Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 04:39PM

I'd like to issue a warning. Don't waste your money on "Budweiser Select 55 Premium Light Beer." It's like beer-flavored water, or dilute carbonated urine. They should be ashamed for selling this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 04:44PM

can confirm

(srs)

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 04:53PM

That name has two red flags in it which would prevent any man who takes his beer seriously from buying it: "Budweiser" and "light". But thanks for the warning anyway ;-)

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 04:54PM

Not big on Bud in general, but I can handle their blue bottle Platinum ok. It's a little sweet, but the 6% ABV is what I'm after anyhow.

Thanks for the heads up!

Beer snobs, GO!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2015 05:26PM by iflewover.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 05:17PM

The worst beer ever is a kind I had 15 years ago that was brewed with pine needles. Terrible hangover and drank it unfortunately around Xmas time, so I was nauseated for a few weeks.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: July 26, 2015 08:40AM

two words....

Steel Reserve...

Truly the worst tasting (but high alcohol content) beer out there..

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 05:19PM

I tried Michelob Ultra. Tasted like carbonated water with a trace of beer flavoring...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2015 05:19PM by csuprovograd.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 26, 2015 02:38AM

good description.

Posted by: brothernotofjared ( )
Date: July 26, 2015 03:46AM

I like Ultra. I can drink it like water and I don't get drunk or hungover on it.

OK - by those standards I guess it's not really beer, huh?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2015 03:54AM by brothernotofjared.

Posted by: MP-40/II ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 05:21PM

I couldn't be paid to drink anything produced by Budweiser.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 05:26PM

MP-40/II Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I couldn't be paid to drink anything produced by
> Budweiser.

I almost feel the same way, but I recognize that I have a price. They could have me for something over $75/bottle. At $!,000 a bottle I'd become an addict.

Posted by: MP-40/II ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 05:38PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> MP-40/II Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I couldn't be paid to drink anything produced
> by
> > Budweiser.
>
>
> I almost feel the same way, but I recognize that I
> have a price. They could have me for something
> over $75/bottle. At $!,000 a bottle I'd become an
> addict.

LOL! Well, true, everyone has a price. I don't see it happening though. ;)

Date: July 25, 2015 05:25PM

Beer and bread originated out of pure, rich ingredients meant to put a little happiness in both your tummy and your head.

We screwed that all up starting right after WWII.

We do a lot of good things too, don't get me wrong, but our critical thinking skills are seriously lacking.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: July 26, 2015 01:34AM

The more scientized the process, the more myopically lacking in the critical thinking aspect of "Should we be doing this in the first place?"

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 05:34PM

I imagine the worst beer ever was a batch someone tried brewing up at home.

Posted by: othersteve ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 07:16PM

Maybe. But the best beer I've ever had, I brewed myself.

Posted by: NeverBeenaMormon ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 05:38PM

Bud Light Lime. I'll let John Oliver explain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXyWCQeLxrc

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr6ar3xJL_Q for the set-up)

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 09:06PM

I loved when he had to drink it and say that it tasted good for losing a bet.

Date: July 25, 2015 06:42PM

As for mass-produced beers, I guess I'll stick with Shock-Top and Blue Moon, both admittedly bargain macro-brews. But at least there's a body to them. (And yes, I'm a Witbieir guy. So sue me.)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 06:55PM

My two favorites! But the rent is cheaper on the Shock Top, so...

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 09:53PM

Negra Modelo
Fat Tire

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 06:55PM

When a young man, I was in a bar with my uncle and ordered a "scotch and water". My uncle yelled at me saying "Jesus Christ, kid, don't you know anything? Why the hell are you paying the bartender to WATER DOWN YOUR DRINK"!

After that 'loving' dress-down, I have always ordered "Scotch Rocks".

When you buy a "light" beer you are "paying the bartender to water down your drink".

Yep!

Posted by: S2 in Chandler ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 07:03PM

Wish I could remember the attribution, but some wag once said:

Light beer isn't for people who like beer. It's for people who like to pee a lot.

Sterling

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 26, 2015 12:58AM

S2 in Chandler Wrote:

> Light beer isn't for people who like beer. It's for people who like to pee a lot.
>
> Sterling

That's great - I'll hope to remember that. Makes sense.

Templar - that's a great story! Nothing could be truer.

I was on Orcas Island (Washington) one weekend evening with a buddy camping at a state park, and, for some reason, purchased a large bottle (22 oz.) of a peach beer.

Opened it and took one sip and ended up not drinking that night it was so horrible. Set it down and forgot about it. It was awful!

I'd rather drink a good beer, or few, than a bunch of cheap liquid piss. I've either grown up or gotten older.

It's been said, "life is too short to drink cheap beer". I did a study where the participants were paid about $80 (for a couple hours) - and samples - to give feedback on Henry Wineharts' image.

The group was divided into three schools: micro brews, H.W. & PBR (I had a few recently - makes me sick almost). I was/ am in the HIGH octane/ micro brew camp.

It's wabi sabi: having few, but nice, 'things'. I'm not a snob but would rather plateau early, ride the wave, and enjoy the experience, rather than "drinking 'all day'".

I grew up in a "dry" area - and Mormon [HA] - and prefer 30 ounces over 144+ any day.

Cheers

M@t

Posted by: odin ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 07:16PM

Worse beer was in Taiwan.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 07:24PM

I've drank a lot of beer over the years. All of it I've managed to drink except for one. Amstel Light. It was undrinkable. I couldn't even finish one bottle and had to pour it out.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 07:38PM

In Maryland my local liquor store (private store, not state owned) has a wide variety of beer. After trying many varieties I have settled on Budweiser (regular) 5% Alcohol by Volume. I buy it in a 30-pack of cans for $24.00, which includes a 9% state tax. I have not found a "lite/light" beer that tastes okay.

My favorite imported beer is Stella Artois from Belgium. I occasionally buy some as a treat, but generally speaking the extra cost is not worth it for everyday drinking.

Date: July 25, 2015 07:56PM

I like Stella! But as you said, the cost is an issue. Believe it or not, it was a Peruvian who introduced me to Stella. Belgians are very good at beer. So are Czechs. Any Pilsner is very acceptable. The fact of the matter is that American beers are variable because every European country had an input. In my opinion, one needs to go back to he European tradition to sort out what is good and what is shit. Germans, Belgians and Czechs

Posted by: brothernotofjared ( )
Date: July 26, 2015 03:51AM

Pilsner Urquell

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 08:15PM

Yeah. Bud Light is gross. We had a ton of it after my daughter in law had a birthday party at our place. I drank one or two almost every day for a month. Yuck. I called the Shasta of Beers.

I like Grolsch Beer. The Dutch are pretty good with beer making. There are some good local brews. I really like Unita's Cutthroat Pale Ale. Many good local beers.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 08:18PM

I've had some really horrible micro brews.

I usually buy cheap wife beater beer (PBR).

Date: July 26, 2015 09:45AM

Just because you can drink it, eat it, or watch it doesn't make you a brew master, chef or race care driver.

Pine needles, coffee, licorice, dandelions, raspberries, etc all strained thru a gym sock in an attempt to be original or unique. No thanks.

On the other hand, micro brewers who can produce beer that tastes like beer have my full support!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2015 09:46AM by iflewover.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 09:03PM

When I used to drink I favored the high-test craft beers that you can only find in the liquor stores here in Texas. They could have up to 12% alcohol and they would be much tastier than the mass produced varieties. There is a local microbrewery in Ft. Worth, Rahr and Sons Brewing, that makes some very good seasonal brews. Their everyday stuff is not too bad either.

Posted by: greenAngel ( )
Date: July 25, 2015 09:35PM

Shiner Bock & Fireman's 4 all the way baby

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 26, 2015 01:02AM

Not a Bud fan...unless it's draft, ice cold and free....and I'm a beer snob. Love craft beer. Life it too short to only drink Coors Light and Bud.

RB

Posted by: lush ( )
Date: July 26, 2015 03:06AM

What does carbonated urine taste like? Or urine for that matter?
My worst Kiran Ichiban with Corona a close second.

Be a beer geek not a beer snob

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: July 26, 2015 08:44AM

Just so everyone knows..."Bud" was my go to anytime beer years ago. The accurate descriptions of the beer -flavored water for the various types of Bud beers can now be attributed to InBev buying Bud, changing the recipes to make the beer more palatable to younger, newer beer drinkers and women,,

Currently for summer, I like The Lost Coast's tangerine wheat beer.

There's a whole lot of IPA's and Pale Ale's out here also.
The Wasatch brewery and Epic brewery makes some good beers..

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: July 26, 2015 10:10AM

Although a real ale/craft beer nut, every once in a while I will get a can of Bud lager.

Posted by: newnameabigail not logged in ( )
Date: July 26, 2015 10:41AM

Wheat-Beer adulterated with Bananajuice. Or Grapefruitjuice. Who the f@ck has the idea of that anyway? Somehow it become pretty popular here.
Koelsch-Bier is worse too.
Or Alt. I love a good classical Wheat or Pils Beer

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.