Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderborracho ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 12:42AM

Not long ago there was a thread about Bednar. At the time, I wasn't ready to participate in this apostate website. However, I would like to "re-visit" Bednar. I actually met him last year at a stake conference. Due to certain circumstances, I was one of a "lucky few" who got to meet and visit with him. All I have to say is arrogant a**! Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 12:45AM

I met him at a stake conference in Michigan. He's a pompous ass.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 10:12AM

Heard him at a stake conference in the Southeast (US). Arrogant.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 12:47AM

He is the Joseph Goebbels of Mormonism.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 12:52AM

Bednar was head-ass of Ricks while I was there. Unfortunately, (or... fortunately, now that I think about it) I have lots of in-person experiences with... god I just snarled... that man.

When he was made apostle? One more straw.

Posted by: curious ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 12:57AM

So what's the story on Bednar?

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 01:14AM

Really, he is just an arrogant, pious ass. AND... he was demeaning to my dad when he set him apart in a college ward bishopric, so he can just go fuck himself. Wait. He can't. He's Bednar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2011 02:13AM by Queen of Denial.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 01:23AM

He does not deserve to get fucked.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 10:13AM

that's why he loves pickles.

Date: April 13, 2011 01:09AM

What do you mean, "what's the story on Bednar?" You familiar with him? The guy is a pompous ass! He demanded that we bring a notebook and take notes on his talk! I took a notebook and sat there with it in my hand. Then he proceeded to tell us that if we are offened, we need to "get over it!" Blow it out your a** Bednar! Take notes on that!

Posted by: blueskyutah ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 01:19AM

He single-handedly ruined Ricks College, in my humble opinion. He did in the name of Gordon B. Hinkley. Amen.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 01:20AM

Details. please

Posted by: Eldermalin ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 03:44AM

Never met him, but from the rumours I heard he had the Ricks students revelling in being held to a higher standard than BYU Provo with our heathen shorts and flip flops.
I had a cousin who was instructed by him to return home to dress more decently when she was jogging around campus in shorts.

Basically he seems to come across as Boyd K Packer Jr to me with his bulldog attitude towards life.

Posted by: whynot ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 03:59AM

There's something wrong with his eyes, like he's an alien shapeshifter. I often wondered is it the lack of coffee or the
constant living in a bubble that gives Mormons (not all of them forbid) that look ... His facial expression is unusual, like he's a shell of a man or hasn't slept in a year.

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 05:40AM

Elderborracho -- how about some details from your meeting?
-- mannerisms?
-- when he went off script, what was the first topic?
-- of the things he did that set off you "prick-dar", which could you "put on the shelf?". Which things couldn't go on the shelf?"
-- did you talk about it with any devout church members afterwards? What did they say?

-- any examples of honest questions folks asked that he gave vicious or arrogant responses to?
Just curious,
RG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2011 05:42AM by reinventinggrace.

Date: April 13, 2011 12:17PM

To Reinventing grace- reference your questions-

- He spoke in stake conference and we were all told how great it was going to be and what inspiring messages he had in store for us. We were told to bring a notebook and write down the "inspiring words." He knew that we all had notebooks and were ready to write. He specifically pointed out things we needed to write down. I felt like I was back in elementary school writing down my homework assignments. His mannerisms were almost "Paris Hilton-ish" as if he is thinking to himself "I am the great Bednar and everyone is here to worship me!" An hour before conference began, I got to sit in a "question and answer session" with him and Sitati (sp?) We all went around the room and introduced ourselves, etc. I remember a certain "apostate" had gotten in and introduced himself and said that he left the church and will probably never be back again! I could just see Bednar thinking, WTF? How did this guy get in here! How dare he says that he will probably never come back to the church! Bednar didn't have much to say other than "hopefully we can change that." He was certainly caught off guard.

Posted by: AB ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 05:54AM

Good video detailing what we are talKing about here. This fellow defines what is wrong with this church for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eGZ2xrzFC4

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 08:45AM

Guess that makes him a shoe in as future Profit.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 08:46AM

He then received a Doctorate in organizational behavior from Purdue University in 1980.

From 1980 to 1984, Bednar was the assistant professor of management in the College of Business Administration at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville, Arkansas. He became assistant professor of management at Texas Tech University from 1984 to 1986.
He then moved back to the University of Arkansas as the Associate Dean for Graduate Studies in the College of Business Administration from 1987 to 1992 and was then the director of the Management Decision-Making Lab from 1992 to 1997.

Posted by: tony ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 08:59AM

i.e., actually working for an entity outside of academia. He always struck me as a prick. And the morg can look forward to having him as Profit in about 20 years! Since he was appointed to the quorum at such a young age it is almost guaranteed that he will will run LDS, Inc. one day.

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 12:41PM

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise.
I've been hoping that KKK Packer would make it to the top,
because he's such an outrageous a**h*l*.
Bednar seems to be a chip off that same stock,
so maybe people will then leave the morg in droves.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 09:31AM

He has a facination with pickles because he's a Dillweed!

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: Redwing ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 10:00AM

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 10:14AM

We should all remember that there is a TBM rumor that Jesus will come back when Bednar is the profit.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 10:26AM

I wonder how the TBMs will react when Bednar gets totally ignored

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 11:08AM

Though I remember everyone thought that Christ would come while Kimball was prophet because he was the 12th prophet of this dispensation. For some reason the #12 seemed to be magical.

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 12:43PM

Well that may be, but since there still are 10 tribes missing, we should first get to hear of all of them and their 15 toppers & so forth. Can take hundreds of years...

Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 10:15AM

I met him twice, once in Okinawa and another time in Oklahoma. It was the same both times, a "special" Q & A session. He wasn't very helpful in answering our questions. Some answers only left more questions. He was rather vague. I was TBM both times I saw him. His wife seemed like a VERY quiet and submissive wife...so sad.

In Okinawa I remember my husband had to use the restroom, but since Bednar was in there, no one was allowed in. I thought that was really rude. Is he afraid that our husbands our going to comment on his ding-dong?

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 11:35AM

Well being one of the Lard's anointed I doubt if he has regular body waste like the rest of us. They probably didn't want to shock your husband with this insider info. OTOH maybe he just pees pickle brine. Who Knows?

Posted by: Anon455 ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 11:53AM

Actually, they do this with anybody who is both famous and/or powerful....not just church leaders.

I remember when Margaret Thatcher (prime minister of England) came to visit in SLC and because our company was British-owned, she visited us. We also waited outside (quite far outside) the restroom while she was in there.

She was actually quite a decent woman to meet--very formal but not an ass (like Bednar).

Posted by: christieja ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 10:24AM

I have never seen or met any LDS Apostles...I giggle and even struggle writing/using the word "Apostle" because I don't understand who would believe there are living Apostles walking the earth??? However, how would anyone expect these men to act? They are worshiped by a few million people, put on a pedestal and only have to pretend to their followers to have conversations and revelations from God.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.