Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: July 30, 2015 12:31PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: July 30, 2015 01:37PM

Good god, they're going to drown. They need beacons connected to the lifeguard tower.

Posted by: Happy Hare Krishna ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 09:40PM

Nah, they won't drown. Modest swimwear (and even more covering than than these - have you seen the Burqini, the Hijood, the Alsharifa, hijabi Muslim girls' swimwear?) has been worn for quite a while now and people can handle it quite well. It's a blessing for those who want to stay that covered to be able to swim. Not all of us require that level of modesty, but hey if it works, and they WANT to be covered that way, then great for them.

Might I remind you that even professional swimmers wear full body suits? That is for speed, and not modesty, and those are skin-tight of course (often the swimwear material worn underneath these modest swimsuits is skin-tight as well, you just don't see it from the outside). They can swim just fine.

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 12:06AM

If you don't think a skirt will interfere with surfing, you haven't been surfing. (Surfboard photo)

Yes, I needn't be reminded about professional swimmers/speed suits. Cancer is a factor also. Sun screen isn't enough for some people/frequency.

Often, it is the girls who are shamed into ultra conservative clothes and swimwear... who end up acting out and rebelling in damaging ways.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 12:26AM

They might be going in the water, but I doubt that they are doing any actual swimming.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: July 30, 2015 01:53PM

Ahhh! They look like Duggars. Crazy, psycho people. How the heck can they swim? This looks like a death wish.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: July 30, 2015 01:56PM

That's what I thought as well! That the models looked the Duggar's!! It might of been in the 1900's but in the 21st Century!??

Date: July 30, 2015 02:20PM

Great minds think alike ;)

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 30, 2015 02:22PM

There's many good, health reasons to NOT expose all your skin, BUT....

Have any of you had to take swim tests or wear a shirt over your suit during swim practice? Those outfits look like they will not only weigh women down, but create serious drag and that is life threatening in the ocean. The first time I swam in the ocean, i wore one of those cute, flowy tankinis and it was HARD to move through the water with those waves.

There's a reason why competitive and serious swimmers wear such tight suits, caps, and shave their bodies. Hope no one drowns in these ridiculous things.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 30, 2015 02:29PM

Yes, speaking as a former lifeguard/WSI -- as a part of my training, I wore full clothing in in the water. If you expect to be in the water for more than a few minutes, you have to shed the clothing as it weighs you down too much. We were trained to make pants and long sleeved shirts into flotation devices by tying the legs and sleeves off and blowing air into them.

The shirts and leggings of those "modest" swimsuits might work in the water if they are similar to styles that surfers wear. But I don't for the life of me get those long skirts. They look unsafe to me.

What I want to ask the clothing makers is, how many pool laps have you yourselves swum in those things? I suspect they haven't swum any.

Date: July 30, 2015 02:30PM

I can understand covering up from the sun. My grandma got horrible spots and a huge chunk of her nose cut out from skin cancer. If it was cover up and not swimwear it would be totally different. It is a scary thought to think of silly Morgbots wearing stuff like that in the ocean or a lake.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: July 30, 2015 06:06PM

Exactly. Rash guards are a good option as they provide more sun protection, yet allow for freedom of movement which is essential if one is going to be in the water. Sure, it might be skin tight, but at least it's not going to weigh someone down and create drag. Even if competitive swimmers wear longer swimsuits, they're designed to give less drag in the pool, while allowing them to be more protected from the sun when they're out of the pool.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: July 30, 2015 02:29PM

Nothing screams, "I'm Muslim" than an outfit like that. Where's the matching pioneer bonnet?

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 30, 2015 02:34PM

That swimwear must have been patterned after the early 1900's Victorian outfits like those shown here:

http://www.victoriana.com/Fashion/victorian-bathing-suit.html

It's one thing to protect your skin, and quite another to be reasonable and rational about it rather then taking after our Victorian predecessors!

These styles are a little more reasonable:
http://www.limericki.com/
A hat and good sun screen and a cover-up outer garment does the job!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 30, 2015 02:42PM

swimming is 'Of SATAN' anyway! Why bother??

'Take Care, Stay Bare!'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2015 02:48PM by GNPE.

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: July 30, 2015 06:11PM

C'mon morons! Enough with this "modesty" crap.
Seems like mormon cult members are doubling down on the insanity!

Ironically, at one morridor waterpark I visited,
either the TBMs are not attending, or the TBMs are letting it all hang out...boobs and butt cheeks alike.

I suspect the latter is true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2015 06:12PM by wastedtime.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: July 30, 2015 06:27PM

LOL @ surfing amish chicks

brb ~ using imagination

brb ~ dam that's a lot of cloth

brb ~ might need x-ray googles

brb ~ you could outfit a battalion of chicks with bikinis with that much material

OK ~ picturing them naked now

Posted by: thinking ( )
Date: July 30, 2015 06:54PM

And where, exactly, is the modest swimwear for men? If I see a naked male chest or calves, who know what thoughts I might have, so they better cover them up--for modesty's sake.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 02:44AM

Just try getting to your feet on a board in all that fabric. Good luck with that.

Lemme know how it works out for ya, OK?

It's been decades since I braved the waves on a board, but I would NEVER be so insane as to try it in one of those silly suits.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 09:57PM

9 yards of preshrunk wool(makes it tighter and thicker) is what it took to make those victorian sun suits. There's no way anyone could have swam in them!

Imagine 9 yards(27 feet) of water soaked wool blanket wrapped around you while trying to swim. Sounds like a funeral to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2015 09:57PM by madalice.

Date: July 31, 2015 11:00PM

Fashion first safety second. :-/

Date: July 31, 2015 11:00PM

I wonder why people are so afraid of women's bodies. At the time when women were covering everything up boys were swimming naked in the local lakes and ponds. I'm still perplexed as to why the heck people are okay with that it's okay for guy and bad for girls mentality.

Date: July 31, 2015 11:06PM

Yet the film industry has no problem with showing women nude full frontal but not men.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 11:22PM

Actually a lot of male actors have gone full frontal. Patrick Warburton, Peter Sarsgaard, Jason Segal and others have shown everything on screen.

Date: July 31, 2015 11:31PM

Maybe you should take a look at how often female full frontal nudity is shown in films versus male full frontal. A handful of film actors is not really comparable..

Date: July 31, 2015 11:22PM

I'm making a guess that people see penises as intimidating. Romans referred to a penis As a Gladius or sword. Maybe subconsciously men and women are afraid of penises because they can be used as a weapon to harm. I would also guess as to why it's more acceptable to see female nudity. I think it is because the female body represents life and nurturing. I could be way off but those are my thoughts.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 11:09PM

That's how men went swimming in the movies "A Room With A View", "Yentl", "The Tracker",and "Dances with Wolves". In the first two movies, the ladies are quite surprised and nervous.

Posted by: Agamemnon ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 11:25PM

(Looks at calendar ... yep, still 2015. For a second there I thought it was 1915.)

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 11:54PM

Ever tried to swim in any kind of skirt? The fabric, no matter what kind, is going to float up, swirl around their hips, etc. Once they're in the water, they can't control where the fabric goes. There's no way they could dive in those things, either.

The article itself is mildly insulting -- it assumes women who have given birth and women who are "plus-size" want/need to wear extreme layers of fabric to cover up their bodies.

Next thing we know, Mollies will be forcing their daughters to wear this stuff.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 12:45AM

Good point. Why aren't they swathing all of the fat men in yards and yards of fabric?

Take a look:
http://www.diet-blog.com/08/fat_men_in_speedos.php

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2015 12:48AM by madalice.

Posted by: geezerdogmom ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 01:13PM

Why not just pin the ends of the skirts together between the swimmers' legs so that they don't float up - that's what the sisters did to my baptism dress. I don't know why I wasn't given a jumpsuit for my re-baptism.

These new "suits" almost convince me to drive over and take a dip at Daytona Beach!

Posted by: europa ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 04:41AM

They might as well just go swimming in their clothes. It would look the same.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 06:52AM

But they forgot to cover the ankles and the wrists. Obviously immodest.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 09:40AM

Burqinis

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.