Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: whiteandelightsome ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 12:54AM

Was there any part you actually think was decent or interesting or inspirational? I sort of thought the Book of Ether could be kinda interesting. First Nephi was a mess. Second Nephi was almost completely plagiarized. Jacob through Mossia were boring as hell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2015 12:57AM by whiteandelightsome.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: whiteandelightsome ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 12:57AM

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 01:06AM

The really old cover of the paperback copy. It looks like a gold plate. Pretty cool.

That's it.

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 02:31AM

I remember that copy. I wondered why it wasn't world famous/Smithsonian/National Geographic famous (if it was what they claimed it to be). It didn't add up...

Does anyone have that cover? It needs to be scanned and made into book covers, or I-pad covers for the missionaries. I would contribute to that fund! The GAs would turn green and need a barf bag. =) That is one of the best ideas I've had all day!

Posted by: Shiz head ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 06:34AM

Yeah I have one of those ones one my bookshelf. I should scan a high res version of it and make it available somewhere.

Posted by: Ex'dute ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 01:18AM

I loved ALL of The Book of Mormon! I saw it with the original cast on Broadway and laughed my ass off the whole time.

Oh, you mean that piece of fiction Joe Smith wrote/plagerized?
Not such a big fan of that one. It's definitely sleep inducing. That can be a good thing, right?

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 02:18AM

I loved the end...when I could finally put the book down and brag about reading it from cover to cover. I was soooo blessed for being a chosen child of god AND I read the BOM. There was nothing in the text that spoke to me.

I did like the descriptions of all the weapons of war the Nephites had. Years later I realized that if they did have any of these weapons we would have found them by now.

Remember when Nephi claimed to have made many swords like the sword of Laban? What ever happened to these swords?

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 02:46AM

I liked Ether too, and the submarines never bothered me because I figured they were just magic, and not meant to be efficient or realistic.

I kind of liked Second Nephi. Sure he copied Isaiah, but I didn't mind Isaiah. I found the grand, strategic, God's-view prophecies inspiring in a way.

I also liked the ending. Once you get over the circularity of "Moroni's Promise," there are some nice comments about faith and spiritual gifts. Of course, that wouldn't prove the whole book was true.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 04:37AM

And it came to pass...

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 09:09AM

I used to like Lehi's dream about the tree of life, the fruit, river and people wandering off. I clung to that when everything else in the Book of Mormon seemed fake.

Then I found out that it was not unique to the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith's father had talked about it before the Book of Mormon was even written. So the last thing I held onto as my faith died has ended up becoming the thing that I dislike most now.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 10:18AM

There were parts of the King Benjamin address that were good social gospel kinds of stuff. But, it was a marginal part of the LDS Church as I experienced it. They were more worried about what I was going on with my zipper than helping the poor and oppressed.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 10:25AM

I liked some verses in Moroni...ones I later found out were pretty much copied from the Bible.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 11:38AM

No. No parts :)

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 12:22PM

My very first taste of philosophy was Lehi's talking to his sons and mentioning that for everything there is an opposite. I liked that a lot when I was very young.

Posted by: grrlpower ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 04:19AM

The only time I read it was when I was a young teen who still believed. But even then, I enjoyed the book of mormon more as a story than scripture. For example, I loved that Teancum got tired of dealing with the evil Lamanite king and just went in at night and killed him. That was honestly my favourite part.

Although I did also like the picture of Abinadi and the idea that everything has an opposite.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 12:26PM

I used to like Captain Moroni. I always pictured him riding his mighty horse, bravely swinging his shiny sword in battle.

He now looks ridiculous riding a tapir swinging a wooden sword. Goddamnit, FAIR :(

Posted by: brucermalarky ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 12:28PM

Of all the fiction that joseph Smith wrote I think he did his best work on the Book of Moses. Chapters 5, 6, and 7 are awesome as far as I'm concerned.

Giants, the earth speaking, caananites, heavens weeping. He went all out on that, I can still read it today as a good fiction novella.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 01:07PM

It makes a serviceable coaster.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 01:38PM

My favorite passage, which I think is a true doctrine:

"Man is, that he might have joy."

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 01:43PM

I liked the paintings of the scantily clad, hot Lamanite men!

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 01:51PM

I like the part when it caught fire after I threw it into the fireplace. It put out some good warmth for a few minutes. That was really the only part I liked.

Posted by: bfp ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 01:58PM

True story...went on a camping trip w/ my son; we backpacked in, and I took the BOM for fire starter. However, that evening around the camp fire, I said, "Dude, I gots to run to the lil boyz room, need the TP." He said, "ah dad, you were suppose to bring that." I says, "Wtf, give me your sock than?" He said, "I got something better..how about 3rd Nephi?"

3rd Nephi cleansed the soul of my buttay very well that night.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 02:06PM

The part where the evil MORmON prophet is killed ......
Is not that part of the Book Of MORmON story?

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 02:57PM

I like the "waters of Alma Wet T-shirt contest"

Posted by: sonofabish ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 02:58PM

When I was TBM, I liked the Abanadi story, no reason why though. I think it was because of the painting appealed to me. Seeing some old frail dude tied up talking to a fat guy on a throne with leopards surrounding him.

Everything else was pretty blah though.

Posted by: Unbelievable ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 09:27PM

Like R. Packham, I, too, liked "Men are that they might have joy."

Date: August 04, 2015 06:14AM

I liked the concept of not baptizing babies. Anyone who gets baptized should not be forced to do so.

Date: August 04, 2015 06:16AM

Because Jesus was 30 years old when he was baptized by John the Baptist. So in trying to be like Jesus anyone who wants to get baptized, should be of a legal age.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 12:25PM

cedar chest. My ex's MP gave it to him when he left the mission field.

But I liked ZERO about the BofM. I probably read it more than any of my friends or family because I had to be perfect and save my gay husband, but I agree with Mark Twain--chloroform in print.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.