Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gulliblestravels ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 11:10PM

I had to purge my wardrobe upon my exit (and loss of 40 lbs), but some of the things in there made me wonder, WHY?

Ugly cardigans
Denim pencil (or fat marker) skirts
Denim overall dress
Christmas sweaters
Cute strapy sundress w/ ugly FotL white tee under it
Waaay too many ugly pairs of flats
knee high stockings
Pinch pleated khacki (however u spell it) anything

I wore this stuff all through my 20's,and into my 30's. Sad part was, it made me fit right in.
No wonder I didn't notice my body going to crap since on my non-Sunday SAHM days it was sweats and baby food stained tee shirts during the day and piss yellow G's at night.
I know not every mo dressed like this. Some girls learned how to purge all that comfort food and had a hubby who could handle a high dollar charge card. (3 guesses which rung of the ladder they were on.)

Any way feel free to add your mo fashion nightmares.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 11:49PM

This post made me smile because I did the exact same thing! The day I purged all my grandma clothes was one of the happiest days of my life! I am horrified that I looked so frumpy during my 20's. Plus I'm really petite and the Molly uniform couldn't be more wrong for my body. Ugh. Anyway, I got rid of:

All my long shorts
Capris
Undershirts/layering shirts from Impel, Modbe and all those Mo clothing stores
One piece swimsuits and tankinis
2 pairs of Crocs (that's when you know it's bad)
All my long skirts (esp the denim ew WTF was I thinking? ???)
T-shirts from the Gap

I can't even tell you the JOY it brings me to slip on a cute cotton sun dress in the blazing AZ summer heat and actually being COMFORTABLE and stylish instead of the torture of wearing 3 layers of ugly clothes.

TBM women are insane.

Posted by: mi ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 12:35AM

Wow, I went the opposite direction of you two! I'm definitely a jeans and sneakers gal, so I loved pitching all those awful dresses, skirts, tights, and dressy shoes. I'm proud to say that I've worn a dress 3 times in the 5 years since I left church. I also chopped off about 3 feet of hair. I never did like fooling with it.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 12:49AM

It wasn't to many years ago that the only thing most mormon women could wear in the summer was long pants/jeans. They didn't have capris and the shorts were wayyyy to short. I am tall with long legs so the shorts weren't even close to being "acceptable" And every summer we went to Utah-so there we are with our g's and jeans in 110 degress. An how about not letting our little girls wear sleeveless tops and especially spaghetti strap dresses to church. Cause for being exed.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 01:47AM

I loved getting rid of the shapeless dresses, and the long jumper I had. I also tossed the long shorts I had, and bought more tank tops. I prefer to wear slacks when I dress up, but I do have a couple of sun dresses. I also cut my hair to shoulder length, which is a good length for me, as I have thick hair. One thing I do love is wearing high heels when I dress up, and wearing flip flops during the summer.

One aspect of the Molly uniform I never took on was the painted wooden necklace with Christmas trees or candy canes that several ladies in RS wore with the Christmas sweaters or a red turtleneck worn under a long denim jumper.

Posted by: SweetZ ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 02:08AM

floral skirts with buttons down the front. All gone from my wardrobe..

I still wear long skirts because I LOVE them. but I traded the uniform skirts for very casual hippie/moroccan style skirts

As for the t-shirt under the sundress.. this is a pretty common look, but you need the RIGHT tshirt.. mollys tend to go for the "look at me I'm wearing a t-shirt see how modest I am!" kind of t-shirt.. but I've seen lots of girls in new york wearing the tshirt under the sundress that look down right cute.. of course they're wearing more of a leotard sor of t-shirt, and it's a perfect match in color to the dress...

Posted by: Chasing Daisies ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 03:39AM

How I wish that I had had the courage to wear clothes that didn't hide my entire body when I had a body not to be ashamed of! Not that I'd dress as a hooker, but just a little more exposed.

Posted by: Thithter Thim ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 09:00AM

I've never worn "molly mormon" clothes...much so the opposite (and drove my parents crazy). I have to wear tight fitting jeans (but not on my legs, just around the hips/butt) and a tight fitting shirt. If my curves dont show, I feel frumpy :P

But I have to dress in layers. I've never worn G's, so there's nothing to associate my weirdness with. But I have to wear a super duper tight tank top or one of those body slimming tank tops underneath every shirt I wear, no exceptions. I cant stand to have loose fitting shirts, or even if they are tight...they are not tight enough, I like to feel constraint lol

So even in the summertime, I have my tight tight tank top, maybe another fashionable top and then a shirt. I'm crazy, I know, especially in the hot humid south. But it works for me lol

Posted by: VardaElentari ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 10:51AM

Eight years ago I got rid of my hideous dresses that never fit me right, but I am still having a hard time finding clothes that I love AND that look good on me.

For some reason I am still drawn to wearing loooong skirts, pants, t-shirts from the Gap, Christmas sweaters, flats, and boots.

I feel strange wearing heels and short dresses.

HOWEVER: one thing I LOVE LOVE LOVE to do is show off my cleavage.

LOL

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 11:07AM

I lived in badly fitting tshirts and badly fitting jeans for years.

I've done quite a bit to stay in clothing I feel conftable in. I wear bodysiuts(like catsiutes) under some of my clothing so it still looks deacent and I dont have to worry about it, I got into buying goth stuff and asian stuff so even if I do keep the church rules due to worried carers I still look damned good.

If I'm going to look stupid i'm going to look stupid on my own terms.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 02:41PM

I got rid of all my demure ruffled RS dresses.

I like tank tops and generally went into a slightly edgier style in all my clothing.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 06:28PM

Any of you "sport" those during the 80's?

I'm a man, but this thread is cracking me up because it is so true. Too many girls and women dressing in ways that are clearly not flattering for so many reasons.

Same with guys, our major problems are: white, ill fitting, cheaply made dress shirts (with yellow pit stains from keeping them too long), and over-pleated dockers that are strained by a bulging belly.

Or, terribly cheap Mr. Mac suits. Hideous drab grey wool with a cheap, cheap ugly tie.

Posted by: SD ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 05:53PM

Pre-Departure. T-shirt over Gs and jeans. Post Departure, T-shirt over bare skin and jeans. Damn, I'm scandalous.

Posted by: I believed this once, years ago.. ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 06:19PM

Sometimes I horrify myself by opening boxes of the clothes I wore as a young woman in the church. The top rung of my "dressy" clothes were dresses by Laura Ashley.

If anyone is unfamiliar with that label, they are upscale "Little House on the Prairie" outfits, like something a free-spirited FLDS sister-wife would wear.

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 08:10AM

I wore Laura Ashley dresses too, with empire waistlines that made me look dumpy and pregnant! What a frump!

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 08:28AM

dresses at my best friend's TBM wedding. Reception was on a yaht and best men looked like Sailors - White pants/navy blazers.

It really looked pretty (in an odd kind of way). Early 90's.

;o)

Posted by: koemi ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 06:33PM

I considered using my old missionary tags and going as a Sister missionary this Halloween....but then I realized I have nothing in my closet that would work! It was a proud moment.
So now, I'm thinking Sister missionary zombie....then I could go to a thrift store, get some of those god awful threads and tear them up! That would be fun!....and my costume could include cleavage. ;)

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 07:07PM

I don't know when the denim/prairie style started, because it certainly wasn't the norm when I grew up in SLC, but then I left forever during the Jackie Kennedy era. I didn't run into it during my church years in So Cal.

I feel sorry for my tall, attractive sisters-in-law in their baggy denim dresses and the long, awkward skirts. What a waste. Even when I was a missionary everyone wore just below the knee length skirts and blouses that fit.

Posted by: Molly Misanthrope ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 07:17PM

The stressed-out, "My life is perfect and I'm so happy, see?" smile. They don't "smile" around the eyes; just showing the pearly whites.

I feel so sorry for those gals.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.