Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: August 23, 2015 05:12PM

I just watched this movie again, and was struck again about how it is so much like Mormonism.

Its main character (Truman) has spent his entire life on a giant TV stage, surrounded by actors. But he thinks they are really his friends, neighbors and family. His entire life has been broadcast - the show is watched all over the world - since the moment he was born. The stage is an artificial world, complete with town, forest, sea, and artificial weather. Truman begins to notice that things are phoney, but anyone who tries to clue him in is quickly spirited away as "mentally ill." The producer doesn't want him to find out, because then there would be no show.

Finally Truman risks his life and by accident finds a secret exit. As he is about to walk out, the Producer speaks to him, like out of the heavens, and says (I'm paraphrasing): "Don't go, Truman. The world out there is just as full of deception as your world here. But here, you're safe! You don't have to worry about anything. This is the only world you know. You will be lost out there!"

But Truman leaves.

Sound familiar?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: August 23, 2015 05:18PM

I wasn't BIC but TSCC tried telling me that it was more caring of me than my own non-LDS father. I actually believed this and prayed endlessly for my father to convert. Then, when I caught GB HInkley lying it dawned on me that my father had never lied to me. With all his faults my dad was a better support system than a lying, phony corporation. He also gave me money rather than taking, taking, taking. Boy, did I feel like a dope for believing the lies.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 23, 2015 05:20PM

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2015 05:27PM by steve benson.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 23, 2015 05:57PM

The thing about the statement, you're paraphrasing of it, is that it may very well true:

> "Don't go, Truman. The world out there is
> just as full of deception as your world here.
> But here, you're safe! You don't have to worry
> about anything. This is the only world you know.
> You will be lost out there!"

But of course no producer, i.e., prophet, would admit that there was any deception.

But they could use the argument, "Suppose it is a deception? The world out there is just as full of deception as your world here might be. But at least here, you're safe! You don't have to worry about anything. This is the only world you know. You will be lost out there!"

Some, with the pressure of family and/or business, could fall sway to this devious line of reasoning.

Posted by: justarelative ( )
Date: August 23, 2015 05:59PM

Could? Or have?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 23, 2015 10:50PM

JAR, I honestly don't know. I've heard of bishops, SPs and such telling people to 'fake it til you make it' and that smacks of it.

In my mind, 'apologia' just doesn't cut it when people have doubts based on things they've learned, unless the doubters can be frightened into giving up the search. Loss of family can be a very substantive threat.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: August 23, 2015 06:02PM

Watched it two nights ago with my 10 year old. Great movie. The most poignant exchange for me:

Mike Michaelson: Christof, let me ask you, why do you think that Truman has never come close to discovering the true nature of his world until now?
Christof: We accept the reality of the world with which we're presented. It's as simple as that.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: August 23, 2015 06:06PM

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: August 23, 2015 07:40PM

I didn't see it as a first choice but because my movie of choice was sold out plus I'd never much cared for Carrey.

The flick had me stunned as I walked out.

Glad I did because JC went on to make the etrnal sunshine of a spottless mind, another stunner for me and my latter day life and times.

Good thread Richard.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.