Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: danr ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 09:25AM

I'm sure there are a ton of bishops and a few SP's that have an account on Ashley Madison. But how soon until a GA is outed?

I can't see one of the big 15 being that stupid, but it's only a matter of time before an upper level GA is found on the email list.

So how soon will it be? My money is that it will come out in the next two weeks. It may take someone time to sift through all the information, but I bet a few leaders are a little nervous.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: unbelievable ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 09:32AM

If so, he used a fake name just like being a fake GA.

Posted by: whywait ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 09:37AM

Please post the details of your proposed wager. I might be interested.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 09:49AM

They're not that stupid higher up.

And if they were dumb enough to join a cheating website, they'd be smart enough to use a fake name.

But it's very unlikely given that the higher up the ladder these guys are seriously delusional into believing the LDS doctrine. Most of them sincerely believe, which is why they've gotten as far as they have in the church hierarchy, however misguided their sincerely held beliefs are.

It would be more likely some of their adult children would be caught with their hands in the cookie jar. Wayward children are much more likely than wayward apostles.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 02:18PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2015 03:46PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 03:50PM

Brother and Sister Thusandsuch, we need you to take this pile of ward lists and start seeing what you can match up.

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 09:54AM

Almost all users had a fake name. The billing part shows actual home addresses and that is where people are being outed. It takes time to find the real people, but it will all be out there eventually.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 10:42AM

They don't need AshleyMadison. They have something better.

"Sister Brown, the Lord has revealed unto me that you are to be my extra special, secret, um, I mean sacred, spiritual companion..."

Posted by: jj ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 01:40PM

already in 3 Northern Va counties, one Stake Clerk, 1 recently former High Councilor, 1 former Stake President.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 02:15PM

WOW! ...And this is only in Northern VA - an area with fewer mormons. I'm sure the fallout will be much bigger in Utah.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 02:21PM

What is the source of this fascinating information?

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 02:05PM

The LDS leadership already troll Facebook, Instagram and several other social media outlets to dig up dirt on their members. That information available from the breached Ashley Madison site is a gold mine of information to them. I am sure some leaders will be exposed but a mass witch hunt is probably already initiated. LDS leaders feel their entitled to any information, no matter the source..

Date: August 24, 2015 02:10PM

Just to make sure I understand your point of view:

If info from the Ashley Morgan breach is used against a high-ranking LDS official, that is a good thing.

If info from the Ashley Morgan break is used by a high-ranking LDS official against a run-of-mill member, that is a bad thing. And it is bad, at least in part, because of the source of the information.

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 02:28PM

Bad for anyone, even the "high-ranking leader". It's the big brother mindset that dirt on anyone is to be reported. I am saying its the " entitlement" they think they have to meddle in the private lives of their members/leaders that is so inappropriate. Also, not surprising though, from past behavior.

Date: August 24, 2015 02:31PM

Isn't anyone who has anything to do with the Ashley Madison breach displaying some level of entitlement to the information?

Posted by: Emmabiteback6 ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 02:46PM

Sure, on some level they were. Information is leaked all the time, but this one is more than threatened financial information. This is the dirt that can be held over the head of any member. That was my focus.

Posted by: Elnephi ( )
Date: August 25, 2015 07:11AM

There is certain to be important names of LDS members caring titles stake president, high counselors, bishops and I'm willing to bet many channel a bishops and I'm willing to bet many General authorities. Very very few men that have money and power do not have illicit sex also it's just a matter of fact. Ashley Madison was the perfect storm for those in Utah who felt they had to have it and could keep it quiet. I'm hoping that the list comes out soon I cannot hardly wait.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 02:20PM

How soon until a letter like this is read in priesthood meeting?

"... If any of you brethren have made mistakes, it would be better to go to your priesthood leaders and confess now, than for them to find out through other means and call you in..."

Who knows how many they'd catch by playing the guilt card, especially with the high-tech nature of the Ashley Madison affair with most of the subscribers not being sure of how well they've covered their tracks.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 02:27PM

"...in a limited time offer, ghawd has decreed that if you approach your bishop in all humility and confess that which you have done wrong, with a contrite heart and a broken spirit, promising never to do it again, ghawd will accept your confession and the sin will be forgotten!*"

*must be current in your tithes and offerings for this offer to be valid. Offer not valid in AK, CT, & VT. Missionaries must confess to their MPs. Offer expires 01/01/2016.

Posted by: unbelievable ( )
Date: August 25, 2015 06:52AM

Add triple your fast offerings and callings including cleaning the temple and ward building weekly for a year as a part of your repentance.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 02:49PM

Are we really looking to "out" people? Not interested.

Posted by: back stabbee (anon) ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 04:30PM

There was a group of LDS individuals who colluded to throw my family under a bus. 3 of whom were bishops or former bishops.

I'm thinking of searching the database to see if they are in it. I would to get some sort of revenge.

Date: August 24, 2015 06:28PM

Yeah I get it. Just looking out for the board's "collective karma."

Posted by: Anon Dunn ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 10:56PM

Right, we must make sure that we don't become blinded by revenge. But since mormons already do this sort of thing, turnabout is fair play, as well as an application of karma.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: August 25, 2015 08:42AM

...in other words, two wrongs make everything right. Be careful about assuming you are an authorized agent of another's bad karma: you will get sucked into the same buzz-saw that you push your brother into. What you do unto others, you do unto yourself. (Or I like to reflect, "Would I wish this same fate on those I love the most?" for this 'karma directing' is like a shotgun blast that ricochets indiscriminately.)

I'm reminded of many Thai Buddhist men, according to an anthropologist friend who did research there. They abuse child prostitutes while rationalizing that "it's their karma" to suffer such abuse because of past misdeeds. What stops them from seeing that their own blindness in this is leading them into the same karma?

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 02:57PM

I agree that it is in the nature of mormons to use any information from whatever source to find the dirt on each other. There would be no reason for them not to do so. Thier sense of morality is higher than ethics. The fallout from this should have a strong impact on the health of the morg as Utah has a lot of subscribers to this service.

I wonder if this will be addressed in General Conference? Perhaps the morg's tactic would be to avoid the issue full-stop.

Posted by: TDM ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 03:33PM

The church's tactic 99% of the time is to avoid and ignore everything controversial unless it's pretty much impossible (or detrimental) not to.

So I don't expect to hear anything here.

I bet many mormons are curious and searching it though. They can all easily access the addresses of anybody in their ward and stake. Bishops of course would probably look, but even normal mormons will, they love gossiping and secretly knowing stuff about other people.

They already do this in all the presidency meetings, if someone is found out to have an affair, they might tell the Bishop, then he'll discuss it with his counsellors, then one of them might discuss it with his wife, who'll then mention it to her visiting teachers, who'll tell the Relief Society president, and you get the picture. This sort of thing happens all the time in mormon culture, so clearly they enjoy doing it, and will be loving this mass leak...

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 03:29PM

As soon as somebody goes though all 30 million names!??

Date: August 24, 2015 03:31PM

Is there a website to search names? I saw one to search emails.

Posted by: sonofabish ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 04:02PM

No, the only one that had this feature was removed because of a gag order put out by AM.

Posted by: Detective ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 04:43PM

Many of the names and details on the accounts are fictional but the majority are the real identity. Anyone who thinks otherwise should locate the dump or a search site and do their own homework. Orem alone had somewhere around 6000 registered users (maybe more - I foregt) and looking through them, you'll see verified emails that people used from their employers or government computers. People have no clue that they were doing this in public.

I won't teach you how to be an amateur detective but it's not that difficult. Their email addresses are there and ... well, you figure it out.

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 04:51PM

Many LDS women insist on couple email (both are listed in the same email). They won't think to look up their husband's work email, or other emails.

Posted by: androidandy ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 08:14PM

Seattle 93,000 AM participants
Portland 61,000 AM participants.

Gotta be some cheating Mo's in those two cities!!

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 11:30PM

Divorce lawyers in SLC must be throwing parties. I wouldn't be surprised if they have any clerks/legal assistants with down time... who anonymously help move things along by notifying spouses...

If yesterday's injured party reads this, I hope you're getting by. Come back for support if you need some kind words. I'm sorry for your pain. You matter.

((Hugs for those in pain))

Posted by: TBM ( )
Date: August 25, 2015 07:10AM

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 25, 2015 10:09AM

The thing is, I suspect there are tons of mormon men from Utah who registered on the site. Some probably looking for a gay fling. Many probably middle age or over with pot bellies, bald heads and penishood personalities. I doubt many of them were unfaithful. They can only wish. So will they be called to church discipline just for having their address and email on the site? If they disciplined every mormon who is sexually unfulfilled in their marriage and fantasizing of a fling, there would be no one left.

Posted by: leftfield ( )
Date: August 25, 2015 10:23AM

Wanna find the GAs?

Just scroll the name list looking for someone using a middle initial.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.