Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 02:41PM

For me it's a toss-up.

Grandmother made one with lemon jello and tomato slices.

Aunt makes one, to this day, with red jello, craisins, nuts, and cottage cheese.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 02:44PM

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 02:46PM

ate... no not ate, SAW recently one with Mayo in it. How she got it to jell is a wonder in itself.

Posted by: Trisha ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 02:46PM

Okay not Jello-but my TBM friend just made brownies with beans in them..

Posted by: dowahdiddy ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 02:58PM

I've heard of that too. Some sort of food storage concoction. Gross.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 02:53PM

Lemon jello and tomato slices?

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Date: April 12, 2011 03:06PM

I loved my grandmother, but she was a very strict believer in the "choose your jello additions by complimentary color" school.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 03:16PM

I bet it was pretty! LOL

Date: April 12, 2011 03:18PM

My mother added a can of veg-all to her green jell-o. That's carrots, potatoes, peas, green beans, and lima beans in beef broth. Then garnished each serving with a huge dollop of Best Foods mayo. Yum!

Posted by: GayLayAle ( )

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 03:50PM

Andrew Zimmern would turn his nose up at that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2011 07:58PM by helamonster.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 09:48PM

Then it's at least more like an aspic. The beef broth in the Veg-All would flavor the gelatin.

But sweet lime jello with beef broth flavored veggies just sounds like vomit.

Date: April 12, 2011 02:58PM

Who thinks this shit up?

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 03:57PM

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 07:13PM

Utah Phillips and his experience with cooking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zb1qsVqjwg

Posted by: piscespirate ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 03:03PM

DH's TBM aunt served it to everyone at the last family reunion before MIL passed away. I couldn't stop staring at it.

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 03:07PM

the green jello makes it a salad!

Posted by: rgg ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 03:12PM

My mom just added carrots and it was still gross -- there were more carrots than green jello...

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 03:48PM

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 05:50PM

Date: April 12, 2011 05:52PM

+1 ROFL

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 03:15PM

Lemon jello with baby shrimp, mayo, celery and who knows what all. My MIL still makes it for family parties occasionally. She doesn't seem to notice that there is only ever one serving missing when the party is over - and that was usually taken by someone who didn't want to hurt her feelings and was tossed in the garbage when she wasn't looking.

RAINBOW Jell-O. Every Thanksgiving.

A layered affair with every color Jell-O you can think of, one thin layer on top of the other, and every other layer had Jell-O and yogurt, so you had a layer of regular Jell-O, then a yogurt layer, then a regular layer and so on.

Date: April 12, 2011 04:11PM

And have seen pictures of this monstrosity, but didn't know anyone ever actually MADE it! Wow!

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 05:42PM

My mother made it all the time. Still makes it and takes it to parties to this day. The only difference is she mixed it with sour cream instead of yogurt. So it would be red, pink (red jello + sour cream), orange, peach (orange jello + sour cream), etc. etc, etc. Even the smell of the concoction is vile.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 07:20PM

My SIL makes the rainbow jello. It looks gorgeous and tastes absolutely awful.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 03:21PM

10 Vodka Jello shots at the "Famous Door" in Nawlins followed by four 1 yard Hurricanes from Pat O'Brien's. Ended up with a tattoo on my hiney with no recollection of any of it.

Ron

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 08:33PM

Sounds right up my alley. Jello shots aren't frightening, but thier results sure as hell can be.

Posted by: Duckbutt ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 04:09PM

OK Ron --yours takes the cake --
Jello that leads to a tattoo....

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 05:04PM

or heard of, until I came here. Yeah, shredded carrots in green jello, yuck, but other vegetables, and MEAT??? Deer gawd.

Reminds me of Rachel Green's mistake with trifle, accidentally combining recipes (from Friends). But Mormons do this on purpose... *shudder*

This must be a mormon-only thing, like wearing magical undies. A peculiar people indeed.

So would they combine, say, angel food cake and canned tuna? Honestly, it's the same horrific thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2011 05:05PM by serena.

Posted by: odin ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 05:48PM

Why did I have to read this? I was going to go out for dinner tonight.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 06:06PM

I just realized that I never eat Jello, and yet it was a staple in my Mormon house when I was a kid. The worst to me was shredded carrots in lime Jello, though we mostly had it plain.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 06:33PM

Thanksgiving 2005

Jello with pineapple and Cheddar cheese.

Seriously WTF is THAT about?

Posted by: Bdawn ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 06:55PM

I've been reading this board for years... maybe 10. I remember someone telling about their grandmother's (?) continuous jello concoction. It had something to do with always saving the jello salad leftovers and adding them into the next salad, along with whatever else she could find. Anyone else remember this story? If I recall the posters fears that there were parts of that blended jello salad that were just as old as them. Disgusting, yet hilarious...

Posted by: musicangelgirl ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 07:09PM

Green Jello with bits of Ham, celery, Carrots, Colored Mashmallows and I think it was lucky charms. Underneath it was garnish with lettuce and it was topped with mayo and cottage cheese.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 09:55PM

That's just bewildering. I don't understand why people happily put together combinations in jello that they'd never eat together without the jello.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 07:16PM

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 07:24PM

Does the LDS church own shares in Jello, Inc.? My God...I can hardly believe some of the concoctions people have described here are real!

Date: April 12, 2011 07:38PM

The two places in the US that have the highest Jello consumption are Utah and Iowa, last time I checked.

I think it has to do with some sort of Northern European taste for slippery foods, like lutefisk.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 07:25PM

Cut a can of spam into tiny cubes. Stir into lime jello with some cottage cheese.

Seriously, it makes vomit look appetizing. It didn't taste that awful. I was in a situation where it was served to me so I had to move it around on my plate and take a bite. Awkward!

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 07:25PM

Seriously. Gross.

I could only ever stomach plain Jell-O, but even then, I didn't really care for it.

However, as a kid on summer swim team for many years, most of us would bring boxes of Jell-O from home and eat it dry from the box.

Yep. We were Jell-O Juicing. That much straight sugar is definitely a performance enhancing drug.

These days, the thought of eating that makes my stomach churn.

Posted by: musicangelgirl ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 07:34PM

There is one Jello concoction I do like though my grandmother (Exmo) makes either orange or strawberry jello and puts mandarine oranges in it its pretty good.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 07:40PM

My SIL lives in Roy,Ut has been in the state for almost 40 years. She'd tell me about the reception and the jello salads.

I thought she was just pulling my leg, but reading the messages in this topic, she was telling the absolute truth.

I'll never be able to look a jello the same again. I use to think slurping jello like John Beluschi in Animal House for the grandkids was a great ice breaker and lots of fun. But catching a batch with tomatoes or veg-all is just disgusting.

Posted by: xophor ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 07:53PM

I remember decades ago having orange jello with diced celery...and I liked it. Always meant to make it myself but never did. I've always liked jello...even if it is made from skin and hooves.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 08:00PM

Jello and vodka consumed with frightening speed...

Posted by: dowahdiddy ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 09:55PM

+1!!

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 08:01PM

It sounds like some of these mix'n is against the law. Pure food and drug act or something. I always thought that green jell-o was a mormon invention.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 08:27PM

Me too! Who the hell puts celery in Jello? I did not know it got worse. Boy was I wrong! Jebus! :)

Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 09:58PM

and orange rind in cherry jell-o.

It tastes as bad as it sounds!

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 10:01PM

It was chicken salad in plain clear Jello. I tried it once. In subsequent years I was instructed to put some on my plate even if I didn't plan on eating it. I love and miss my granny dearly but this dish was just...so sad and disgusting.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.