Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: July 21, 2015 02:29PM

Oliver Cowdery has always been somewhat of a mystery. One has to wonder how anyone who personally recorded Joseph's “translation’ and was present when the Angel Moroni displayed the golden plates, John the Baptist restored the Aaronic Priesthood, and Peter James and John restored the Melchizedek Priesthood could ever stray from the Church. Unless, of course, he was in on the scam from the start and willingly supported Joseph’s lies. We now have concrete evidence that he was and it’s clearly indicated on the Mormon Church controlled Joseph Smith Papers website.

For a little background:

Joseph Smith reportedly received a number of "thus saith the Lord" revelations during 1828 – 1831 many of which resulted from using his usual treasure finding/BoM “seer stone in the hat trick”. These were recorded verbatim as Joseph dictated them. While the originals have conveniently disappeared like so many other Mormon documents, nevertheless, they were copied into a book of revelations which was used to produce the Book of Commandments, an earlier version of the Doctrine and Covenants. Many of these revelations were also published in “The Evening and Morning Star” at Independence, Missouri and continued in Kirtland, Ohio after the printing press was destroyed. These same issues were subsequently reprinted at Kirtland as “Evening and Morning Star” with “The” dropped from the title.

Quoting the official statement now published on the Joseph Smith Papers website found at: http://josephsmithpapers.org/paperSummary/revelations-printed-in-evening-and-morning-star-january-1835-june-1836?p=14

"Though touted as a reprint that would correct typographical and other errors, Evening and Morning Star actually contained significant changes to the revelation texts. In the first issue, editor Oliver Cowdery explained the revisions he was making in the reprinted versions of the revelations:

On the revelations we merely say, that we were not a little surprised to find the previous print so different from the original. We have given them a careful comparison, assisted by individuals whose known integrity and ability is uncensurable. Thus saying we cast no reflections upon those who were entrusted with the responsibility of publishing them in Missouri, as our own labors were included in that important service to the church, and it was our unceasing endeavor to have them correspond with the copy furnished us. We believe they are now correct. If not in every word, at least in principle.

Despite the implications of Cowdery’s statement, very few of the changes in the reprint represent a restoration back to the earliest text, though Cowdery consulted early manuscript sources when reprinting some of the revelations… they were edited in 1835 to reflect current organization, doctrine, and practice, which had continued to develop since the revelations were first dictated…Most of the changes made to revelations in the early issues of Evening and Morning Star are also reflected in the same revelations as published in the first edition of the Doctrine and Covenants (1835), and the editing work on that volume, in turn, influenced the presentation of revelations in later issues of Evening and Morning Star."

In summary, Oliver Cowdery’s claim that the original printing contained a number of errors which required correction is clearly an out and out lie as now reluctantly admitted by TSCC. Since they have finally made available (after 180 years) the actual revelations book it is abundantly clear that those published in the Book of Commandments and the earlier “The Evening and Morning Star” were what Joseph Smith had really dictated, and not the extensively revised ones now published in the Doctrine and Covenants. Obviously, Oliver Cowdery was willing to lie for Joseph in this, and very likely, the claimed, but poorly documented, priesthood ordinations by heavenly visitors as well. NO VISITS. NO PRIESTHOOD AUTHORITY. NO RESTORED CHURCH.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 21, 2015 02:41PM

Yes, no doubt he was.
Later on in life, he essentially admitted as much, but didn't want to go "public" because he felt it demonstrated his own lack of integrity, and as a then practicing lawyer, that was a big problem.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 21, 2015 02:44PM

It is telling that The First Vision wasn't as important back then but was documented several times and authority (economy of The Lord) granting wasn't.

Telling because what it is telling me is that most people like Cowdery just just assumed angelic visitation granted authority. It took others to use the angelic ordination stories to fortify the authority story after the founder was dead.

Posted by: whiteandelightsome ( )
Date: July 21, 2015 02:49PM

Does anyone else ship Oliver and Joseph together?

Date: July 21, 2015 02:50PM

As far as I can tell, the people who were clearly in on the scam were Joseph, Oliver, and Sidney. Is there anyone else that we're missing?

Date: July 21, 2015 03:18PM

I contend Emma was in on it from the beginning. She never truly converted but was the number one supporter of Mormonism - until her prophet died.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2015 03:18PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: July 22, 2015 09:59AM

His wife obviously 'knew' and just as much as called him a "dumb $hit".

Date: July 21, 2015 02:52PM

No. Joseph clearly had it for women. He only used men to help him fetch more women.

Date: July 21, 2015 02:55PM

My theory for Joseph's motivations is that he was a severely repressed homosexual man. He tried to get his many wives as a way to prove to himself that he was straight. He died without confessing his undying love for Sidney Rigdon.

Date: July 21, 2015 03:19PM

whiteandelightsome Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He died without confessing
> his undying love for Sidney Rigdon.

Ewe. Just ewe. There has to be someone else for your theory. I personally believe he was like most hetero men with access to women like he had.

Date: July 21, 2015 03:27PM

> he was a severely repressed homosexual man.

Well, that's certainly original. I've read a number of articles and books concerned with what may have motivated Joseph Smith, and none of them have concluded this was the cause.

Date: July 21, 2015 04:40PM

It answers why Joseph impregnated so few of his wives. And it also answers what Jospeh and Oliver were doing during their supposed angel visits. It was the perfect cover up.

Date: July 21, 2015 04:50PM

> It answers why Joseph impregnated so few of his wives.

How do we know that? One theory is that Joseph had the assistance of a doctor good at abortions. Another theory is that since a women is only fertile for a few days each month, and he only visited (and had sexual intercourse) on the sly, it was the luck of the draw that worked in his favor.

After Fanny Alger's unplanned pregnancy, Joseph, with one exception, confined himself to other men's wives. Perhaps he found his "abortion doctor" after this and went back to young virgins.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: July 21, 2015 02:56PM

Also telling is the fact that another of the BoM "witnesses," David Whitmer, also was aware of the changes and innovations between the original revelations in the Book of Commandments and the later D&C versions, and it was a major reason he left the church, according to his account in "An Address to All Believers In Christ."

But it didn't bother Cowdery.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: July 21, 2015 03:02PM

How did Martin Harris fit into the picture?

Date: July 21, 2015 03:15PM

Martin Harris was targeted by Joseph Oliver and Sidney because of the fact that he was a gulible idiot who would believe anything.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: July 21, 2015 03:40PM

And he had money.

Date: July 21, 2015 03:52PM

...or at least owned farm land for which he was able to secure a $3,000 mortgage to pay for the initial printing of the BoM. Harris wife, of course, was opposed to him doing this and the slower than expected sales of the book caused them to eventually lose the farm.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: July 21, 2015 04:04PM

D&C 19 is the story of Jesus threatening Martin if he didn't pay up:

1 I am Alpha and Omega, Christ the Lord; yea, even I am he, the beginning and the end, the Redeemer of the world.

2 I, having accomplished and finished the will of him whose I am, even the Father, concerning me—having done this that I might subdue all things unto myself—

3 Retaining all power, even to the destroying of Satan and his works at the end of the world, and the last great day of judgment, which I shall pass upon the inhabitants thereof, judging every man according to his works and the deeds which he hath done.

4 And surely every man must repent or suffer, for I, God, am endless.

5 Wherefore, I revoke not the judgments which I shall pass, but woes shall go forth, weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth, yea, to those who are found on my left hand.

6 Nevertheless, it is not written that there shall be no end to this torment, but it is written endless torment.

7 Again, it is written eternal damnation; wherefore it is more express than other scriptures, that it might work upon the hearts of the children of men, altogether for my name’s glory.

I don't know, but this doesn't sound like nice Jesus of current Mormon doctrine.

15 Therefore I command you to repent—repent, lest I smite you by the rod of my mouth, and by my wrath, and by my anger, and your sufferings be sore—how sore you know not, how exquisite you know not, yea, how hard to bear you know not.

All these threats and the blabbing about how much of a badass he is just to get to this:

25 And again, I command thee that thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s wife; nor seek thy neighbor’s life.

26 And again, I command thee that thou shalt not covet thine own property, but impart it freely to the printing of the Book of Mormon, which contains the truth and the word of God—

Why didn't he just say "Stop screwing your neighbor's wife and give Joe your money"?

Date: July 21, 2015 04:30PM

And the D&C version you quoted is a softer version. The original published as Book of Commandments Chapter 16 uses much stronger language. Joseph may have later realized (or had it pointed out) just how damning his God sounded, hence Joseph's revised softer version.

It's rather interesting that Joseph could present this revelation along with numerous others as words directly spoken by Jesus himself and later freely change them without any indication whatever. One is left to wonder just what the words "thus saith the Lord" actually meant to Joseph Smith.

Date: July 21, 2015 03:57PM

"...the claimed, but poorly documented, priesthood ordinations by heavenly visitors as well. NO VISITS. NO PRIESTHOOD AUTHORITY. NO RESTORED CHURCH."

Very poorly documented...as in no contemporary documentation whatsoever. There is contemporary documentation for what Joe called the restoration of the high priesthood AFTER the church was organized. Rough Stone Rolling includes the details, which I don't remember...just that it was early 1830's (before any mention of the restoration stories told today), several were present, it was in someone's home, attendees reported demonic possession, someone floating in mid-air, etc... Not sure why this documented story isn't the one missionaries teach their investigators.

Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: July 21, 2015 04:02PM

Emma was in on it. Whether this was ever overtly discussed as a con I personally doubt it. IMO I think they went along as knowing 'believers'.

The thing that gives Emma up is the polygamy revelation. If she knows joseph is a prophet, and she'd either witnessed miracles or been party to them, then why does she rejects t the polygamy revelation and give Hyrum such a huge ear bashing.

She knew it was a scam in her heart, but when she became a victim and her reputation and seat as the power queen of Mormonism was undermined there was no way she was having it.

It's an odd thought, but her letter brought him back from Iowa to face jail. Although I doubt intentional involvement smith had listened to her on the word of wisdom and took advice from her. Her letter led him to death.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: July 21, 2015 11:17PM

I believe that as Emma saw the money flowing in from the church she just sort of went with it all but when JS introduced polygamy as a way to legitimize his philandering she finally put her foot down. Even then, she was still about the money.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: July 22, 2015 04:38AM

Did Emma sending her letter imply that she would reveal all the problems, including the initial fraud, if Joe didn't return from Iowa?

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: July 21, 2015 04:45PM

Not only was Cowdery a liar and a fraud, he was also a lawyer and generally knew how to protect his reputation, even after he left the church.

Posted by: Unbelievable ( )
Date: July 22, 2015 08:13AM

Don't you think the current powers that be are in on the scam, too? The scam never stopped since JS and OC. It has just expanded.

Date: July 22, 2015 09:58AM

I think at least some of them know. Others are probably just deluded TBM's and the dishonest among them probably help shelter them...they might not want the others to find out for fear of losing their cushy "apostle" gig. Of course, if you were Monson, wouldn't you be thinking "It's been 50 years!...why the hell haven't I seen Jesus yet, heard his voice, received a revelation, etc...?!"

Date: July 22, 2015 12:47PM

Unbelievable Wrote:
> Don't you think the current powers that be are in
> on the scam, too? The scam never stopped since JS
> and OC. It has just expanded.

Of course they are. Mormonism has been, and continues to be, just another false religion.

I have recently been re-reading "A Gathering of Saints" Robert Lindsey's excellent book on the entire Mark Hofmann affair ( http://www.amazon.com/Gathering-Saints-Story-Murder-Deceit/dp/0671651129 ). What really struck me is the fact that in the entire four year period (1981-1985) that the highest Mormon officials including Gordon B. Hinckley and Dallin Oaks were directly involved with Hofmann in acquiring over FORTY historic documents from him, not one of them was ever told by god that they were forgeries. They swore Hofmann to secrecy regarding the documents contents and them hid them away in "The First Presidency's Vault". On several occasions, they lied to the press and to the investigating officers denying they held various documents.

This from "God's only true and living church on the face of the whole earth". Give me a break!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.