Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SilkRose ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 03:11PM

His vehicle was hit by an IED yesterday morning. He was in the driver seat, and it hit on his side. HIs gunner was killed on impact. DH suffered shrapnel wounds to the neck, chest, side, arm, shoulder and back. His left side is extremely swollen and they are unable to determine what else is wrong until the swelling goes down. He has no feeling in his left hand.

He has been air-evaced to Germany, and I will be following shortly after.

I am so emotional right now I don't even know what to do with myself. We lost one of our friends, and I am so sad. This kid was 19 years old...a baby. I feel guilty that I'm glad it was him instead of my DH. I feel MAD and ANGRY that we are in this shit to begin with. NOTHING is worth all of this.

Sorry, just needed to vent. I will probably be MIA for awhile, as I don't think I will have access nor time for posting for awhile.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: transplant in texas ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 03:14PM

OMG!! i am so sorry! hugs! i will be thinking of you...

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 03:14PM

Oh, no!

My prayers are with you.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 03:15PM

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 03:20PM

This affects us all. I am so sorry for what you two are now facing.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 03:23PM

Stay in touch as much as you can. And if there is anything I can do EMail me any time. ExMoLight@gmail.com

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 03:39PM

“I feel guilty that I'm glad it was him instead of my DH.” It is only human to feel that way.

“I feel MAD and ANGRY that we are in this shit to begin with.” NOTHING is worth all of this.” For sure!

May all go well with your husband's treatment and recovery.

Have a safe trip to Germany, SilkRose. We will look forward to hearing an update from you when the time comes.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 03:40PM

I wish I could do more than say I will be thinking of you both in your time of need.

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 03:51PM

And may you bring your husband home, whole and healed.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 03:58PM

Please keep us updated when you can.

((hugs)) to you and yours.

Briggy

Posted by: bob ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 04:01PM

My very best wishes to your dh and to you, silkrose. Hope to hear some good news when you return.

Posted by: george ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 04:04PM

Strong affirmations of concern to your DH. Travel safely.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 04:08PM

Best wishes from Canada too. Thinking of you and your husband and all those affected by the incident as well. In fact, we're always thinking best thoughts for all those over there. I hope you get to his bedside with all speed and find things manageable. I'm so sorry for the loss of your young friend. Absolutely tragic indeed. Take care of you.

Posted by: luminouswatcher ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 04:14PM

Posted by: foolserrand2 ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 04:16PM

Posted by: BestBBQ ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 04:20PM

Just concentrate on getting yourself to Germany and being with your DH. We'll all be here when you get back.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 04:22PM

Bring him home safe, SR!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2010 05:18PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: tude ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 04:23PM

I am so sorry to hear that! I am very glad your husband survived and that you will soon be at his side! He will heal more quickly knowing you are there with him. My thoughts are with you guys as well as with the family of the young man who was killed. I hope your DH gets well soon! I thank him and all the military out there for their service! They are true heroes. Give us an update on his situation when you get a chance!

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 04:29PM

My son was 40% disabled in Afghanistan. He developed good relationships with the doctors. He made sure he received every benefit possible for himself. Fortunately, is he is more outspoken than me and insisted on getting the care. If your husband is not getting the best care possible, ask to see a higher authority to get what is needed. Be polite and firm. The Army medical staff seemed to respond well to respectful requests.

Your situation sounds far more serious. We are thinking of you.

Posted by: enojado ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 04:32PM

My thoughts are with you and your husband. I hope everything turns out well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2010 05:19PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 04:33PM

Virtual hug sent your way, along with positive vibes. I am SO SORRY to hear about this.

Is there anything he could use?

Posted by: dawn ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 04:34PM

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 04:55PM

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 05:02PM

It is absolutely essential to take care of yourself for your baby's sake right now. Even through the stress, the worry, and the international travel you MUST still eat right, rest, keep up your pre-natal care etc.

Stress can greatly impact your pregnancy. You are a smart woman and I'm sure you already know all of this. Just remember to take care of your baby and yourself, as well as your DH.

I'm so sorry. My best thoughts are headed your way. Good luck with everything - I hope your husband will fully recover

War is hell.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 05:06PM

People that never have been in harm's way have no idea what our service people go through. I have had RPGs aimed at Kandahar Airbase last year, I was on, but fortunately none of them landed near me. They did kill someone some months before. Ditto for IEDs, I often went into Kabul on the road in soft skinned and commercial patterned vehicles where one was detonated and killed one of Canada's finest, Cpl Jamie Murphy, a member of the Royal Canadian Regiment. Please do not get wrapped up in why the 19 year old, there is no answer available on this earth at least. Talk to someone about your feelings-not sure about the USA if you are but here in Canada there are a lot of resources available for people who are going through exactly what you are experiencing right now. Wishing you ALL a speedy recovery!

Date: September 19, 2010 05:12PM

As an aside, I was operated on at Landstuhl Regional Medical Centre at Ramstein AB in 1999 for an injury I received in Croatia and I can honestly say you husband is getting/will be getting upon evac, the best treatment in the world . Our Canadian injured are also evac'd there from Afghanistan; that we have access to this facility is a true demonstration of the close relationship our two countries have. I am truly grateful for the first rate care I received there thanks to the US Army doctor who operated on me, and the USAF who med evac'd me there from Zagreb. Can you go see him? My poor (at the time 70 year old) Mother nearly was on the next Air Canada flight to Frankfurt until I told her she did not need to come!

Posted by: SisterSue ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 05:26PM

My heart goes out to you. I hope everything goes as well as possible. My son is currently in the Marines (infantry). He is not deployed right now, but it is a big worry for me. Best of luck and I'm thinking of you.

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 05:28PM

Can't quote it exactly but "Wars are planned in back rooms by old men but I notice it's always the young that die."

So sorry to hear of the loss of your friend and the wounding of your husband. The care he will be getting in Germany is top notch.

Remember to take care of you too.

Keeping you in my thoughts.

Date: September 19, 2010 05:36PM

Helen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The care he will be
> getting in Germany is top notch.

My personal experience too-see my post earlier.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 05:33PM

Holy cow. We'll all be holding our breath and waiting for an update.

And thank him for his service from all of us.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 05:39PM

We will all be thinking of you and your family. God speed,,best to you. Keep us posted,,,

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 05:41PM

We will keep you in our thoughts and hope everything will go well as you are both travelling. Please let us know how things are as soon as possible.

Posted by: fancypants ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 05:49PM

I'll be thinking of you and hoping for a speedy recovery.

Posted by: wings ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 05:54PM

Oh Silkie, so sorry to hear this shocking news. I won't make light of this...it sucks. I am so sorry you both lost a young friend, and you must be beside yourself, totally understandable on all levels. Know I will hold you and your DH, all of the families involved in my heart. Post when you can, sweetie. Take care of YOU!!! Love and hugs to you and yours.
wings

Posted by: johnny rotten ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 06:06PM

I'm glad your spouse survived... I'm so sorry he was hit. My thoughts and prayers (what prayers I have) go out to you and your husband.

Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 06:11PM

I am so sorry to hear that. This is bad. I know some on the board don't believe in prayer, however, I will add my prayers to any others.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 06:38PM

I'm so sorry, SilkRose. I pray it all turns out okay. And so sorry for the gunner's family's loss.

Posted by: Friend of a Mo ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 07:31PM

I'm so sorry to hear this SilkRose. Have a safe trip to your DH and try to take care of you and your baby also. Your family will be in my thoughts.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 07:32PM

We're all so sorry, SilkRose. We're all with you on this one.

Posted by: sfex ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 07:56PM

for you and your husband.

Posted by: Diapason ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 09:12PM

So sorry for the loss of your friend, for your husband's injury and for your stress. Safe travels and well wishes for your husband's speedy recovery. As others have said, take care of you. We are all here for you. Our positive thoughts go with you.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 09:23PM

So sorry about the loss of a friend. So thankful it wasn't your husband. Best wishes for a full recovery for him.

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 09:47PM

My prayers are with you. Your husband will be getting excellent care in Germany. Safe travels, and check in when you can.

Posted by: grandma ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 10:09PM

Army Lt, will be deploying to Afghanistan on her second tour in December. God bless all the folks there and their loved ones.

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 10:37PM

Given what you've described, his neurological signs and symptoms will most likely resolve as he heals (i.e. perhaps just minor cervical impingment). He'll be okay..hang in there. So sorry for your friend. God bless our troops.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 10:43PM

If there's anything tangible we can do for you, just let us know.

Posted by: silhouette ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 11:02PM

I am active duty USAF, and I am deeply sadden to hear this. I wish your husband a speedy recovery. The good news is that the facilities is Germany are some of the best in the world. You'll have to tell me if the Pedro's or the Jolly's picked him up (those are my guys).

Keep us posted, we my prayers are with you.

Posted by: TheexmoformerlyknownasBr.Vreeland ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 11:05PM

Sorry to hear that but he's going to get the best care available in Germany. My little brother is over there now and another just got back a few months ago. One of my cousins died over there. It's an ugly thing.

Posted by: mtnmdwcookiemonster ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 11:09PM

Posted by: samuellflyinghorse ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 03:20AM

d:o(

you'll be ok.

Germany took great care of our plt sgts & spc that got shot along the way in our deployment.

We moved to the TentCity, the GoingAwaySoon tents but platoon still goes out every day into Kirkuk.

thanks for being there for your husband, not many of us soldiers get to have such things.
lovz, Sam!!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 03:29AM

didn't click for me when I first read the subline so I didn't reply right away.

My warmest thoughts to you and your husband. I hope he's in Germany now, in good care, and starting to recuperate physically and emotionally.

I'll be thinking about you, and I appreciate your post. Nice of you to let us know what's happening.

Take care.

Posted by: Quinlansolo ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 08:50AM

I cannot find words easily to console you. I am very sorry.
I am also resentful to sacrifice any of our young generation there. Growing up in that part of the world my only thought was to run away as far as I could. I wish Him the best healing process. I hope He will recover soon.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 09:03AM

I'm very sorry to hear about your DH, and I hope a full recovery is in progress.

Posted by: Bill ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 10:31AM

May the warmth and support of this board help you through this difficult time. I send my hope for a speedy recovery.
Take special care of yourself and family.

Posted by: Jenny ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 10:14AM

Posted by: SD ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 10:28AM

of service men really understand the true price of freedom. I wish him a quick recovery and God's speed to those who were lost.

Posted by: Comfortably Numb ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 10:47AM

Thank your husband for his service and sacrifice for all of America and thank you for sharing him so that all of us can have our freedom here and for the difference our Armed Forces makes in the world in keeping back insanity and religious wackos from bringing the fight here.

I wish you the best and hope for a speedy and full recovery for your husband.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 11:52AM

Don't want to get started. You know how I feel.

Y'all take care.

Timothy

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 12:06PM

MY hopes are for his speedy and full recovery and for your support through out it all.

Posted by: Emma's Flaming Sword ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 12:06PM

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 12:12PM

Posted by: Rebecca ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 12:37PM

I wish there was more we could all do to help.

Posted by: Bignevermo ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 12:41PM

damn sad that the gunner lost his life!! :(..... will they send you over or do you have to wait for him to come stateside?? hope all goes well in his recovery! :)

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 01:04PM

I am so sorry to hear this. Good thoughts and prayers to Whomever for you and him that he recovers fully. Safe trip and stay strong, a lot of people's caring goes with you.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 02:31PM

do you have anymore news on your husband's condition.

Is he in need of anything?

ARE YOU IN NEED OF ANYTHING??

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 02:33PM

I think she is in transit right now. I do hope we hear from her soon.

Posted by: jOd3:360 ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 03:55PM

I am so very sorry to hear this.
I hope for you to find comfort, courage and strength, and healing for the both of you.

Posted by: Emanon ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 11:43PM

May you find peace and comfort during this incredibly difficult time.

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: September 21, 2010 12:49AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2010 12:49AM by anonyms.

Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: September 21, 2010 12:52PM

Posted by: anotherstatistic ( )
Date: September 21, 2010 03:09PM

From one military wife to another...my heart is with you!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.