Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: isthechurchtrue ( )
Date: August 21, 2015 10:53AM

I knew that KSL (The Salt Lake NBC Channel) was friendly to the LDS Church but I didn't know that it was owned by the LDS Church. Is this news to everyone else?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Liz ( )
Date: August 21, 2015 10:57AM

No, and I'm wondering why Direct TV no longer offers KSL as a local station option.

If anybody knows the reason(s) I'd like to know.

I wonder what is really happening behind the scenes at Temple Square.

Posted by: sonofabish ( )
Date: August 21, 2015 11:07AM

When Directv was acquired by ATT, they wanted to lower costs by 20%. Part of doing that was to get local affiliates to agree to a lower payout. Directv carries the channels, but they still have to pay out to each channel. Everyone has different costs, but its normally depending on the number of subscribers. ESPN for example costs ~$5 per subscriber.

When DTV told KSL (and I assume many others across the country), they were going to pay them less, KSL said no. DTV said, fine we will drop you.

Really it comes down to KSL (the morg) not wanting to take a pay cut.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 21, 2015 11:37AM

sonofabish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When DTV told KSL (and I assume many others across
> the country), they were going to pay them less,
> KSL said no. DTV said, fine we will drop you.

Same thing with our local CBS affiliate, channel 8 in San Diego :)

No, it wasn't news to me that the church owned KSL.

Posted by: Aunt Betty ( )
Date: September 10, 2015 05:21PM

DIRECTV must have permission from Bonneville International to make KSL available to any of our Salt Lake City customers. Bonneville is withholding permission unless we commit you and our other Salt Lake City families to paying more than triple to have the same KSL shows as before and most of which they can also still get for free over the air and at NBC.com.
When will KSL Return?
KSL can return within moments, just as soon as Bonneville grants its permission, so there’s no real reason for your home to be blocked at all. We ask station owners like Bonneville to keep their stations available while we finalize any behind-the-scenes business agreements but Bonneville has refused. DIRECTV has productive ongoing relationships with more than 1,500 different local TV stations across the country and we anticipate KSL returning to our local customers’ homes soon too.
This info direct from Direct TV's Website.
SHAME ON BONNEVILLE!

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: August 21, 2015 11:00AM

No! They've been more than open about this one since time immemorial. There have even been problems and issues between CBS and their affiliate KSL over programming that the Mormons did not like or objected to in some way. I don't know if Bonneville is wholly owned by the church anymore, but I believe it is. They have divested themselves of some things, but I think they've kept this one.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: August 21, 2015 11:01AM

You say it's NBC. Maybe it is. I no longer remember. Or they might have changed.

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: August 21, 2015 04:32PM

They switched to NBC years ago. Now they always cause controversy when they won't air some shows. Like Hannibal and Playboy Club.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: August 21, 2015 11:18AM

Aw, I'm jealous.

What fun you're going to have for the next several hours!

Start digging, find out what the mormon church owns.

Then keep digging.

Find "Deseret Advisors", IIRC that was one of the holding companies. Edit to correct name change should be "Deseret Management" , but isn't there a "Deseret Advisors" too?

Just about anything with "reserve" after it. "the church" itself isn't actually a church that they worship, but rather, "Intellectual Reserve, Inc." that is who is the ACTUAL church is. They own the Book of Mormon, all the church publications, the copyright to the temple film etc. Then there is "Property Reserve, Inc." they own the physical buildings including ward houses, temples, hotels & malls. Then there is "AG Reserve Inc." they own the ranches.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2015 01:39PM by Levi.

Posted by: Jack Rabbit ( )
Date: September 09, 2015 02:35PM

Ensign Peak Advisors.

Posted by: Britboy ( )
Date: August 21, 2015 11:28AM

I dont think they own the BOM anymore as the copyright ran out. On amazon you can get copies printed by commercial companies!

Posted by: Argonaut ( )
Date: August 21, 2015 03:12PM

They own the BOM version with all the footnote references, it's how they control their version of the KJV bible as well.

Posted by: isthechurchtrue ( )
Date: August 21, 2015 11:43AM

KSL went from CBS to NBC in 1995. KSL also owns Cozi-TV and this tv. It was news to me because I don't live in Utah. I found a statement online that says their ratings slumped after abandoning actual reporting for LDS Church propaganda.

"According to media observers, channel 5's ratings slumped after Mark Wiles became president of Deseret Management Corporation, the for-profit arm of the LDS Church and Bonneville's parent company, and abandoned the station's longtime focus on hard news in favor of 'values-based' reporting."
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KSL-TV

Posted by: WestBerkeleyFlats ( )
Date: September 09, 2015 01:33PM

They don't own Cozi (which is owned by the NBC owned and operated stations) or This (which is owned by Tribune Broadcasting and MGM) but they air these networks on their digital subchannels.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: September 09, 2015 03:56PM

And Mark Willes was Hinckley's nephew!

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: August 21, 2015 12:28PM

Ratings aren't necessarily a big deal to them. KSL, like the Deseret News, is the LDS Church's less than veiled attempt at controlling the message in their own backyard.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: September 09, 2015 07:22PM

You can't control the message unless you control the market.

Posted by: Exmosis ( )
Date: August 21, 2015 02:51PM

LDS Inc. owns or is affiliated with lots of media and other businesses.

Here's a new part of their business/PR: Deseret Connect
Basically recruiting and paying freelancers to write articles and do freelance graphic and digital design for the Deseret News and church owned media

https://www.deseretconnect.com/

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 21, 2015 02:56PM

long ago KUTV and KSL switched networks.
KUTV used to be NBC.

LD$ Inc. thought CBS to be too "liberal.

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: August 21, 2015 03:06PM

No no no......that's not the case.

CBS BOUGHT KUTV, and turned channel 2 into an O&O, remember?
KSL had no other choice.

But I see that now KUTV is no longer an O&O, and that Sinclair, it's new owners, don't have any network-singularity agreement like Scripps and a few other group owners. So, could Bonneville and Sinclair do an agreement to return to the way it was, or is KSL happy with NBC?

FWIW, there's a station in Green Bay, Wisconsin that already was affiliated with ABC and NBC before CBS bought them, but have since sold it.

Reading the Sharyl Attkisson story I doubt KSL would be enamored with the Tiffany Network.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: September 09, 2015 06:09PM

agnesbroomhead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No no no......that's not the case.
>
> CBS BOUGHT KUTV, and turned channel 2 into an O&O,
> remember?
> KSL had no other choice.

Did gosh darn un cooperative CBS come into Zion Utah and buy up KUTV and that forced KSL into abandoning CBS and going with what ever else they could manage to scrape up..... which just happened to be NBC.

Yah..... Yah...... that must be what happened. ........I bet that did happen.

That gosh darn CBS is a real loose cannon ........and a big time trouble maker, who is out to stir things up, just for the sake of creating news. I heard they started the Viet Nam war , just so they would have something to report on ..........

.........That dang CBS, you just can not trust them !!!

CBS is the same nasty outfit that hounded and hounded and hounded and hounded good old Pres. Hinckley for an interview. They just would not let up on poor old Pres. Hinckley ..........because everybody loves Pres. Hinckley ......... and nobody can get enough of lovable old Pres Hinckley........ and what lovable Pres Hinckley has to say .......so CBS was after Pres Hinckley night and day, until Pres Hinckley was compelled to give CBS an interview. Then after good old Pres Hinckley was nice enough to give CBS an interview, what did nasty old CBS do?
-They stabbed THE church in the back by asking question about Brigham Young and LDS Racism !!! It was a difficult situation for Pres. Hinckley to be thrust into, but Hinckley stepped up and handled the pressure, just the way that good MORmON members are expected to in those situations.

CBS is always spinning things and twisting them. It would be just like stink pot CBS to roll into town, buy up an NBC station and start broadcasting CBS from it when there was already an established CBS station in town. CBS would do that .........just to make THE church look bad.

Then KSL and THE church had to roll with NBC .........and deal with all of that nasty troublesome disgusting worldly 2002 Winter Olympic coverage for the 2002 Winter Olympics which THE church had absolutely NO interest in "whatever" - a word that Pres Hinckley likes to say, especially when he talks about polygamy, that THE church has nothing to do with, ..... its a word that people love to hear Pres Hinckley say!!!!

Having to deal with NBC and all of their Olympic baggage was a raw deal for KSL, but KSL stepped up to the plate, shouldered the burden, and dealt with the situation, because that's just how gosh darn *wonderful* that KSL and members of THE church really are. I mean, its not like KSL could just refuse to broadcast the Olympics, the same way they did with Saturday Night Live. ....... I heard that CBS actually produces Saturday Night Live and then forces NBC to broadcast it. ..... That CBS really knows how to throw its weight around.

That CBS is a bull in a china shop ...... and a bully, and KSL and LD$ Inc merely did what it had to do !!!!!!! Even if it meant getting into the broadcast bed with the Olympics ...... which THE church cared nothing about.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: August 21, 2015 05:09PM

Just another way the CULT controls Utah.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 09, 2015 03:51PM

I've always known KSL was cult property...even before I knew the church was a cult.

RB

Posted by: frackenmess ( )
Date: September 09, 2015 05:07PM

Bonneville International - one shady a$$ company.

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: September 09, 2015 07:32PM

The Morg runs three TV stations in the SLC/Provo/Ogden market.

-KSL (ch. 5), the NBC affiliate that routinely censors network programming (i.e. they refused to run SNL for years after they became a Peacock outlet). Currently involved in a stalemate with DirecTV over money.

-KBYU (ch. 11), a part-time PBS station (people who actually enjoy PBS programming here watch KUED instead, which is owned by the University of Utah). Usually simulcasts General Conference along with KSL-TV, and its digital sub-channels include BYU TV & BYU International.

-KJZZ (ch. 14), a station that isn't owned by the Morg (regulations prohibit them from owning three stations in a single market), but is owned by the estate of Larry H. Miller. The estate can no longer afford the station costs, so it's being run by Bonneville International. Used to be the terrestrial outlet for Utah Jazz games until that package was sold to Root Sports Utah.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2015 07:32PM by Rusty Shackleford.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.