Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ElderCarrion ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 01:34AM

I am in serious need of a recommendation from one of you who knows if there is a true Hotel in Las Vegas. I will be there for 3 nights in November. I have tried many hotels in the past years, but learned after a little time about their early history. Things they don't tell you about. Stuff that ex-employees discuss over late drinks...

Help me find a true and living hotel, please.

Money is no object, as I save up for this special time and also reward myself with a true rental car. I know that the RAV4 is true.

Can you please help me to find a true hotel? I guess what I am asking is, of all of the hotels, which one is true?

Thank you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2015 03:27PM by Susan I/S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 01:38AM

None of them are true. You will have to build your own.

Posted by: HopefulHusband(loggedout) ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 05:27AM

The true hotel will require 10% of your gross income, toilet scrubbing, and you will be expected to visit with other visitors and tell them to how wonderful the true hotel is.

Are you sure it's worth finding?

Posted by: Anonagain ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 01:39AM

Is this for real?

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 01:40AM

Which ones are on your false list?

What sort of experience are you praying for?

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 01:43AM

The name says so.

(Actually, it was pretty nice when I was there nine years ago - hope they kept the place up.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2015 01:45AM by Beth.

Date: August 01, 2015 01:52AM

I have earnestly sought for the only true hotel since I turned legal age back in the late 60s. I visited Las Vegas when it was a very fast growing small town. I saw many hotels that looked true. For example, the Landmark touched my heart. I wanted to stay there every time I went to Las Vegas. But like so many other seemingly perfect hotels, it was blasted to the ground and carted away by slow working Union workers.

Another (I believed) true hotel was the Mint. But it was changed into a form that is unlike its original rock-solid smoke-filled gambling hall.

The only hotels I see today that stir me within are the Bellagio, the Venetian and the Wynn.

But I am so tired of searching. I want the only true pool in Las Vegas. I want the most heavenly massage. I want the meal that will cause me to swear off health and be a fat man without shame, for the rest of my life. I want roulette wheels that have no air jets and magnets, and craps tables that are at least 16 feet long.

Help me find this true hotel. I want the best odds. The best views. The finest food. The best smelling shampoo in those awesome free little bottles. I want a huge tub that makes me forget all about the Somali's, the Mexican war lords and every mass shooter of the past decade.

I am seeking the only true hotel. One that I won't mind the slaughter on my bank account when the weekend is finished.

I will give my all to the establishment.

How may I find it?

Date: August 01, 2015 02:19AM

Wynn will have the best food (or make restaurant reservations now, elsewhere in town-the best places are booked in advance). The Bellagio will have the most variety of food/larger servings-if that is what you value.

My concern with Bellagio is the amount of people gawking... although a view of the nightly fountain/light show from your room would be lovely.

The Venetian is a bit kitschy for my taste, although Italy is fantastic in person. The fake gondola was a bit fun.

I think Wynn will provide the most luxury, although I'm not sure if Bellagio has a better pool? You need more opinions from the frequent flyers.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 01:56AM

I go to Vegas 4 times a year, we run poker tournaments at the Venetian and Planet Hollywood.
I don't stay at those places, though. They're not true hotels.

I stay at either The Palms (2nd choice) or South Point (1st choice). They are true hotels. Verily, they cost less, have bigger rooms, have nicer staff, and are more "comfy" than the big places.

I was at South Point last time, and it came to pass that it wasn't very busy, so they upgraded my room for nothing, giving me a very nice suite for a "double" price. Truly goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life because of their kindness.

I testify these things in the name of Texas Hold 'Em, Amen.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 01:59AM

Date: August 01, 2015 02:40AM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I go to Vegas 4 times a year, we run poker
> tournaments at the Venetian and Planet Hollywood.
> I don't stay at those places, though. They're not
> true hotels.
>
> I stay at either The Palms (2nd choice) or South
> Point (1st choice). They are true hotels.
> Verily, they cost less, have bigger rooms, have
> nicer staff, and are more "comfy" than the big
> places.
>
> I was at South Point last time, and it came to
> pass that it wasn't very busy, so they upgraded my
> room for nothing, giving me a very nice suite for
> a "double" price. Truly goodness and mercy will
> follow me all the days of my life because of their
> kindness.
>
> I testify these things in the name of Texas Hold
> 'Em, Amen.

HALLELUJAH!!!

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 02:26AM

Fast and pray.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2015 02:52AM by GodLedMeOut.

Date: August 01, 2015 02:42AM

In Vegas, you actually receive goods and services for your investment.

AND your prayers might come true-praying for that lucky number, winning hand, dice roll...

If you crave Egyptian scribbles, head over to the Luxor and make up your own story! Something for everyone.

Posted by: popeyes ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 07:31AM

It is not Marriott

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 11:09AM

NOT the Luxor. Stayed there once with the family, thinking we were staying somewhere really cool. It was pricey, and I wasn't impressed with the room at all. Shabby furniture in the room. Noisy lobby.

I HATE walking through a large lobby to get to room. I think a hotel should be a retreat.

Posted by: Adfhvthjn ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 11:35AM

The Four Seasons at Mandalay Bay is lovely, and toward the edges of the strip. It's relaxing, and the staff is excellent.

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 12:25PM

I second Four Seasons. You won't be sorry. Also check out Aria at City Center...supposed to be nice, but I've not had the pleasure yet.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 03:01PM

I too have heard the four seasons is very nice.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 12:26PM

Pray and read your scriptures.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 02:48PM

Las Vegas? The world's largest monument to tacky excess. My only visit there was 51 years ago.

The one true hotel.
http://www.grandunionhotel.com/about-hotel-history.htm

Before the railroads, Fort Benton was a major transportation hub for the northern high plains. It was where the Missouri River got too shallow for riverboats, and goods had to transfer to wagons. The Grand Union was a magnificent Victorian hotel, built just before the railroads bypassed Fort Benton. Oops.

Take a copy of "Undaunted Courage" and spend a couple of days exploring the area, and you'll have a more authentic experience than is even conceivable in Las Vegas. It is a genuine slice of the real old west. No Dior or Rolex, no Wall Drug, no McDonalds. Just you, a grand old hotel and the Missouri.

Hey, you asked. It's the one true hotel. Accept no substitutes. :)

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 02:53PM

Steer clear of the old ladies with fur coats and blue hair abusing the one-armed bandits in downtown LV. They are the spawn of Satan.

Posted by: Heathen ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 03:06PM

I just spent several days at the Venetian a couple of weeks ago. It was top-notch.

The suite was great, and the poker room is one of the best in Vegas.

The only thing I didn't like was the convoluted layout of the towers and living space. By the time I figured it all out, the trip was about over.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 09:26PM

Heathen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The suite was great, and the poker room is one of
> the best in Vegas.

If you're in the area, be sure to come to my poker tournament, Jan.1-3, there. :)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 03:51PM

I heartily recommend the Sahara, the Thunderbird or the Desert Inn !!!!!

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 10:48PM

What? You don't like the Hacienda, Sands, Frontier or Dunes Hotels?

Eeee-oooo-eleven!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2015 10:49PM by csuprovograd.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 12:54AM

The Riviera! We forgot the Riviera!

In high school and before my mission, I bused tables at the Thunderbird showroom and the Sultan's Table at the Dunes.

A rite of passage in high school involved the Hacienda parking lot... it's complicated...

Posted by: lue ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 04:12PM

Pay and pray

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 08:20PM

It woule have to be The Four Queens on Fremont st.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.