Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: August 23, 2015 07:25PM

Do any of you read her writing? I discovered her today and her words caused me to think that if more LDS thought as she does, the Mormon church might be a more enlightened and welcoming place for all. She is intelligent and caused me to think and enjoy her point of view even if I don't agree with her belief in the Mormon church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: August 23, 2015 07:34PM

Not heard of her; but, peace be with you, Michaelc1945 (hug), not many places around here I can say that! The Boner.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 12:59AM

I've read her blog off and on for a couple of years. Eventually you get annoyed at her for being so intelligent, and continuing to practice the faith.

Posted by: sophia ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 10:56AM

She did a Mormon stories interview not long ago. Those interested in her should listen.

Date: August 24, 2015 12:56PM

I'm riding with the Boner on the "why is she sticking with it" train. She is very smart and I was thinking that she must be deeply invested familywise in the LDS church. She comes from a multigenerational Maori Mormon family. The Mormon church was known as the Maori church in New Zealand. I brought her up because I feel for her and am sad that she is remaining in the church.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 11:25AM

The top post on her blog starts off:
"Religion at its best should be biblically responsible..."

Way to exclude the vast majority of the world that *doesn't* believe (for very good reasons) in "the bible," and assume that the bible is worth being responsible to...

Yeah, I read a couple of articles. Pass.
Here's an otherwise smart woman trying desperately to keep the "faith" despite her acknowledgment that her "faith" is rooted in an organization that lies, covers up, does harm, and is irrelevant.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 11:27AM

How can an intelligent woman believe in something so bigoted and sexist? Does she really think she can "change it from within" or does she just find crumbs particularly tasty?

Posted by: sungirl ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 03:01PM

Gina Colvin!!! I went through a phase of reading her. She does criticize the church for sexism, racism, and homophobia, which needs to be said, and that got me hooked for a while. She lost me with her habit of stereotyping Americans, in particular people from Utah, who are a bunch of cackling evil cartoon characters, don'tcha know. *evil cackle* She often gave the impression that the problem isn't the sexism of the church, it's that it's Utah/US-based, and THAT'S why she doesn't like it. That sort of weird mixed message weakens her argument to no end. I have NO problem at all with criticism of individuals or politicians or whatever, but not lazy stereotyping and she crossed the line into actual bigotry a few too many times.

She might be dealing with being in a church that looks down its nose at her by identifying a group she can look down her nose at in turn. She wouldn't be the first woman in tscc to use this coping mechanism, but it's hypocritical as all get out for someone claiming to be a feminist. She's in a bad situation in the church as are millions of women. I get that. Much sympathy to her. But she's so easy to dismiss as a hypocrite, I can't see her being an effective voice for feminists who want to stay in the church who have a hard enough time as it is.

Date: August 24, 2015 06:12PM

With my limited exposure to her writing I did recognize this bias of hers towards the US Mormons but I discounted much of this to cultural differences. She is of Maori stock and these people were about all that early missionaries were able to convert and baptize. They brought the Maoris in and then treated them as second class members. I think there is some Maori resentment from the treatment they have received by the church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.