Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 07:04PM

don't go on a mission. He gets endowed tomorrow. He's the least indoctrinated of my family right now. He's already made comments about what it was like ordering his temple clothes with our parents. He said he didn't understand any of what was going on and he half-chuckled to me that it was like he was about to join a cult... I didn't laugh.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 07:06PM

I'm sorry, Cold-Dodger. I know that you'll tell him that no matter what may come, you will always be there for him.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 07:11PM

Just tell him "you're not going to like what you are about to learn and you are not going to like what you'll learn on this mission"

And leave it at that.

Say nothing more even if asked. The coming experience will speak for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2015 07:12PM by AmIDarkNow?.

Posted by: molly_phobic ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 07:14PM

Ask him, "Would you want to know?"

When he says, know what, give him the option: "If you *were* about to join a cult, would you want to know?"

Red pill/blue pill, his choice, but at least he gets a choice. How many of us never had an exmo standing by to help us see TSCC in a new light? Even if he says he doesn't want to know, you showed you have his back. Then do what summer says--and support his choices the best you can.

All the best to you both.

Posted by: Hmmm... ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 07:14PM

I'm feeling your frustration, Cold-Dodger. *LIKE* a cult? But he IS thinking. And where two brain cells can be found firing in unision there's hope. Wishing him health and safety during this new adventure brought to you from the minds of his new LD$ Inc predatory masters, but paid for by their victims.

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 09:13PM

He will feel like there is no way out. Tell him you will discuss anything he wants to, that they will threaten him but you are brothers and can talk about anything.

Make sure he knows he can leave his mission any time. His life and passport belong to him, not a for profit corporation. You will help him if he needs help. People here at RfM will help if he needs help.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 09:22PM

Ex-Sis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Make sure he knows he can leave his mission any
> time. His life and passport belong to him, not a
> for profit corporation. You will help him if he
> needs help. People here at RfM will help if he
> needs help.

^Yes! I would also ask him to look at the essays if you think he would.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 09:24PM

I told my sister not to go, but she didn't listen. She hated the MTC and went home before finishing.

Just be open to him and tell let him make his own choices. Be there for him if he changes his mind.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 09:25PM

A mission did more to push me out of the MORmON cult than any other single thing ...... on the other side of Gordon Hinckley's reign of BS.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 10:47PM

SCREAM IT Cold-Dodger!

Seriously. Tell him.

;o)

Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 10:55PM

Wow this is very close to home to me. My daughter is expressing an intention to go on a mission in six months. I can't stand the idea. She sees all the rich Pinterest Mormon girls going on missions and talking them up and is adamant that she wants to go so badly. It makes my flesh crawl. My wife loves the idea of her going. I told my daughter I need to have a difficult talk with her before she goes any further and she looked at me like I was Stan...

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 04:05AM

Look up some YouTube videos to share (former sister missionaries). One was telling newbies what to pack for Chili (only one nice skirt since everything else gets wrecked from walking in mud, feces, constant filth, chased by dogs, wrecked in bike chains...) Sturdy shoes, walking five miles a day nearly every day. So glamorous!

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 10:19AM

This is genius!^

Posted by: exldsdudeinslc ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 10:38AM

Sounds like his brain hasn't "clicked" - you know, where you start using critical thinking skills. His inner being knows exactly what he's doing but his mind is on auto-pilot. I've been there. That's really sad. I wish I knew what advice to give to "wake up" this guy...hopefully you can find the tonic to help his mind open up and see it for what it is and realize he has an actual choice to make.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.