Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sonofabish ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 01:10PM

The only fans of BYU I know are TBM. I never cheered for them, I wish them injury and losses every season and glory in their losses. I was wondering if anyone stays a fan after going exmo?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 01:19PM

but BYU fans have seem to weave "the church being true" into rooting for the Lords University. A lot of Y fans seem to think that winning somehow proves the truthfulness of the church (when BYU finally got to play Notre Dame you'd think it was prophecy being fulfille).

Anyway, the fans became so annoying I lost interest in the team despite my BYU degree. I like it now when they lose because its fun to watch the zoobies testimonies take a hit.

Posted by: Leviticus ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 01:23PM

I'm a BYU fan. My buddy is as well. The last game we went to, we visited one of the few bars in Provo and snuck some vodka in a sprite bottle. Probably the only two dudes drunk at the game. Good times.

Posted by: whywait ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 01:27PM

I understand from my associates who went to rival schools that at least in the 1980s and 1990s it was common for visiting fans to see HOW drunk they could be at a BYU game.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 02:52PM

It was common for BYU students too,

Just sayin'

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 02:12PM

Aren't about half of the BYU players never-mos?

Yes, you have to be worthy and faithful and true-blue-mormon to attend the Lord's university...unless you can pass, catch, or run a football. Then come on over! :)

Posted by: AnonForProtection ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 02:24PM

Don't get me wrong, I hate BYU and everything it stands for. But even after moving far away from that state, I found myself still wanting to watch BYU games, rooting for them, hoping to see Cosmo the Cougar and especially loving the home games where I could see the stadium and the mountains.

But I was embarassed to say I was a BYU football fan. Finally I realized that the best times of some of the very worst times in my life were spent in the BYU stadium. I even wandered around the stadium during a game when I was in labor. There was something in me that still wanted to hang on to those good times. So I decided to quit being embarassed. I'm not Nazi about it, but I'm a Cougar Fan and enjoy their games.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 02:40PM

This comes up every so often.

Yes there are exmo byu sports fans. Its a thing. Certain types of sports fans don't easily change their allegiances. Tribal loyalty. Bandwagon fans don't get this but thats okay, "true" fans don't get them either. ;)

Couple of facebook sites: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1418591531741836/

or

https://www.facebook.com/groups/260016630683633/

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 02:46PM

BYU athletes have always reminded me of the worse participants in stake sports programs. Softball, basketball and maybe volleyball. Always the big mouths and the biggest poor sports.

For this reason I cannot stand BYU football or basketball. Nothing against the others sports teams or the university itself. BYU is a cheap school for TBM's to continue their indoctrination.

If that's what you're looking for–go there and send your kids there. Much cheaper tuition than our in state schools, but not ranked near our state schools for academics.

Posted by: theviking ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 03:44PM

Compared to which state?
Are you talking Utah? Are the U and USU academically better than BYU? I could see the U being better for medical research but not sure if they're academically better than BYU.

Or do I have this all wrong?

Posted by: theviking ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 03:51PM

I left the church after leaving Utah but I'm still a BYU fan. I'm that one random guy raging at bars on a Friday night who is actually paying attention to the BYU games. It's a great conversation starter. I'm even met an exmo with the BYU logo attached to his arm. Now that's brand loyalty.

I've been to my fair share of sporting events after I started drinking and now it's weird from r me to think about not get thing drunk at the games... I'm gonna be in Provo this fall and I'm already trying to figure out how I can smuggle booze into the BYU game and get wasted... Does anyone knows w what they do to drunk fans? Do they get kicked out or could they get arrested for lude behavior or something?

Posted by: bender ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 02:50PM

I'm still a cougar fan. I can't help it. Even after I left the morg it hurts to see BYU lose. The funny thing is, is I have two TBM brother in laws, who went to the U. And they absolutely hate BYU. So in our family, during the holy war, the exmo is rooting for BYU and the TBM's are rooting for the Utes.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 03:11PM

I don't think there's much going on here, so I'll offer this up:

In high school, I was as rabid a fan as could be, but obviously that was a different social milieu, i.e., small high school, everyone pretty much knew everyone else and attending and cheering was a major part of our lives.

At the UofU I went to one game. There were so other competing social events and it was no big deal if you didn't attend the games and there was a huge student body.

At the Y, the only game I ever went to was while we were at the LTM. We were visa waiting and no one seemed to know what to do with us and there were no rules against it, so four of went.

Then around 1978 I went to a Rams game at Anaheim stadium. We didn't have great seats and I remember thinking how stupid it was to have cheerleaders. They had them split into four squads and each quarter they would over one spot, so wherever you were, the closest squad to ogle changed every quarter.

Then I was literally dragged to a "free" game, in Phoenix, to watch the Cardinals and another team. I sat there and read a book, and if there was a particularly loud roar, I'd look up at their jumbo-tron to see what I'd missed.

I get that personal involvement, yelling and screaming, being uplited by a win, or crushed by a loss, is exciting, which is why I enjoyed the high school games. There were, what?, 500 people, tops, in the stands... The Rams in Anaheim had about 65,000, BYU stadium seats 65,000... And then factor in the difference in comfort and convenience, and what you can see, when you sit at home in front of your big screen window unto the world, TV. They even give you close ups of the cheerleaders, so you don't have to sit there in the stands with your 20x spotting scope, leering at them.

Side note: when I was looking up the BYU stadium figure, there were stories about 2014 being the end of the growth in attendance. 2013 was heralded as "...another year which saw attendance rise!" Not so in 2014. With a 65,000 seat stadium, BYU's first game there, after opening with two road games, the attendance was 57,630. The next week that got up to 59,023. They peaked against Utah State, with practically a sell out, 64,090. This was their only foray out of the 50 thousands. Their low point was the last home game, 53,123.

Okay, here's my confession: I was in love with the L.A. Rams, the ones who played in the Coliseum, until 1979. My middle daughter is named after Roman Gabriel. I 'broke' a sofa in my then BYU girlfriend's apartment jumping up and down on it during a Rams game. I was miffed when they moved to Anaheim, but that was done by her husband. But when Georgia Frontiere's miserly ways alienated Eric Dickerson, and caused the general decline of the team, and then she moved the team to St. Louis, that was like a stake through my heart. I have no favorite team now, so I don't watch the game with any real passion.

I gave my heart to curling! I love me some Wayne and Kim Tuck!!!!!! They are so awesome!!

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 05:52PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Okay, here's my confession: I was in love with the L.A. Rams, the ones who played in the Coliseum, until 1979. My middle daughter is named after Roman Gabriel.

Roman Gabriel was a hero to all of us kids who were Rams fans in the late-1960's/early-1970's. The Roman Gabriel poster that hung on my bedroom wall as a kid now hangs in my sports den.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 03:15PM

Back when the stadium was expanded (around 1981), if you made a certain donation to the cause, you got to have reserved seats for life. My ex, being a BYU professor at the time, wanted 4 seats and we got them on the 50 yard line. As long as we bought season tickets every other year, those were our seats. Even after he left BYU, left the church, got divorced, lived with his gay partner, and hated all things LDS, he was a BYU fan. He would come up from CA to attend a game or two and he bought those tickets for years. Finally, he let his grown kids buy them and kept those seats.

I just found out from my daughter that BYU tried to get those old ticket holders to give up their seats and put in place kind of a tricky agreement with a very early deadline last year in order to keep claim on those "lifetime" seats. Ex was very ill by then and passed away soon after, but somehow the grown kids got everything signed and in place by the deadline to keep those seats in the family. They are all very die hard BYU fans.

Posted by: mankosuki ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 03:34PM

Have attended several BYU games around the country to root for the other team. Not much of a cougar fan. Even when I was TBM. The looks on BYU fans face when they learned I was Mormon and cheering against the cougars was worth the price of admission. A lot of nice stadiums around the country. Close relative visited Cougar stadium to watch her favorite team vs BYU. Said she never seen worse fans anywhere and would never go to L.A. Cougar Stadium again.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 03:43PM

I used to be a fan, but I don't pay much attention anymore. Wishing injury for any team is pretty classless though. I hope you don't really mean that.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 03:58PM

Only of Steve Young He was a great QB

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.