Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sonofabish ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 06:17PM

I was reading about sects of mormonism that broke off since its inception and came across this one

http://www.thechurchofjesuschrist.org/locations?view=map

It seems to me as far as mormonism goes, they seem to make the most sense and have been rather inclusive. I was wondering if anyone came from there or has attended their meetings? How close are they to the morg? Other than believing the BoM are they more or less any other christian based faith?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 06:26PM

Isn't that the name of the church that Joe organized?...then it was changed to "The Church of the Latter-Day Saints", then finally to TCoJCoLDS?

It looks like The Church of Jesus Christ doesn't have any locations within 50 miles of anywhere I've ever lived. Do they have any members?

Date: August 24, 2015 06:30PM

According to wiki, they have 19,000+ members world wide. Not huge by any means, but still a healthy dose of members. Here is the wiki that has a bit more information than their website

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_(Bickertonite)

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 09:29PM

On this page is a photo of some of the apostles of the Bickertonite branch:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quorum_of_Twelve_Apostles_%28Bickertonite%29

The surnames read more like a Mafia family than a Mormon sect. How the heck did so many Italians wind up in it?

If you scroll down through the list of apostles over time, you'll see some Italian surnames beginning in 1923.

Addendum: I found this on wikipedia.

"The church was incorporated in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in June 1865 with the legal name, "Church of Jesus Christ of Green Oak, Pennsylvania."[17]

"The church quickly produced a translation of the Book of Mormon in Italian, and a significant amount of the church's early growth during the 1870s took place among Italian American immigrants in Philadelphia. People of Italian heritage have remained a significant element of the church's membership since that time."

That just strikes me as funny.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2015 09:38PM by randyj.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 09:20PM

A few years ago, the Morg attempted to tell the media that they should use the full COJCOLDS the first time in a news story and then shorten the reference to The Church of Jesus Christ in subsequent references. The media refused to be manipulated and the terms Mormon Church and LDS Church are still in use. The Boner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2015 09:20PM by byuboner.

Posted by: Pyewacket ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 10:43PM

Yea/h!!

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 10:59PM

Isn't this the group that Alice Cooper came out of?

Date: August 25, 2015 04:52PM

It is, his father was the president at one point.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.