Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 21, 2022 02:37AM

“Mormon No More,” an ABC News Studios docu-series, follows two married Mormon moms who fall in love and leave the faith.

"The series, streaming Friday, June 24 on Hulu, explores how the couple navigates telling their husbands, families, and the church, and what it’s like to co-parent their combined seven children with their ex-husbands.

"Their journey includes other Mormon and ex-Mormon LGBTQ+ allies who wrestle with the church’s prohibitive doctrine on same-sex relationships."

More can be learned at https://www.reddit.com/r/MormonNoMore/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 21, 2022 03:54AM

The problem with being on the wrong side of history almost all the time, is that you keep getting held up as a bad example. They have yet to fully disavow polygamy, or their racist theology, and they have barely begun to back away from homophobia, and all those issues keep coming back to bite them.

Sucks to be them.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: June 21, 2022 04:40AM

Oh you are SO wrong. Don't you understand that they are persecuted? Always?

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: June 24, 2022 01:24PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The problem with being on the wrong side of
> history almost all the time, is that you keep
> getting held up as a bad example. They have yet to
> fully disavow polygamy, or their racist theology,
> and they have barely begun to back away from
> homophobia, and all those issues keep coming back
> to bite them.
>
> Sucks to be them.

They painted themselves into a corner.
They can’t ‘disavow the theology’ of racism, polygamy or misogyny when it’s canonized in ‘the Word of God’.
They can’t edit out the white supremacy without undermining the foundation the entire structure is based upon.
Remove the white supremacy, misogyny and the entire house of cards comes crashing down.
It’s a fundamentally abusive ideology that dehumanizes ‘others’ to feed the egoes of self identified ‘Saints’

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: June 21, 2022 11:28AM

I have issues still with the whole idea of gays marrying straights. I don't remember all the letters. LGBTQ+

My first reaction is what about the husbands? Sure, I get along with my ex and even live in the same dwelling and he is retired now so around a lot. Sometimes it irritates me as he is still not doing much for his son. I have to tell him to do it as I do enough and always have. But that is my job, right? I always take care of everyone.

Anyway--no matter what, I can't have a lot of empathy for them. I'll have to see the show. Have to watch it for my birthday. ha ha ha ha Not. (the 24th is not my birthday)

This is very traumatic to go through. You never completely win. I will die with scars. I decided recently that forgiveness isn't what they tell you it is. I will never get over what happened to my life. I will always carry some of it with me. He isn't completely off the hook for what he did to us. Just forgive him and all will be well???? He can still not be a good enough father. He is very self-centered. My daughter says she has forgiven him, but she just hit a wall. She has always been someone who just pushes through everything and when she calls me from Alaska and tells me she is quitting her long-time job that she earns really well for as she needs a break. Then it hit her. All the different traumas she has been through. She stayed up there and took a different job that is less stress and she can do her other job next year, but it blew my mind when my daughter told me that.

This has been a year or 3 months. I've talked about my son and being in the hospital for meningitis, being life flighted. Thankfully, he is on Medicaid. You can't imagine what life flight costs.

Anyway--we all bear the scars of what he did. What they did. I hate the idea of leaving my kids behind with the burden they carry.

So these stories are tough on me. Thankfully, I know a few gays who didn't get married to women. Two of them are my closest friends.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 21, 2022 12:51PM

I wouldn't watch it. If you do please return and report as what you have said often gets lost in the dust with tall the focus on the "poor poor gay people" and none on the damage that is relegated to being collateral when it should be the focus.

The Mormons--still screwing up lives as fast as they can. What your post illustrates is it isn't really fixable. The best you can do is manage what has happened. And EFF forgiveness. Right in the you know what!

Date: June 21, 2022 12:55PM

Well that was enough misspellings to last me a while.

My point is, the straight people who marry the gays have it worse in many ways.

Watching Josh Weed's wife pretend she was happy was unbearable for me.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 21, 2022 01:54PM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My point is, the straight people who marry the
> gays have it worse in many ways.

That's one of the things I love about you: your empathy for the secondary victims as well as the primary ones.

But that's the point, isn't it? You can't discriminate against gay people without harming straight people. You can't treat women as second-class citizens without damaging their relationships with their husbands, gay or straight, or without harming the couples' children, girls or boys.

The spouses of gay people, the children born to depressed and mothers, the boys whose expectations of future romantic partners are fundamentally distorted: you can't treat one category of human beings as lesser without hurting those groups whom you seem to be recognizing as better.

Date: June 21, 2022 02:05PM

Beautifully stated.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: June 24, 2022 04:50AM

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: June 24, 2022 11:31AM

I can say "in reality" it was THEM who did this. I have a lot more respect for you as you chose not to marry a woman, though I do love my "husband" and we get along great most of the time. I couldn't handle what is going on with our son right now without him living here. He is doing what I asked him to do after I wrote that the other day.

All of us are scarred. I was taught they have all the answers, but when I went to them, they had the wrong answers. They just couldn't say they didn't know. Just don't marry someone gay. It wasn't their dad being gay that has been traumatic, it was the abandonment. He abandoned them, too. He had been a really good father up to that point. When I told my daughter he was leaving (age 10), she said, "Dad would never leave us." He was with them all the time. And then he wasn't. This is the thing that is the most difficult for me. My kids. It is naive to say that the kids aren't effected by this or "they'll be okay."

Our friends' daughter married a man whose ex-wife is a lesbian. She abandoned her kids and moved back East. When her ex husband remarried, she moved back here and now is causing problems and wants half custody after running off for 3 or 4 years. I warned our friends that this is going to be DIFFICULT for their daughter and her husband. I won't go into what the mother of the kids has been doing.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: June 21, 2022 11:50PM

I don't believe in god, but if I did, I would think that forgiveness was up to her.

As for me, I find peace in acceptance. It happened. It's a lot harder to be all Zen when the crud is still happening to some degree or another, but for the most part...

I can't recommend Byron Katie's Loving What Is enough.

Posted by: •mormonomore• ( )
Date: June 24, 2022 04:32AM

That sounds good (to watch/ consider watching)...

Funny Thing, I went by mormonomore here on RFM a few years back. My email is mormonomoreatgreatmaledotcomnotallspelledout but I forgot my password years ago. I'm a mormonomore!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.