Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kolonko ( )
Date: August 20, 2015 11:24PM

The most mormon cities we all know: SLC, Provo (and pretty much everything else in Utah) Than Boise, Phoenix and Colorado and many others in the West. When I look at the data many cities are just said to have below 1% mormon with no exact numbers. But exactly which city in USA is least mormon. From the biggest (LA, NY and Chicago) Chicago is probably least. But how about Boston or Minneapolis. Maybe you have some info. You know about big cities with just one branch or have personal experience?????

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sharapata ( )
Date: August 20, 2015 11:38PM

Well, I would have said perhaps Philadelphia until the Church decided for some inexplicable reason to build the large temple development complex currently under construction. Other cities that are least Mormon are perhaps Baltimore or St. Louis come to mind. But really, this is splitting hairs. ANY large city east of the Rockies has a negligible Mormon population percentage. I doubt any have more than one percent. Suburbs are likely somewhat higher.

Posted by: sharapata ( )
Date: August 20, 2015 11:43PM

Forgot to mention that I served my mission in Chicago. Chicago proper actually has about a dozen wards, half of which are Spanish speaking. But while this may seem like a lot, Chicago is also the third largest city in America with about 3 million residents so a dozen or so wards isn't really all that spectacular at all.

Posted by: godtoldmetorun ( )
Date: August 22, 2015 12:14AM

I live in the Chi, officially resigned over a year ago. From what I can tell you about those wards, they were bleeding members big time.

Also, a very transient population, especially in the YSA. Most of them were Morridor transplants in school, on an internship, or flight attendants based here. Lots and lots of Molly Mormon flight attendants.

But a lot of those transplants used the opportunity to get away from home, to also get away from the church. And good for them! Chicago is a much more exciting place when you can have a beer, and not have to be accounted for on a Sunday morning.

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: August 20, 2015 11:40PM

New Orleans

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: August 21, 2015 08:13PM

Yeah, New Orleans would have been my guess. Please, please don't ever let Mormons take control of New Orleans.

Posted by: sonofabish ( )
Date: August 21, 2015 12:03AM

Miami

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: August 21, 2015 08:09PM

Bakersfield/Delano, California: Metropolitan population of 839,631, only three stakes.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: August 21, 2015 09:30PM

The bible thumping deep south has traditionally been hostile to mormon's and j-dubs. Jew's and Catholics weren't too popular either. There was tar, feathers, public linchings, shunnings, burning down buildings all the way until the late 1930's.

This is a bit of mormon history that hasn't been recorded or documented very well at all. (Southerners, that I've known, don't read or write)

Lexington NC has the least that I'm aware of. There was anti mormon hostility up until the 1990's.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: August 21, 2015 09:57PM

I was curious about Minneapolis. Population 1.2 million in the county. 1 ward, 7 stakes. No wonder I know exactly 3 Mormons all converts.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: August 21, 2015 10:18PM

Do you mean 1 stake and 7 wards?

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: August 22, 2015 09:36AM

Yes, budget brain is killing my ability to think

Posted by: TC transplant ( )
Date: August 22, 2015 12:25PM

Minneapolis is wonderfully non-Mormon. I'm a transplant from the West Coast and loving life in the Twin Cities. Soooo many parks and lakes and trails. Lots of breweries, cafes, and restaurants. Winter is no joke tho.

To me, the Pacific NW and California seemed to have a bigger Mormon influence than you would think. Big East Coast cities like Boston and D.C. attract a lot of Mormon transplants that congregate in certain areas of town. This is anecdotal, but I don't know a single Mormon in Mnneapolis. Here, I'm not an ExMo or a pretend NeverMo, I'm just me.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 22, 2015 12:31PM

Sir or Madam, if you have any information on this issue, could you tell me if to any degree Twin Cities residents are *aware* of Lucas Davenport and/or Virgil Flowers?

Thank you.

Posted by: Britboy ( )
Date: August 22, 2015 10:38AM

Same in London, England. Greater London has a population of 18 million. There are about 34, 35 wards there. Most wards about 70 active members, so one ward for about half million people!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.