Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 12:03AM

I recently came across a short talk or possibly Ensign article by Richard Scott (of the Big 12) entitled, "How to Obtain Revelation and Inspiration for your Personal Life".

I get that a religion that is based on the notion of personal revelation would produce such a document. They have, of course, produced thousands.

It is quite laundry list of the ways revelation can come- and they all boil down to "strong feelings".

Here is the parallel: I acquired long ago a tome entitled "Seership- Hindoo and Oriental Methods" (written in the 1930's sometime).

The two are almost the same document. The only real difference is that the book has more words.

I question the efficacy of either approach.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 12:12AM

Yea, I remember PPP bragging in some of his writings about the parellels between tscc and Mohamadism, by which I assume he meant Islam.
Hugh Nibly was always writing about parellels also. Maybe they were not sure of their own religion, so they have to say things like "see, we are just like them"

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 12:13AM

At the core all religions are about feelings and drawing near to a god or gods.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 05:56AM

slskipper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I question the efficacy of either approach.

As you should :)

If a person decides to honestly examine such claimed "revelations" (from within ANY belief system), and they faithfully record all such feelings, and their outcome (if any), interesting things happen.

Going over the lists, taking note of "hits" and "misses," the "misses" will always outnumber the "hits" (given a large enough sample size). An exercise that clearly demonstrates that these approaches are not reliable in any way.

Without carefully tracking the "hits" and "misses," though, we humans tend to remember the "hits," and forget or ignore the "misses," and so convince ourselves we're really getting "revelations." When all we're doing is guessing and remembering when we happen to guess right.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 06:59AM

Remember, our feelings are also warning systems and built in radars. They let us sense danger, and when things appear *safe.*

Feelings are an integral part of who we are as human beings.

We would be wise to integrate that aspect of ourselves with the rational being. Because they are interloped anyway.

Being in touch with your feelings. Now that is the key.

Part of developing spirituality is becoming more aware of our surroundings and our feelings in response to minutiae.

It seems the OP may be confusing "strong feelings" with intuitiveness, and astral projection. Highly developed human beings are in touch not only with their feelings, like their reason. They're also somewhat, if not abundantly, intuitive.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 09:18AM

What we really want is step-by-step guide on how to get angels to show up in your bedroom. Amyjo, it seems when you talk of inspiration, you are referring to self-discovery sorts of things. That is truly important in spiritual discovery. But Mormonism claims a completely different notion. Mormonism claims that there is a personal God, who at one time had a name like Steve or Frank, who is now able to show up in your living room or meet you in the woods, and who has thousands of humanoid messengers who are likewise able to show up in your bedroom and carry on a verbalized conversation- not just instill in you "feelings" of self-worth or oneness with the cosmos or whatever. Mormonism says that it is theoretically possible to talk to God about the Kardashians' plastic surgery. The leaders of Mormonism are by that very fact under obligation to tell us how to do that. When they don't, they have failed in their jobs and should be dismissed from service.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2015 09:31AM by slskipper.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 10:23AM

As I ventured into and out of Moism feelings had a lot to do with those moves. I was a doubting investigator until I experienced the "burning bosom" and turned "golden." I was an arrogant TBM because I knew I was in "the only true church." This was because of feelings of spiritual superiority to all others not in the LDS club. Move along and thirty years pass with disillusionment along the way and feelings of doubt arise concerning the "true church of Christ." Finally the case of the government versus the Branch Davidians parallels so closely to the government versus the early Mormons that again feelings confirmed my growing doubts concerning the church and the only recourse was to leave. Feelings are important. Listen to them and consider them in life decisions.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 12:24PM

My strong feelings tell me Richard Scott is full of baloney.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.