Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 12:02AM

Mormons were all outraged at the BSA allowing for gay leaders. They don't want gay leaders being alone with their precious young men.

How come there is no outrage about heterosexual leaders being alone with their precious young women? Alone with them, and questioning them about their sex lives, no less. Where's the outrage?

Read this essay in The Exponent:
http://www.the-exponent.com/where-is-the-outrage/

Concluding paragraphs:
There is a big conversation to be had about keeping our young men safe and I can understand parents are concerned about the perceived threat to their sons. What I can’t understand is the lack of outrage about the threat of abuse right under our noses. As the Newsroom releases statements about our young men with the overtone that it is for their safety, I wonder, “where are the releases about protecting our girls?” “Where is the acknowledgement that this abuse happens every. single. week under the guise of righteousness?” “Why are the same people who are concerned about the possibility of the abuse of their sons so dismissive when I mention the very real abuse of their daughters?” “Why am I told that I should have known better and taken measures to protect my young, innocent self?” “Why does no one seem to notice or even care about our girls?”

I wish my answers didn’t always dead end with the fear that we don’t notice or care about our girls because we don’t actually notice or care about our girls.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dk ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 12:11AM

This --> "we don’t actually notice or care about our girls".

When girls get abused, the church thinks it's their fault, not the penisholder's. Chewed gum, licked cupcake. If young men are abused, the man must be gay and is unacceptable anyways.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 12:15AM

This is why shoulders must ALWAYS be covered!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 12:23AM

Excellent point.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 12:31AM

I would also add, mormon women can't be outraged unless they have permission for the top leadership, which are all men.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 12:39AM

I was a very innocent naive young thing who had a bishop who asked about masturbation starting at age 12. I had no clue what it was. He asked about necking and petting. He knew I didn't even date. I was his daughter's best friend. Not only did I get quizzed yearly, but every 3 months for dance cards.

I didn't know what masturbation was until I was in my 20s when another bishop told me to check on my gay boyfriend's masturbation habits and I asked my boyfriend what that was. Yes, I was that naive.

Even before I left the LDS church and my ex was ex. sec. who set up those damn appts, I told him my children would never have interviews with the bishop.

It is abuse. And, yes, the women are in charge of the men staying clean as I was so well taught. Boys will be boys after all. It was also worth sacrificing my chastity and my life and my kids' lives to save a male. I did take note of that. That was really mind blowing. And that is why I am here.

Great article.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 12:40AM

Girls and women aren't real people in mormonism. What's to be outraged about?

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 01:05AM

This was really difficult for me to read. I had two different bishops be very inappropriate in our interviews. One went off on men having several wives in heaven and the other insisted, like the girl in the article, on hearing every single sexual experience down to the nitty gritty details. The experience left me shaken. This kind of sexual abuse isn't taken seriously. I don't know if I ever said anything about it to anyone until I got older. I can tell you this behavior needs to stop. I'm just glad to be out with my girls and hope someday my sister and niece will get out too. It's time the Morg started caring about the girls.

Posted by: brothernotofjared ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 05:01AM

The MORG will only start caring about girls when they stop being baby factories and become full and equal tithe payers.
Which in the Mormon way of doing things will happen in about a bajillion years.

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 10:08AM

Why should there be outrage?

Women are for making babies and looking at. Why in the world would it matter what is done to them by men? Especially men in authority?

All of you other "men" who are empathizing with these women who feel "abused" should accept your role as non-alphas and give your wives to Brigham Young or another alpha while you go on missions and serve.

Jeez, the fact that we keep having to explain this to you silly women is proof that letting you do anything other than make babies and food is a real mistake.

-Boyd Packer from beyond.

Posted by: Marilynlola ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 10:26AM

Yesterday did a modeling gig. The make artist had done fiur models. As we talked about marriage and divorce I shared my experience in my first marriage to a returned missionary who became extremely abusive. She said that two of the four women had the same story of abuse. That's 50%. Abuse is rampant and ignored.
Just read some replies. I could match my story of bishops and stake poresidents who abuse girls and women who must confess sexual activity with other respondents.
LDS women do not matter or have a voice. Wish I could work within the organiuzation to change that but, like kate Kelly, I would be thrown out.
Thanks for writing this.

Posted by: poin0 ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 11:12AM

Most mormons will never be outraged at anything the church or the church leaders do. Their prophet could marry underage girls and they wouldn't care. Their prophet could order people to be murdered and they wouldn't care. Their prophet could go to prison and drink alcohol and they wouldn't care.

There are some TBMs who would be outraged at certain things, but I reckon there's literally nothing church leaders could to upset the most devout TBMs, they just agree with everything the church does, no matter what. They act as if their leaders are infallible, it's very strange.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 12:41PM

poin0

Indeed! You just described the compliant member with the true testimony, probably with generations of membership in the "only true church" which tends to breed an attitude of total acceptance of anything and everything, with absolutely no questioning of even the most egregious behavior. It's all OK in the eyes of their Heavenly Father.
Yes, it is very strange, but I have seen it in other religions also.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 12:48PM

What outrage? Nobody says anything above a whisper, generally, and even then, it's to confirm their own testimony which is repeated ad nauseam.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 03:11PM

This is an excellent point to bring up with any TBM that complains about the BSA changes. Anything that gives them pause or makes them stop their mindless rants about social issues they haven't given a thought to (where they are just parroting the church's position without thinking) is good.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 04:52PM

Great article. The author brings up very valid points.

Unfortunately, I think her terrific arguments might be lost on many Mormons. Mormons trust their priesthood leaders because they're told that God has put them in charge. They see nothing wrong with allowing their teen girls to be questioned by priesthood leaders alone in a room because they completely trust the church. There's no outrage because they're too busy obeying.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2015 06:13PM by want2bx.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 06:06PM

I was discussing this with some people, and they reported a couple interesting developments in California.

In one case, a ward fundraiser for scouting earned more money than they needed. It was suggested by some of the families in the ward that the extra money go toward activities for the girls. The money was donated to other scout troops in the stake that had not done as well in fundraising. Did not go over well.

Another report was that there was grumbling among the rank and file about the poor funding level for activities for their daughters, which are, after all, 50% of the youth of the Church. Some members are refusing to kick in extra money for the BSA troop activities until there is some sort of parity.

The injustice has always been there, and still is, for that matter. But people are now starting to recognize it, and say enough. Interesting.

Posted by: Very Afraid of Cults ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 06:44PM

A friend is visiting SLC, from out-of-state. I drove her into Wasatch State Park, up Millcreek Canyon, for a hike. There is a huge area fenced-off with cyclone fencing, and there were some ugly buildings, trucks, tents, and a pool, in the woods. She asked what it was, and I said, "That's the Cub Scout camp." She said, "So, all that lovely creekside acreage is only for males?"

All those years of driving past that fenced-aff area, and I never even thought about it.

Thanks for this thread. We need a new perspective.

Cl2 is a classic example of how women are thrown under the bus, to save the men.

Many, many times, various TBM fathers and relatives in our ward have tried to fix up my daughter with their wayward, drug-addicted, or alcoholic sons. "You would be the making of him!" "You could turn him around."

Just yesterday, one of those families told me they are moving away, and the father said, "Too bad your daughter never dated my son. I said, "Thank goodness she didn't!" and I laughed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.