Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 12:11PM

I emailed in my resignation last Thursday. I got home Monday from work and checked the mail. To my surprise I had a letter from the church.

It was my "Local matter, Bishop will contact you, eternal consequences, blah blah blah" And my "Invitation to come back."

I got it a lot faster then I thought I would, but that mean's I'm out! I don't care what crap they feel they have to do. I have proof they received my letter. It's awesome !

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 12:29PM

You could leave a message for the bish. "Don't call me. I've resigned. Please move along the paper work."

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 01:53PM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You could leave a message for the bish. "Don't call me. I've resigned. Please move along the paper work."

You could use this line as well:

"I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign." (The Prisoner)

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 12:30PM

yeah, 'eternal consequences'. Gotta love it. Like they are so powerful. whenever (if ever) I see god I will challenge him with a whole lot of my own special handshakes and see who's so damn powerful.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 12:31PM

It seems I mailed it on the 17th of January and I had a reply on the 20th. On the 1st of February, the bishop (a friend) showed up with a cinnamon roll and told me he wouldn't try to talk me out of it, that he understood as he had watched all I went through over the years.

Posted by: blind mule ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 12:39PM

cl2 nice the bishop showed up with a cinnamon roll. A bottle of Jamison irish whiskey would also have been a nice thought... just saying

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 03:20PM

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 01:03PM

The general rule is frighten the former member into reneging on their choice and return to the slave quarters !

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 01:25PM

If they really cared why send the same form letter to all who bail. Must be a cost issue; they'd have to hire real people to write personal "Please reconsider" notes.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 01:30PM

No need to hire: just assign members....
Well, maybe not. The members just might read the letters sent to TSCC and realize that TSCC is a scam.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2015 01:30PM by rhgc.

Posted by: Unbelievable ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 01:57PM

I mailed my letter on 7-25 and got the same invite letter to come back. No thanks.

Posted by: scotchipman ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 02:51PM

To be officially off the records you need to have the Stake President send in some paper work and then you will get a second letter saying that your name has been removed from the membership records of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Until you get the second letter your name is still on the records.

Date: August 04, 2015 02:56PM

Right, per the LDS church that is their thing. But not per US law. They can't keep me from resigning. I have proof that they got my letter. Good enough for me.

Because let's be honest, who thinks they really remove anyone's names? Nah, they just like a little button (Name removed) and keep your name. It help's the church to keep growing.

Posted by: whywait ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 03:10PM

Actually, per U.S. case law the only practical effect of resigning is that it keeps them from taking disciplinary action against you.

They are not required by law to send you any letter.

They are not prohibited by law from attempting to recruit you to return or to attempt to change your mind about resigning.

They may keep you on any internal list they so desire and may retain any private information they have collected from you over the years.

They may share the fact you are no longer a member with other members. They may not however, taint your reputation with something like "Mr. X resigned because he was unable to obey the law of chastity." Simply saying "Mr. X is no longer a member of our church," is sharing a fact, and facts, by definition, are not slanderous or libelous.

Date: August 04, 2015 03:19PM

All I stated was they can't not keep me as a member. Once I resigned I am no longer a member. I don't care what games they play with in their church. No longer being a member does in fact mean they can't take any disciplinary actions against me. Why? Because I am no longer a member of their church.

"The court ruled that with her resignation Guinn withdrew her consent to being treated as a member and she withdrew her consent to being subject to church discipline."

They send the letters on their own accord, which is just proof that they did in fact get my letter. They mentioned the fact that they go it and will be sending to the local bishop.

Yes, they can try to recruit whoever they want. And I agree, they can keep your name on their records. They don't really remove anything, they just mark it as removed. So if some day down the road you decide you want to join again, they will have a record of you removing your name.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 06:18PM

You actually stopped being a member when you decided that you don't want to be a member...

Sending a letter to "formally resign" is simply a matter of policy for the LDS church.

Your name and all your information is still in the membership database, it will always be there... just like my name will always be in a membership database for blockbuster until the last DB server shuts down.

Posted by: whywait ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 08:08PM

Except that the church is fully within its rights to take disciplinary action against you if you have not notified the church that you no longer are a member.

You may not consider yourself a member, but the church is able to consider you a member and to treat you as a member. They can excommunicate you and spread the word you were excommunicated.

For some in highly Mormon areas, excommunication makes a person unworthy as a business partner. Business owners can lose customers.

So there are legitimate practical reasons for resignation.

Posted by: geezerdogmom ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 03:33PM

I quit shortly after I joined - just before I was to go to the Temple - because of the masonic plagiarism and lots of doctrinal (now known as cog-dis) problems.

Anyway, I got my letter and reportedly was removed and then I stupidly rejoined out of fear. I had never believed in the idea of Satan but somehow became terrified so ran back.

When I was re-baptized after another year, I didn't get a new baptism certificate but did get the exact same membership number. The ward bishropic also insisted on confirmation beside the waters because they didn't want to tell anyone I had to be re-baptized as if I had "sinned," they said. The men changed their mind and, the next day - Sunday - announced that I was back in complete fellowship = so everyone (who innocently didn't know a thing *snark*) would know I as now a good girl.

I should have recognized the manipulation and the deceit and the fact that I was never off the rolls during my first apostasy. I am now waiting for the letter from SLC verifying my second apostasy - should be here sometime soon.

I still want a personalized license plate that says "apost8 2x".

Posted by: Bruce A Holt ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 04:59PM

Date: August 04, 2015 05:00PM

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 06:09PM

How about e-mailing them back, telling them you have made your decision and that their empty threats of imaginary eternal consequences are no deterrent, since you know longer believe.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 06:36PM

Your letter of resignation is your resignation.

Their reply to you confirms it.

The wording of their letter implies otherwise, of course. It is mistaken.

Posted by: pamelapotrey ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 06:52PM

Eric3,
My daughter has sent 2 or 3 letters & they said to go thru her Bishop. She just figured she was out & I had to tell her that I saw her name & number still on the ward computer. It can be a really big pain in the butt !!

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: August 05, 2015 03:56PM

Momto15kids, no, you are out; their records are in error.

This is case law. The group has no right to keep you. The group doesn't get to decide the procedure for resigning. The group doesn't get to stall the process. The group doesn't have any rights here.

You have resigned from the moment you notify the group you have resigned. There is no other requirement.

If the group would like to follow some internal process that's their problem. You have resigned.

If the group's membership list shows you as a member, that is their error. It would be reasonable to complain to them: I resigned as of this date, yet I understand you still list me otherwise, when will you correct your error.

But whether they fix their error or not, the group has no power to keep you as a member. Their records are simply in error.

Date: August 05, 2015 09:44PM

Thank you for that info , Eric3. I will pass it on to my daughter. ( She'll be relieved !)

Date: August 04, 2015 06:48PM

Wanderinggeek :
If your membership record # still shows up on the ward records.....you AREN'T out. If it's still on the computer records in the ward ......it's in the computers at the church offices Bldg. I would just forward what the church office's sent you to the Bishop where you are& tell them to delete all of your information off of their computers. Our oldest daughter has written letters to the church office's bldg & they keep sending'em back to her & telling her to go thru her ward bishop.
Good luck.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 08:10PM

I never got a letter saying please stay. They never wanted me.
:)

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: August 05, 2015 06:26PM

You are out. Hurray for you!!!!

Posted by: theviking ( )
Date: August 05, 2015 10:43PM

What's all the wording? I'd like to see the letter.

Date: August 06, 2015 08:55PM

theviking Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's all the wording? I'd like to see the
> letter.

So would I !!

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: August 06, 2015 10:02PM

Get your own!!

Date: August 07, 2015 02:04PM

Posted by: mbslytherin ( )
Date: August 06, 2015 11:24PM

Because of family, I ended up going through the whole meet with the local bishop process. Fortunately for me, he just said okay, and didn't try to convince me to stay. Just recently got a letter back from the church:

This letter is to notify you that, in accordance with your request, your name has been removed from the membership records of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Should you desire to become a member of the Church in the future, the local bishop or branch president in your area will be happy to help you. Sincerely, Confidential Records

I'm surprised it didn't say anything about 'eternal consequences'. Or about how I'm gonna burn in hell with the devil...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.