utah is 21/51.

As far as literacy goes:
https://nces.ed.gov/naal/estimates/StateEstimates.aspx

Utah has a 9% illiteracy rate, which is in the best quintile and about on par with Connecticut.

Educational achievement and intelligence among Mormons is equal to or greater than the average.

Anecdotally, 3 of the top 10 students at my high school were LDS, in California. We're all out now (for a variety of reasons), but being Mormon certainly didn't make us stupid.

I'd also argue that the statement "Mormons are dumber than any other people" is dehumanizing. So they believe a bunch of weird stuff; so does almost everybody else.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 04:35PM

Agreed. It's not that mormons are dumb, it's that so many of them get programmed to believe cultural fairy tales.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 04:47PM

Disagree. Mormons tend to value education at least and are extremely good at compartmentalizing and rationalizing the more nonsensical parts of their religion.

Most humans are credulous and follow the cultural expectations, which, unfortunately few question.

I suspect that if somehow the lame religions died out, the majority of humans would create something just as dumb to mindlessly follow.

Posted by: Craig ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 04:51PM

I would disagree vehemently. I know many people who are very smart, doctors, lawyers, accountants, entrepreneurs, literal geniuses. When I first left the church I almost felt repulsion towards them because I could not understand in my mind how someone as smart as they could be deceived by the church. I decided then that they just chose to believe and that made me disdain them even more. I have since come to understand that there are many reasons for people to remain in the church regardless of how smart they are.

Belonging to the church does not make them less intelligent it simply means that they belong to the church for some personal reason and it is not my place to judge them for doing so. I have adopted the philosophy that I do not know any person's complete history except mine and sometimes I wonder if I even remember my history correctly, and thus I don't know what they have been through or what it is that drives them to be who they are. That is a completely personal thing that each person has and nobody's is the same.

Live and let live however you want!!!

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 05:08PM

Batmania

This thread was started earlier by you and deleted, yet you started another one knowing we can not watch all the time. This topic is closed. The folks who posted in response are correct.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.