Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 01:14PM

On Monday I had a biopsy performed at a urologist's office. On Tuesday I started feeling very weak and by the evening severe chills and uncontrollable shaking. I could not drink a glass of water without spilling. My wife drove me to the hospital in Chattanooga. We had to wait in the emergency for a bit. As soon as I was in the ER they noted my fever, low blood pressure and shortness of breath. They started IVs immediately with a broad spectrum of antibiotics. I was admitted soon after. Several antibiotics were tried until this last one worked. It was confirmed in the cultures yesterday as the best and luckily the last choice I had. Medical science is running out of effective antibiotics.

This is a serious situation. Fortunately I was treated early. My blood pressure did drop to 80/55 with a 103 fever. Another day may have had a different outcome. Just a note if you have an injury or surgical procedure and suddenly develop a fever, it is prudent to get it evaluated immediately.

Thursday evening while I am lying on the hospital bed with IVs, wires etc all over me and feeling absolutely miserable, my cell phone rings. I did not look at who was calling as I assumed it was a friend or neighbor who was watching our house and cat. My wife had stepped out to get something to eat. It was from Honda customer satisfaction. We had just bought a new car 2 weeks ago. The woman asked if I was Eric and I said, "Listen I am in the hospital and very ill, can you call back in a couple of weeks?" She replied, "OK, enjoy the rest of your evening." When my wife returned to the room, I told her the world is becoming filled with mindless zombies.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 01:20PM

Eric, it's me. You know, *winks winks* me. Anyway, hope you get well soon. So sorry you're Ill. It was great to finally meet you. Take care of yourself.

Posted by: HopefulHusband(loggedout) ( )
Date: July 20, 2015 03:48PM

I kept waiting for the part where you explain how you know the church is true because you went into the ER so quickly and they caught it before it killed you.

/sarc

recover quickly!!!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 01:26PM

My DH took me to the hospital on May 16th with it. They also said it led to systemic inflamitory response syndrome. I've had adrenal failure several times and I think it feels the same. So I can relate to your situation completely. I hope you're feeling so much better. I'm very glad you have a good caring spouse to watch out for you as I do. That makes all the difference!

Take care and be well soon. Thank you so much for letting us know. I'm sure many here were concerned as I was.

Posted by: BFP ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 01:27PM

"Enjoy the rest of your evening"...omg.

That was close. I'm sure you were sweating it...litterally and figuratively. Whew. To many resistant strains these days. Hope you continue to feel better.

Kidney infection from dehydration? TN is a humid place.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 01:34PM

How scary for you Eric. I hope you heal fast .... thats an awful thing to go through.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 01:34PM

Oh dear. I'm sorry to hear that. I had an infection after a tumour removal in '99, but they caught it very quickly. I was on IV antibiotics for a week and then they sent me home with huge antibiotic pills to take for about a month.

My Dad got sepsis 4 years ago after a spinal fuse. It was bad. I was so frustrated because I kept saying to the nurses, "This is not my Dad. My Dad is NOT incoherent." He would constantly keep asking me if it was Tuesday. They'd just assumed that because he was old, he was a tad feeble minded, which just isn't the case at all.

By the time they finally listened to me because his fever had spiked so high, it was pretty serious. My Dad is 85 now. If he hadn't been someone who had always taken such excellent care of himself, I'm not sure that he would have made it. He's fine now, but instead of the 4 days in the hospital that he was supposed to be in there for, he was stuck in there for two months, on IV antibiotics.

So yeah, catching it early seems to be the key. I hope that you're not stuck in there for too long. It's frustrating to have your entire life put on hold, but as you mentioned, it's important to make sure that you get it taken care of.

All the best. Take care and I hope you heal quickly.

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 01:41PM

Close call. Get well soon! Stop scaring your wife! =)

My BP was that low after knee surgery... It seems you made it to the hospital just in time. (Those reading, if you are that ill, do whatever you need to do to get treated. You could wait hours at some hospitals before an exam...)

You should tell your Honda dealer... (They don't want nit wits calling their customers... You might get free wiper blades.)

Take it easy so you recover completely!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 01:57PM

I'm sorry to hear that, Eric. I'm glad you got it treated quickly. Feel better soon.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 02:00PM

I am so glad you got to the hospital when you did, and that they were able to intervene and start to normalize what was going on!

Even though you are feeling crappy now, it's nice to know that much better-feeling days ARE ahead...

...and here's to you getting to THAT point ASAP!!

:)

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 02:39PM

I hope that you recover well and as quickly as possible.

I'm sure that you know how much we all value you and your contributions.

Here's hoping that all of your medical concerns are resolved easily!

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 02:57PM

Hope you're well again really soon.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 03:03PM

Oh my god, I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. That sounds horrible and very uncomfortable. I know it's getting harder to treat with antibiotics and I hope it doesn't turn out to be a MRSA strain. Hope you feel better soon.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 03:07PM

I glad you caught it in time. My DH had sepsis about a month after a gall bladder surgery and I barely got him to urgent care in time at the first occurrence. There were some frightening moments when I found out how serious it was. He had to keep a big bottle of Cipro handy for subsequent attacks, which came every few months for several years until he went in and had the botched gall bladder operation corrected with another surgery. Many emergency trips and a few 911 calls in the intervening years.

Take good care of yourself. I hope the medical team gets the problem cleared up the first time.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 03:54PM

Don't always be stubborn and listen to your wife! And that means take some TIME to recover! I hope she is keeping your car keys and licence hidden because we KNOW you Buster!

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 04:05PM

Sad to hear of your condition.

Bloody antibiotic resistance isn't your fault nor is it mine yet we are all at its mercy.

Non-antibiotic remedies are the only recourse some hospitals have to turn to in order to ward off plague with natural substances such as honey of all things.

So be sure to have some honey as well as paying heed to your honey lol.

Posted by: kj ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 05:38PM

Yes, it is serious. So happy to hear you're on a antibiotic that is fighting the infection.

Sending you good thoughts & healing energy. And a big thank you to your wife for getting you to the ER. And thank you for the headsup regarding symptoms.

Be well soon.

Hope you will keep us updated.

KJ/AnonyMs

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 05:56PM

Take care. Wrapping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers, Eric.

Posted by: roomwithaview ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 06:11PM

Got it from just a razor cut a few yrs ago while visiting TN/GA area. TERRIFYING experience. Hospitalized, surgery needed, hospitalized again. Total of 16 wks of IV antibiotics 2x a day followed by oral antibiotics for a YEAR per doc just to be safe. Easily could have died. Sending good thoughts & prayers your way.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 06:26PM

So sorry you're having to go through this! I'm glad the antibiotic is working, though, and hope you're back on your feet again soon. Much love and healing thoughts going your way.

Thank you, Mrs. K for taking such good care of Eric!

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 06:47PM

Goodness! That's awful. I hope you get better very soon.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 07:17PM

I wish you well. Fortunately, we are in the 21st century and that makes things infinitely better! 100 years ago, things wouldn't be good.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 07:49PM

I'm so sorry to hear this. When an infection gets that far, we could have lost you quickly. I'm so glad you went to the hospital when you did.

Rest and recover.

"Enjoy the rest of your evening." SHEESH! Mindless zombies is right.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 09:07PM

Sending you many get-well cyber {{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGZ}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

And as a get-well present I will spare you the long tales of my two bouts with sepsis.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 09:18PM

That's too freakin scary. Glad you're on the mend. Take care of yourself. You will be in my prayers. You know....

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 09:48PM

so r u satisfied with the new Honda or not ?

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 11:02PM

Was the biopsy the cause of the infection? Carrie and I hope you get back to normal soon. Please give Kathy our regards.

BTW, I'm having another stent installed Tuesday morning. Hopefully my last. Now all I have to do is lose about 40 pounds and eat rabbit food for the rest of my life.

Posted by: Calico ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 11:13PM

So sorry this happened to you, hope you get better soon!

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 11:26PM

Here's to hoping you have a speedy and complete recovery.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 11:28PM

Heal quickly, Eric.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 19, 2015 11:34PM

I'm so happy to hear they found an antibiotic that worked. Yes, in deed, they are running out of effective antibiotics as nobody is researching and making new ones. Terrible situation.
Thrilled to hear you were treated quickly and on the mend!!
Good news indeed!!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: July 20, 2015 04:50AM

Get well soon :-)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 20, 2015 02:06PM

Get well soon, Eric. Best wishes for you.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: July 20, 2015 02:25PM

Last year we almost lost my FIL to sepsis. Late last year/early this year we almost lost my MIL to the same.

Nasty stuff! Very nasty!

Get well soon!

Posted by: PaintingintheWIN ( )
Date: July 20, 2015 03:14PM

Eric get some rest! You & your wife were on your game
& so observant, got you there in time

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 20, 2015 04:15PM

My next door neighbour got it from a bug bite. The poor guy hasn't been the same since and yet my Dad recovered completely. It's definitely a nasty thing.

Posted by: dejavue ( )
Date: July 20, 2015 04:41PM

My sympathies are with you. Lots of rest, fluid, and antibiotics. (I, too, recently went down this road 1 week in the hospital, 10 weeks of daily IV antibiotics. Got my sepsis from Hemo dialysis catheter that had been left in after I had been returned to the PD procedure.) Sigh....

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: July 20, 2015 10:34PM

Get well soon, Eric. Been thete and done that.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: July 20, 2015 11:37PM

It is shocking how fast this hits. I will continue to miss work for awhile. Fortunately there are some great folks covering for me at work. This antibiotic is effective and I will hopefully not have to be readmitted. Each day without a fever is great.

It was so sad to read of the missionary dying. I hope our little advertising will warn Mormons that they need to make sure their sons and daughters are safe while on missions. The GAs have no compassion for those sacrificing for the corporation.

Again, thanks

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: July 20, 2015 11:37PM

Sepsis? Horrible stuff Eric! Husband spent an entire year recently in the hospital with that mess.

So glad you caught it early and that you are healing...

;o)

Posted by: alx71tx ( )
Date: July 20, 2015 11:49PM

If there is ever anyone who deserves great blessings it is Eric K. I've met him IRL. He is a very good person. The world is lucky to have him.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 20, 2015 11:58PM

Best wishes to you for a complete return to good health, Eric. From my 2010 to 2013 my wife and in both had double total knee replacements (and a redo on the left one for her), a burst appendix (her) and a large kidney stone removal (me) and our overriding fear was picking up and infection in the hospital. Thankfully we dodged that bullet. Glad they found an antibiotic to control your infection.

Ron Burr

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: July 21, 2015 02:33AM

Listen to your wife and the docs, you'll be cruising on the streets again soon!!

my brother has Parkinsons, hence no feeling below the legsfor some reason. he has had to use diapers, catheter for the past 10 years. He has had sepsis twice.

The reason is he gets uti, and he doesn't know, so it turns into kidney infection, then bam. He has been very lucky though the last one he had a heart attack and now has a-fib caused by damage by the infection.

He also doesn't have a wife to get him to the hospital. He collapsed out of his super duper wheelchair on 200 west in provo from it.....

Gosh I just realized there are somany scary stories, probably not the best to hear right now, eh? but I think what we mean is that it is fought!! Rest rest rest!! I don't know what I wouldhave done without this site......

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: July 21, 2015 02:51AM

Eric I'm so sorry to hear about the sepsis. My father had it and it is not anything to take lightly. It is very serious and I'm glad that you are responding to treatment. I hope that your biopsy results brought good news of no lasting consequences. Thank you for all you have done for all of us over these many years. I can never thank you enough for starting this site, for your bravery and courage. You sir, are a man among men. Sending you big, healing hugs from this MexMom.

Posted by: Slumbering Minstrel ( )
Date: July 21, 2015 02:58AM

Get well soon...screw that! Get well now!
Sorry to hear about all this Eric. I hope you feel better soon. And, um, enjoy the rest of your evening...? ;-)

Posted by: Bicentennial Ex ( )
Date: July 22, 2015 01:45AM

This is a get well soon card.

<get well soon>

BcE

Posted by: Tyrrhenia ( )
Date: July 22, 2015 09:58AM

Get well soon!

Posted by: Darksparks ( )
Date: July 22, 2015 11:12AM

I decided against doing it myself and will instead just let Nature take its course. Although I have no wish for suffering, my fear of death is diminished after realizing that God is not going to punish me forever in an after life.

Get well soon, and may Nature be kind to you. You are a hero to us all.

Posted by: boilerluv ( )
Date: July 22, 2015 11:30AM

Wishing you well! My daughter had sepsis several years ago and was in very critical condition for about a week, so I know how scary that is for you! Since they caught it so soon, I'm sure your outcome will be fine! And re the phone call, "Enjoy the rest of your evening," when my mother died, my sister and I went to a local shop to buy a nice frame for the picture of our mother that we planned to place on top of the closed casket. We told the woman at the store what we wanted it for, chose one, and paid for it. As she handed us the bag, she chirped, "Thanks so much...have a wonderful day!" :) Some people have cotton where their brains should be!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.