Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 10, 2015 04:15PM

...are closed on Sundays?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: August 10, 2015 04:30PM

You forgot that they are closed on Mondays and Saturday afternoons(after 11am) as well!!!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 10, 2015 04:34PM

Nope. The Mormons are supposed to be in church.

What I find funny is how badly attended the are. If you really believed and knew there existed a place you could go to "commune with Jehovah" why don't more do it? A couple of hours for a dead person for 5 minutes with God seems a fair trade?

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 07:01AM

The endowment is so physical, so controlled, with so much preening by the older people, that it crowds out any listening, learning, or introspection.

I think a lot of temple "patrons," in fact most of them, can sense that atmosphere. It forces them to forget about the temple in order to stay reasonable and functional. It causes them to postpone visits to the temple whenever they can.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 12, 2015 12:30PM

I agree. The experience sucks but the hype is huge. People says the craziest things but their actions show the temple is not what they say it is....or their God is not worth it to go and commune with regularly.

I wonder how many people like the idea of God more than the reality. Mormonism is offering them the chance to get 5 minutes of "His" time...

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: August 10, 2015 04:47PM

I find that bizarre....not trust the other brethren who qualified as worthy to go to the IHOH?

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: August 10, 2015 06:16PM

What I found funny the very first time I heard about it, was that the holiest ritual in Mormonism (the "sacred endowment"), performed in the holiest buildings in Mormonism, requires watching reruns of a *movie*!

Date: August 11, 2015 06:50AM

I went through a live session at Salt Lake. Trust me, the movie is better.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: August 13, 2015 01:00AM

Yeah seeing Adam and Eve portrayed by 90 year olds is a mind blower. Hard to picture that shit naked walking around a garden.

No thanks. What's Satan's plan again?

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: August 13, 2015 01:44AM

The CULT IS Satan's plan!

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 10, 2015 06:23PM

I think it's funnier that they have locks on the lockers in the changing rooms. Where is the power of discernment that Bishops claim to have? How could God's Anointed let common thieves into their holiest shrine?

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: August 10, 2015 08:03PM

CA girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think it's funnier that they have locks on the
> lockers in the changing rooms. Where is the power
> of discernment that Bishops claim to have? How
> could God's Anointed let common thieves into their
> holiest shrine?

And cash registers to make change. Didn't Jesus himself have something to say about that?

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 03:03AM

I also think the cash register thing is funny, and I wonder if my ex-husband had a Jesus like fit if he ever went to the temple. I'm saying that because once when we were camping along the Rose Parade route, New Year's Eve was on a Sunday, and he had a fit about the city college's Institute selling tickets for a Disney movie marathon in order to use their parking lot. This building was across Colorado Blvd from the college, so it was along the route. His roommate bought a ticket, as they only required one to be purchased at least, and my ex spent the rest of the evening pouting.

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: August 10, 2015 08:07PM

I've heard they rudely rush everyone out of the celestial room. You get five minutes to meditate? "Move along, Jesus hates slackers!" (This from a religion where you practically live at church on Sundays...) ???

Posted by: geezerdogmom ( )
Date: August 10, 2015 08:30PM

Yes, they did rush me every time! One time, the people (my HT and his wife) I went with wanted to leave immediately after the veil thingy - I didn't even get to sit down!

I love to meditate and get into that lovely peaceful zone . . . maybe the temple ladies knew I should NOT be meditating there?

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: August 13, 2015 01:49AM

I would be tickled pink to be rushed through the Hotel California (I mean CULT temple!). I don't want to spend time in the house of EVIL HORRORS, thanks anyway.

"I loved how everyone would walk around the urine soaked bathroom floor and then walk around the Temple in the same little shoes. Gross. I always thought that was so rude and unholy. Also I felt the people were jerks inside, not necessarily the workers, but all the members were just rude jerks."

I have not ever heard about this URINE SOAKING OF THE FLOORS!... enough to GAG a maggot. Why was the floor urine soaked? People pissed their pants when they realized they were in the presence of PURE EVIL?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2015 01:49AM by verilyverily.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 10, 2015 09:30PM

Mormon temples can't be holy.

Holy places are attractive to everyone and open to everyone, all the time.

The fact that they have to beg you every Sunday to come to the temple makes it the equivalent of a rusted playground where no one wants to go.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: August 10, 2015 09:49PM

Jeebus stops by every temple on Sundays to cast out the money changers and look at the books.

He just loves doing that knowing he doesn't have render a red cent unto Caesar.

Posted by: brothernotofjared ( )
Date: August 10, 2015 10:02PM

Good one Shummy. Got me laughing. ;)

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: August 10, 2015 10:08PM

It's funny, the LDS need a gazillion temples and prior to Jesus the Jews only needed one. I seem to remember being told that the temple rites are the same today as they were of old. If that's the case then where are the blood sacrifices and burnt offerings made today. Oh, that's right, the ritual has been changed. It's the same old ever changing and evolving church messing with the temple ceremonies. I find it amazing that the church taught, do they still, that our present rituals are just as they were and yet we change them up periodically. I have an Jewish cousin who looked at me as if I was crazy when I mentioned that we did in the temples the same rites as back in the day in Jerusalem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2015 10:11PM by michaelc1945.

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 02:38AM

Presumably, the movie has been updated a bit since the long ago days in Jerusalem.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 10, 2015 10:14PM

I know a man who went to the tabernacle or conference center and thought he was in the temple. He heard a wonderful patriotic concert and thought this is what Mormons do in their temples regularly.

Strange that I tell him he wasn't in the temple but he still thinks it although he's a nevermo who knows about Mormons what he learned in four days as some kind of consultant.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 09:59AM

Cheryl Wrote:
> I know a man who went to the tabernacle or
> conference center and thought he was in the
> temple. He heard a wonderful patriotic concert and
> thought this is what Mormons do in their temples
> regularly.

I heard that many times during my mission in Texas. We, of course, never corrected anyone, but rather asked the so-called golden question: "What do you know about the Mormons?"

Posted by: Truthbetold ( )
Date: August 10, 2015 10:57PM

They also have a fictitious angel Moroni on top of the temples. You'd think it would at least be Jesus, right? Just another obvious reason why folks outside TSCC believe Mormons aren't Christians.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 10:01AM

Truthbetold Wrote:
> They also have a fictitious angel Moroni on top of
> the temples. You'd think it would at least be
> Jesus, right? Just another obvious reason why
> folks outside TSCC believe Mormons aren't
> Christians.

And, of course, the fact that wardhouses do not have crosses like all other Christian churches.

Posted by: anonlurkeranon ( )
Date: August 12, 2015 01:33PM

Seems kind of like a golden calf now in my mind. Got to have an idol on the top of every temple.

Posted by: ElderCarrion ( )
Date: August 10, 2015 11:10PM

The House of the Lord

A place where you must show a card that verifies that you are honest, worthy and current in your support of the Corporation of the President.

A place where no homeless man or woman has ever eaten, rested or helped along the difficult road of life.

Jesus would be proud...if He were Mormon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niPe80Jdd2U

Date: August 12, 2015 12:46PM

Most of the current temples are essentially three-dimensional billboards for the church. And the intended viewers are mostly the members themselves.

However, some of Hinckley's shoddily built McTemples don't even work as advertising. That man was just going for numbers.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: August 12, 2015 01:50PM

was to benefit the Levites. An observant Jew could only worship Jaweh at one place--the temple. And that worship consisted in one thing--animal sacrifice. And when the sacrifice was made, Jaweh got the guts and the Levites got the meat--plus a fee for performing the slaughter. They could also provide the animal for sacrifice--again for a nominal consideration. It was at bottom a revenue generating enterprise. And the temple must have stunk to high heaven like the slaughter house it was.

The-mo-temples-are-the-same-minus-the-slaughter-and-the-stink-ly yrs,

S

Posted by: Hail Odin ( )
Date: August 13, 2015 12:55AM

I loved how everyone would walk around the urine soaked bathroom floor and then walk around the Temple in the same little shoes. Gross. I always thought that was so rude and unholy. Also I felt the people were jerks inside, not necessarily the workers, but all the members were just rude jerks.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.