Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: oneflewwest ( )
Date: July 23, 2015 12:03PM

Long story but I'll try to be quick. So a friend of DW has a brother on a mission in South America, he and his companion were leaving an appointment when a guy with a knife stops them and asks for their wallets, they gladly give up their money and then the guy stabs the friends brother and runs off.

He ends up going to the hospital with a stab wound but it isn't too serious, the doctors on call end up talking with mission president and the mission doctor prior to doing anything. Instead of sewing him up like they should have they follow the mistranslated instructions of the mission doctor and end up opening him up more and doing major surgery.

The whole time DW's friend and her family are freaking out because all they have been told from mission HQ is "He was stabbed and is in the hospital" Eventually the mission president calls and lets them know he is ok but is really vague on the details, they don't find out the whole story until their son emails them a week later.

So after major surgery and a couple of days of recovery MP tells the mishies they can take it easy in their apartment for a few days before getting back to work more full time.

Here is the real kicker, they leave him and comp in the hospital and tell him to follow doctors orders, they don't even offer to pick him up in one of the mission cars he ends up having to take the bus back to his apartment!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cristib ( )
Date: July 23, 2015 12:10PM

Some how everyone that is TBM will turn this into a, "See, God IS looking out for us!"

But, DARNIT! I was hoping he wisened up while in the hospital, and decided to just take the bus back to his folks' place (folks being in on the deal to just come home)!

I think you should really give the friends some info... like on the 'front page' of this forum... a referral to a good lawyer!

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: July 23, 2015 12:35PM

Fucking missions

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 23, 2015 01:12PM

My last companion, a greenie, Elder Garibay, got into a fight with a dump truck driver who almost ran us down. We had to jump out of his path and Elder Garibay, who'd grown up in East LA, yelled at him. The truck braked hard and came to a stop. This was on a side street the truck had turned onto from Via Tlalpan, in Colonia Campestre-Churubusco. The driver got out, waving a machete at us and yelling.

Elder Garibay started running towards him. We were with two other elders and the three of us watched him for a couple of seconds and then decided we needed to go get him and get away from there.

But we were too late. Elder Garibay went charging in and caught the first swing of the machete with his left hand and used his right hand and arm to start beating the crap out of the guy. After the guy picked himself up off the turf and retreated to his truck, we had to take Elder Garibay to a hospital to get his hand stitched up. There was no nerve or ligament damage, just a lot of stitches.

We never told anyone and he paid the hospital bill himself. I think I ruined him for the mission, although I don't think it would have taken much to do so, from some of his stories about driving his Mustang on the few freeways LA had back in the 1960s. I can't remember his first name, so Google can't help me.

Hey, Elder Garibay, if you're out there, gimme a shout out!

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: July 23, 2015 01:37PM

The mission president should have been right there in the hospital with the young missionary as well as calling the local police. Totally uncaring and irresponsible action in my opinion by the MP. The missionary is hurt.....how can he take care of this situation by himself?

The MP's number one duty should be the safety of the missionaries. It is not as I see it. Their #1 duty is getting the stats to be the #1 mission in bringing in converts.....this is where the emphasis always is. Young people, new to the area, not properly prepared IN THE LEAST for the culture they are in, not properly prepared for the dangers they might face.......the issues go on and on.

Young missionaries are not safe out there and should not be there in the first place. They need to be chasing their dreams that young people have at this age.

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: July 23, 2015 03:04PM

Why do parents tolerate this abuse? If that was the mission president's son, the world would have stopped spinning.

You need a website to compile all these incidents. If the missionary won't report it, family members can post the details.

Recently I read on RfM that a mission pres had one doctor for all the missionaries who kept diagnosing/performing an alarming number of appendectomy surgeries. Parents wouldn't be informed until later. My brother had to ride on a bus to another city in Argentina, alone, to the hospital for an appendectomy.

They are simply numbers/pawns to LDS Inc.

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: July 23, 2015 06:02PM

All some MPs care about is running for GA. The missionaries are just pawns.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: July 24, 2015 02:17PM

I agree with this poster. I also have to say this story is horrific to me! My cousin that came home last year had been robbed at gun point twice! My very TBM aunt said if she'd known about both times she wouldn't have wanted my cousin to stay out. It's so disturbing that the MP's could really care less. My MP was great... It was his wife that got after me and other missionaries about being sick. The MP's wife was always telling us to get over it (that was her response to any kind of complaining).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2015 02:18PM by brandywine.

Posted by: brothernotofjared ( )
Date: July 23, 2015 05:02PM

Missionaries are nucking futs for agreeing to this bullshit. And this is just one more story that proves it.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: July 23, 2015 05:29PM

Posted by: cristib ( )
Date: July 23, 2015 05:45PM

lurking in Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Send him the link!
>
> http://utahinjury.com/missionaryinjurylawyers/

YES! YES!

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: July 23, 2015 06:28PM

This is just as bad as that missionary in Scotland with those seizures!!! Did they ever take him to a hospital!????

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 24, 2015 04:05AM

I think if it had been me, I probably would have been given pain pills for the wound. That would do the trick.

Had I been Stateside, I would have used my ATM card to keep on going until I reached home, and tell my parents, "I need to stay here until this has healed. Nobody told me otherwise, they just stuck me on a bus, so I came home."

If he didn't have enough money to get home, sell the damned pain pills. . .

But there ya go. I'm thinking like an exmo again.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 24, 2015 02:05PM

Date: July 24, 2015 02:29PM

I pity the poor MPs! They aren't given precise instructions on how to act like spiritual giants.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 24, 2015 05:43PM

Awful! Par for the (lds) course.

Posted by: wannabfree ( )
Date: July 24, 2015 05:59PM

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. My MP and his troll, err wife, were infamous for responding to all calls of sick missionaries as follows:
"Did your companion give you a blessing? Are you drinking enough water? Keep working and if it doesn't get better in 3 days I'll call you." Serious, they would magically know if we were better or not in three days. this was in Brazil btw with free clinics everywhere. It hit a point where I would just take a comp to the clinic not even bothering to call the MP's troll, as she never answered anyway.

As for robberies, I count myself really lucky. I was held up by knife or gunpoint more than a dozen times but never had them take anything. It was a combo of being quick on my feet and not having anything worth a damn on me. My comps were always so impressed by how receptive to the spirit I was in those situations where at times they literally were pissing themselves. Missions are the worst. I had an elder in my zone come down with Dengue and it was obviously Dengue, only to have the MP chew me out for taking him to the hospital where he stayed for 2 weeks. Both that elder and I are now free of the shackles of cultdom.

Posted by: ThatLittleBriggyWentWeeWeeWee ( )
Date: July 24, 2015 06:52PM

This is disturbing.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: July 24, 2015 08:50PM

No joke intended, let them squirm in the name of "Jerk"Jesus.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: July 24, 2015 09:13PM

I've been mugged twice in the US, once at gunpoint. Fortunately, I was never injured, but the 2nd time was very traumatic.

It took me months before I could walk around town without fear of being mugged. Since I was mugged on a Sunday afternoon in a nice neighborhood, I was very fearful of walking around alone.

Even now, I get jitters when someone is following me who doesn't look completely trustworthy.

I can only imagine what this poor fellow is going through, and how few fucks LDS, Inc. gives for his physical health, let alone his mental state in a strange country where such crimes are more normal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2015 09:14PM by axeldc.

Posted by: Anon4This ( )
Date: July 24, 2015 09:55PM

A mission in Arizona: The MP's wife acts as the "nurse" for the mission and has no training as a nurse IRL. It's scary to think that missionaries are in the hands of such an incompetent person.

Posted by: Happy Hare Krishna ( )
Date: July 24, 2015 10:14PM

Awful. How is he doing now?

Anything being / going to be done about how his case was handled?

Posted by: oneflewwest ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 01:59PM

From what I have heard he is doing well and recovering nicely. The parents were going to fly down to make sure everything was ok. But MP discouraged this and said he has everything under control.

Posted by: Happy Hare Krishna ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 05:19PM

Thanks for the update.

Posted by: raiku ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 02:13PM

This is why it's dangerous to disallow family contact through telephones for missionaries on missions. Email is too slow.

Only cults tell members you can't talk to your family.

Emergencies are a great time for families to step in and make sure that their own are taken care of, even if it's from a long distance with a few well placed phone calls.

Date: July 25, 2015 03:06PM

raiku Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Only cults tell members you can't talk to your
> family.
>

Surely it's in scripture somewhere! Well, sure! Paul never called or texted anyone, he only used the postal service!

I bet if they thought they could get away, they'd ban emails, texting and skype.

Given that most, if not all, kids have smart phones by sophomore year (my best guess), that gives them three years to become totally immersed in the experience. I freak out if I go to the store and realize I've left my phone in the charger. It must be a horrendous experience to leave your phone at home when you head for your MTC. But the fact that everyone there is in the same boat probably cushions the blow. But once you're in the field, it all probably comes flooding back, especially when you get your mission phone, but can't use it as you'd like to.

I'm reasonably certain that if I went out now, I'd find a way to get a phone and get back in touch with my friends. Or listen gratefully to instructions on how to hack my iPad...

Posted by: Anon4this ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 07:56PM

My son was serving a mission and at the beginning of it I noticed a remarkable loss of weight, so I wrote the mission press about it and asked him to look better after my son's diet. He then replied saying that there was nothing to worry about and it was because they were walking long hours every day.
I replied then and asked him to have them eat the same kind of food he (the president) was eating. Earlier my son told me they would eat mostly rice, so I told the president, if missionaries were walking every day they should be eating very well. I also told him, it wasn't fair to see my son so skinny while him (the president) was looking so fat in his photos.
Needless to say, my son started to look healthier afterwards.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 08:35PM

That's great that you stood up for your son and got things to change for the better.

Date: July 25, 2015 08:45PM

The 'taunt' to the MP, that he and the mishies should be eating the same food, was pure genius!! I commend you. I'm also stealing it, but that was always a given...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.