Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 01:47AM

Polygamy defined original Mormonism. Joseph Smith created the polygamy doctrine for his own sexual gratification. Brigham Young continued it as an instrument of power and control. It was abandoned in exchange for economic and political power. The Brethren are now selling a different product -- an ersatz 1950s style prosperous postwar patriarchal society -- and polygamy just doesn't fit into that picture. Like Jesus in the Brothers Karamazov they don't need it anymore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2015 10:54PM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 01:57AM

I don't care either way, but it's an amusing exercise to discuss it. It, and same sex marriage sexual relationships being okay are the two best opportunities for an actual revelation from on high.

But thanks to the internet, we can expect to have some forewarning, when we hear word about new surveys being conducted.

TSCC being a bottom line oriented business, whichever way it is perceived will boost that bottom line, that's the way they'll go.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 02:22AM

I was in an Irish themed tourist store today. I was looking at jewelry for my daughter.

I realized that the show with Cody and his entourage has ruined the claddagh designed jewelry for me. All of his extra wives wear that ring. UGH.

I stuck with the Celtic knot designs. I wouldn't want anyone to think that I or my daughter were polygamist wives because we were wearing a claddagh ring.

It feels like the polygamists are stealing little bit of my heritage. I hate that. Not to mention that Scotland the Brave was stolen by the mormons in order to praise JS. Disgusting.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 02:24PM

Ya ~ but like the BoM. LD$, Inc. can’t distance themselves to far from polygamy without admitting JS, Jr. wasn’t the Greatest Profit/Man who ever lived

And ~ everybody KNOWS that this “new and everlasting” principle of the ONE TRUE God-spell WILL BE re-re-restored again one day

And ~ in certain boys-only Mormon priesthood circles, it is still whispered about with giddy anticipation as a reason to stay faithful to JS, Jr. in this life and the next

Thanks to Mormon fundi-mentalists and weak/corrupt law enforcement, JS Jr.’s unholy gift to America of spiritual-wifery will continue to fester

(H8 2 say)

Polygamy may not be coming back, but its not going away either.

It is right there in their Mormon Holy Scriptures and it is a still core doctrine – part of what makes Mormonism Mormon-y

Without that, Mormonism would be just a rilly rilly rilly boring spiritually dead version of the Methodists

ziller

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 02:43PM

Anybody has a point about the Mormon church being stuck in the 1950's post war, baby-booming, all white, no mexicans/blacks, lots of middle class jobs, everybody gets married at 22 culture, no gays, no feminists, no intellectuals. It's the corporate Darrin Stevens/Perry Mason wear a suit and white shirt everyday of the year, (never wear Levis). Polygamy just doesn't fit into the corporate board room.

But I wonder if another reason is that JS was a young man with hormones. Most men over 80 begin to have prostate problems and just aren't interested in getting it on with hotties. Could it be that the leaders have low "T" syndrome? So they just aren't interested?

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 10:33PM

LD$, Inc. is like any other organisation. You can tell what image they wish to project by just taking a look at the pictures in the official magazines. LD$, Inc. is selling the vision of happy (white and delightsome patriarchal forever) families. They might have a few people of colour featured every now and then but that's just for show. Women are meant to manage the home and support their husbands.

People often ask "do the Brethren actually believe." In the historical claims of the "Book of Mormon?" The answer is no. Do they believe The Church™ means something? Yes -- as a means to maintain a society with the social mores of the 1950s when everything was "right."

2011 Marriage Rate By State / Search for "Rolls Recipe"
https://familyinequality.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/k3.jpg

2011 Inverse Marriage Rate By State / Search for "Kanye West my beautiful dark twisted fantasy"
https://familyinequality.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/k4b.jpg

https://familyinequality.wordpress.com/2013/05/21/marriage-is-going-down-so-what-does-kanye-west-have-to-do-with-it/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2015 07:42AM by anybody.

Posted by: androidandy ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 03:26PM

JS's era was about vaginas and money for him and white males loyal to the prophet.

2015 era is about control and money. Members tithing keep the Mormon scam going.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 07:19PM

The Church was started by wild-eyed young religious radicals
who wanted to escape from the "normalcy" of their day. They
broke with the society they were raised in and went off in
search of something new and different.

Todays Church leaders were raised in "normalcy" and any
religious radicals are excommunicated long before they are old
enouth to be called as GAs. So the leadership is filled ONLY
with those who have embraced the "normalcy" of their day.
Furthermore, any new GA enters a quorum with people who have
been there a long time before him. The way things have been
done is already established and his seniors aren't about to
listen to anything radical from a new inductee--his job is to
shut up and learn the already-established ropes (these are a
lot of BKP's "unwritten rules").

Conservative America is not ready to embrace polygamy.
Therefore no matter what BY, or HCK, or JT, or WW, or D&C 132
said or says, polygamy in this life is dead. The big 15 won't
bring it back until it is passionately embraced by
conservative America--until it is accepted by the Readers-
Digest crowd and part of the Republican platform.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2015 07:21PM by baura.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 07:43PM

Polygamy is one of the greatest evils perpetrated by the Mormon church. Church authorities can not even distance themselves from this evil because it is perpetrated to this day in Mormon temples and among Mormon "apostles" through multiple eternal marriages for men only.

The next in line to be prophet, Russell Nelson, has been married in the temple for eternity to two women. In Mormon eyes, he is married for eternity to his first spouse, Dantzel White, and also to his second spouse, Wendy Watson. He may not be a polygamist in the eyes of unwitting American officials, but he is very much a polygamist in the eyes of the Mormon church.

Polygamy is tolerated by law enforcement in certain Utah communities. It is tolerated despite abuses that include marriages of underage girls, and despite denying homes to certain young teenage boys who pose a "threat" to older men in the community.

Polygamy has a wretched history within the church. Women were denied the companionship and solace of their lawful husbands when those very same husbands were sent on church missions. The wives were picked off by Smith and his cohorts in their absence. The plural wives were often denied adequate financial support. Young teenage girls were denied the opportunity to grow up unmolested, and to marry a peer *in public* at an appropriate and socially acceptable age. Young women in Joseph Smith's household were denied the opportunity to work and feel safe without being molested by their supposed protector.

And throughout the history of the church, women were denied *the truth.* The truth was never about that oft repeated fallacy, that widows were being provided support. The truth was that polygamy was intended to satiate the appetites of wholely inferior men.

Church women were also denied common decency and dignity. Look no further than Heber Kimball's awful statement, "I think no more of taking [another] wife than I do of buying a cow."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2015 07:45PM by summer.

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 10:11PM

I had not heard that quote from Heber Kimball. That says it all..those women were property stats to the elite males. This subject is not discussed enough within Mormon culture. The topic of polygamy is usually brushed by as "the past is the past". These women and families suffered more than any of us can understand. It is important to really bring up the dirt with an LDS member because most don't get it at all..

Posted by: evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 10:38PM

Great post and observations about why polyg no longer fits into the current regime

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 11:02PM

Even demographically, polygamy is a sucker's bet. Yes, if a man has 7 wives, he will have a lot of children.

But it is almost certain that the 7 women will have fewer children than they would have had if there had been 6 additional husbands, nor will they raise their children in the same standard of living, plus they will have to drive a fair number of the male children out of the cult. And those 6 fewer husbands were the boys of the previous generation that were already discarded.

I think the Internet will eventually do even more harm to the FLDS than it is doing to the LDS now. That kind of fanaticism can only survive in an information vacuum. North Korea being a good example.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.