Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 12:09PM

So I am thinking of the Savior and his chosen apostles and prophets in these Latter-Days and thinking how similar they are to each other (not at all alike) and wondering truthfully...

If Jesus came back today without coming back in a 'shock and awe' way as a regular member and joined the Church and then acted as Jesus would act...how long it would take him to be called in on the carpet and excommunicated?

I don't think he'd last a month.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 12:15PM

A few months after I stopped attending, I had a talk with the bish to see if I was "worthy" to perform an ordinance.

We discussed my inactive status and I asked him how many times in the NT was it claimed that during his three year ministry did Jesus actually attend synagogue, rather than be out and about healing, teaching and working with folks?

He didn't know. I said there are no more than three or four times mentioned.

I asked him why church attendance was so important to worthiness, if it is just an aid to help us get closer to god--can't we do that without attending?

He said that policy was policy. If I didn't attend, he couldn't pass me as worthy.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 04:43PM

Primus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t

LOL. I doubt he would consider it his church or even think about joining it, but if he did, he'd probably last a few days at best.Showing up in SM in a long robe, sandals and [gasp] long hair and beard would not get him off to a good start, Neither would his comments on Pharisee like behavior and hypocrisy.He seemed to have a gift for pissing off authority figures.

Posted by: 2lilmonkeys ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 05:07PM

bona dea Wrote:
>
> LOL. I doubt he would consider it his church or
> even think about joining it, but if he did, he'd
> probably last a few days at best.Showing up in SM
> in a long robe, sandals and long hair and beard
> would not get him off to a good start, Neither
> would his comments on Pharisee like behavior and
> hypocrisy.He seemed to have a gift for pissing off
> authority figures.

LOVE IT!!!!

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 04:43PM

Hmmm no white shirt, (face hair is OK locally ) and he might have an issue with asking for moeny in the actual chapel.

Since he loves children, he'd get a calling of greeter for meetings.

Posted by: student ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 04:46PM

he'd probably head straight for the building where the mormon pharisees hang out (COB), interrupt their self congratulatory meeting in the temple on Thursday (or is it Tuesday?), and call them to repentence for building malls with widow's mites.

I'd give him a two weeks with the beurocratic process being sped along for his special case.

Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 04:50PM

I would imagine JC would not be able to walk the campus at BYU. He would be banned from the testing center for not having a beard card.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 04:58PM

Would he wreck the place like he did to the temple in Jerusalem? I'd like to think so.

Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 05:03PM

Posted by: used to be homeless ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 05:04PM

He would spend too much time at Pioneer Park or wherever the homeless location is nowdays. Character assasination would begin immediately. He would be seen to frequently with prostitutes and the Bishop would disfellowship him for presenting an appearance of evil. (Never mind that he was helping underage girls escape the streets.)

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 09:01PM

Not to mention that I rather doubt he'd avoid hanging out with gay people.

Posted by: yours_truly ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 05:13PM

He would have made a new religion through covert murders and political plotting and con man tactics, gotten himself a dozen or two wives and moved to a country giving him the most respect and admiration and fame.

Posted by: Ten Bear ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 06:09PM

Maybe he showed up in the sixties (looking a lot like other folks), tried to gain access to his own church, denied, tried to gain an audience with the Q12, denied, tried to get himself on TV to make his announcement to return, denied, and then said, screw it, I"m out of here, and we've been on our own ever since and just didn't know it.

Posted by: Rebecca ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 07:34PM

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 07:48PM

Rebecca Wrote:
> n/t
LOL, that might explain the mess the world is in.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 07:50PM

I don't think he had a church. I think that was his message, if there was one, if he had one, if he even existed.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 08:31PM

The times that he did go to church (the temple), he cleaned out the money changers, he sat with his disciples and pointed out how the widow believed she had to give everything to the temple, and he went there to proclaim himsalf as the Messiah.

The rest of the time he spent making the Priests Pharisees and Sadducees angry because he railed against their devotion to rules, and the hypocrisy that such adamant adherence created. His message to the Priests was that they had abandoned the Spirit in favor of the Law.

The Mormon church is exactly that. I saw it ibn myself, I learned it in leadership training, Packer strengthened the Pharisical model with his "unwritten Order of Things" speech.

I'm pretty sure that if Jesus was anywhere near the church He'd condemn them for even pretending that a Deacon isn't worthy to pass the Sacrament because his shirt is red or blue.

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 08:36PM

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 08:47PM

remember, "Whatsoever you do unto the least of these, my brethren, ye do it unto me?"

I used to like to think about what would happen if Christ came incognito to wards to be able to judge them on how he was treated by the bishopric, the members etc. Then I realized that happens most weeks in most wards. The disguise he wears is that of an ordinary person and when you think about how the ordinary rank and file of the church is treated - how they treat each other - the question is pretty much settled.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 09:09PM

As soon as Jesus stepped into a Mormon temple, He would see the cash registers. Then the bullwhip would snap!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.