Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 11:38AM

I met a super nice liberal Mormon (she love coffee as much as me). The only thing that was awkward was before this girl knew me she talked Mormon speak to me. A good friend also teased me that I looked like the perfect Mormon mom except for my nose ring. Well, I took out the nose ring because it kept getting infected and now I am back to people thinking I'm Mormon and it really bothers me. I know I shouldn't care what people think but, I don't want any association with TSCC. Thoughts or advice would be great.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 11:42AM

A skimpy tank top ought to do the trick.

But then if you have cold, cold winters, the problem will crop up again in a few months.

Date: July 28, 2015 11:46AM

Thanks :) now to figure out how to look less Mormony in the winter!

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 11:52AM

Just in general...ditch the low-maintenance look (minimal make-up, no-iron clothes, sensible shoes, simple hair styles, etc.)
Seek out trendy styles, y'know - spend a bit more on the edgy side of fashion...YMMV. (No idea what you look like or how you present yourself)

Date: July 28, 2015 11:58AM

I'm very low maintenance because I have five kids. I do think you are right though if I wear makeup and look more modern I'm less likely to be thought of as Mormon and will feel better about myself too.

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 11:59AM

What I was gonna say. Mormon women have a common "outfit", Capri style pants, pull over top, garmies hanging out. Some dress much more risque, and I am appreciative. High fashion is rare.

At the water park, the Relief Society President is there with her boobs hanging out and half her butt cheeks hanging out. Utah, Life Elevated :)

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 11:59AM

Shoulders. Show your shoulders.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 12:13PM

Dress for yourself. Be comfortable in your own skin.

I don't worry about making fashion statements. What matters is does it fit? Is it comfortable? Stylish is important to a degree.

As for sensible shoes, I ditched high heels for those several years ago due to knee problems.

Sensible shoes are in fashion. Modesty never went out of fashion. You can dress anyway you like without making a Mormon statement.

Style for me must be feminine, flattering, fit, and material that breathes. I don't get accused of dressing like a Mormon. What I've been accused of if anything is dressing like an Easterner when I was back west going to college. I just like good clothing that's sensible and refined.

Having good taste is what people notice about our dress. Some people have it. And then there are those women who just have flair and chic. If you've got it, by all means flaunt it.

:)

Date: July 28, 2015 12:34PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2015 12:35PM by amyjo.

Posted by: greenAngel ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 12:18PM

dress however YOU want to dress and who gives a damn about whatever anyone else thinks??

the beauty of finding our way out of Mormonism and into the light is choosing for ourselves and NO JUDGEMENT

:)

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 12:56PM

Why change how you look just so people won't think you are a mormon? Why do you care what other people think? Just be you and
do you. Life is too short to try to please other people.
If someone askes if you're a mormon just say "fuck no".

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 12:20PM

I wore sleeveless tops all weekend in the company of my son's extreeeeeme TBM, former-bishop, yadda, yadda, in-laws.

Anyway, time to leave, he and she had to give me a hug and manipulated their hands to feel my shoulders. It was the strangest thing! It's like they had never seen shoulders on a woman before and had to make sure they were real!!!

But, it will show that you ain't no Mo.

Date: July 28, 2015 12:26PM

GodLedMeOut Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyway, time to leave, he and she had to give me a
> hug and manipulated their hands to feel my
> shoulders. It was the strangest thing! It's like
> they had never seen shoulders on a woman before
> and had to make sure they were real!!!
>
^I am laughing at this! You and those sensual shoulders!
Isn't it crazy how unnatural and abnormal Mormon thinking is?

Date: July 28, 2015 12:35PM

Why can't they just respect a woman's right to wear a sleeveless top without having to feel your shoulders at all? That seems degrading and disrespectful to the woman for someone to do that. It's like the former bishop has no class or manners. I've known bishops with more class than that, sheesh.

I'd like want to slug em for feeling my shoulders. What the bleep gives them the right to do that anyway? That's an unwanted touching in the law, and could be construed as an assault.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 12:47PM

Maybe they were trying to show acceptance of you by not recoiling from the sight of your shoulders. And that was just their awkward way of doing it.

Date: July 28, 2015 12:53PM

Showing acceptance means showing the same respect and deference to someone in a sleeveless top as someone wearing sleeves.

Touching skin is a violation of the other's personal space *unless* the touching was welcome and wanted.

Making a point of touching it just because it was exposed? Tacky.

Now if it was a goodbye hug, and would've made the same contact either way, something else. But that isn't what was described. What was described was she was being ogled by touching.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2015 01:02PM by amyjo.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 01:17PM

The return of capri pants must have been a godsend to Mormon women. I don't happen to have any, but I think they are still in style most places whether Mormon or not.

Try on some clothing styles you wouldn't normally try, and from the NEW RACKS if you can, and see how you feel in them.

Instead of just COVERING UP your body though, NOW the idea is to COMPLIMENT your body by finding colors and styles that fit you well, accent your best parts, and that give you a really confident feeling when you put them on.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 12:25PM

In Utah, sometimes it is really hard to tell just by sight. I've seen people who were serious middle aged bike racers, who were active LDS. I never would have guessed. Beyond age 30, just looking athletic makes you look non-LDS. Not a perfect cue, but not bad.

When I moved here, I got a real estate agent. We had both graduated from BYU. It was a couple of hours before we both figured out we were exMo. Neither of us wanted to say anything to strain a business relationship. We had a good laugh later.

A couple weeks ago I was at the Broadway Theater, and they ran an ad encouraging people to join the SL Film Society. My agent was the first person in the ad extolling the virtues of indie movies and the SLFS. That would have been a tip off of a Mormon gone bad!

Be well read, athletic, and drink coffee.

Date: July 28, 2015 12:29PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Be well read, athletic, and drink coffee.

^Time to lose my mommy figure the others are much easier!

Date: July 28, 2015 12:29PM

Great advice! Thanks everyone:)

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 12:30PM

"Neither of us wanted to say anything to strain a business relationship."

This comment deserves serious reflection.
Exmos have many more allies than is at first apparent.

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 12:39PM

Get a great, modern hair cut. If you have shorter hair, there are super cute layered Bobs, or slightly angled cuts. Keep it trimmed regularly. If your hair is longer, put in a sleek pony. Wrap a thin fake braid around the base, or Hermes type silk scarf (ask your salon). You can look fashionable/modern without spending lots of time or money.

If you don't have a baby grabbing at your earrings, get some fashionable earrings, especially for dressing up.

Sometimes Mormons wear blander, solid colors. Get some bright, interchangeable prints. Instead of all that weird layering, get tops long enough, or short enough. Go to Ross and ask for Ellen Tracy, Jones NY, Michael Kors, Ann Taylor tops. You can wear them several years, in style, good quality. =)

Sun dresses in the summer without a T-shirt under them. You can get super cute summer tops with support (built in bra) so you don't have straps hanging out everywhere. Shorts or skirts shorter than garment length will indicate you don't have that card in your purse. Rethink your purse selection also.

Have fun! =)

Posted by: emmahailyes ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 12:46PM

When I was TBM I wore very clean outfits that were up-to-date in style and very colorful. I tried not to repeat outfits very often.

I was considered very frivolous and not very mormon. I am an avid resale shopper so I had lots of high-end stuff that cost very little.

A sidenote:We had a huge Latino membership and I would always run into them in my resale haunts. On Sunday my little Latino primary kids would look like a million bucks; the white ones looked like their Sunday clothes lived under the bed.

This was the midwest, but when I lived in SLC,it was the deadly elastic waisted pants and long baggy dresses.

Just don't wear really out-dated clothes that fit like they are from your post diet days. Add color, modern color.

Date: July 28, 2015 01:08PM

Where is a good place to shop? I want my kids and I to look nice and not sloppy.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 12:50PM

Get a pretty tattoo on your arm

Date: July 28, 2015 01:06PM

I have actually thought of that but have no idea what to get.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2015 01:09PM by brandywine.

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 01:46PM

Use water tattoos. You can change them, depending on your mood...

Date: July 28, 2015 01:55PM

Have you watched The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt on Netflix? It's worth a watch if you haven't. In one episode Kimmy had a temporary tattoo that said you're grape! Your post made me think of it :)

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 01:10PM

For what it's worth, I think you should look like what you want to look like and not worry about what others think.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 01:16PM

I try to send a message to all who see me, so I'm naked a lot...

Date: July 28, 2015 01:31PM

I had a neighbor on my street who used to walk his dog in his bathrobe. He seemed a bit touched, but didn't mind that people stared longer his way because he was in his robe.

Reminded me of the mobster who declared insanity to get off his murder charges. One of the ways he tried to show he'd lost his marbles was wandering around the streets in his bathrobe, talking to himself.

It didn't fool prosecutors however, and he died in prison in 2005. (Vincent Gigante, boss of Genovese crime family.)

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 01:32PM

Wear a cross necklace.

Date: July 28, 2015 01:34PM

It broke at the zoo! I need to replace it.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 01:41PM

I also recommend a cross necklace, and whenever possible, show off your shoulders. For me, one thing I did as soon as my resignation and divorce were final, was to get a second set of piercings in my ears, and most of the time, I wear 2 pairs of earrings.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 02:57PM

Get a big tattoo across your forehead that says "Fuck the Morg"

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: July 28, 2015 03:04PM

Get a second ear piercing, maybe even one in the upper cartilage. Little things like that are Kryptonite to a Mormon, and a shout-out to fringers and exmos.

(But in the real word, a second piercing is no big deal).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2015 03:05PM by imaworkinonit.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.