Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 04:38PM

In the newly released Academic rankings of University's of the world, where does BYU rank out of 500 schools?

Number 301-400 (tied) 103-125 Nationally out of 146 schools.

U of U three way tie for 93

Utah State 401 - 500

http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2015.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 04:57PM

Actually their law school and Business school rank pretty high. You know TSCC really pushes law and business. Need those good spiritual people to help with "the work." You know, taking over Florida.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 05:04PM

Don't forget fighting off law suits for discrimination.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 05:10PM

The accounting program, which is within the business program, is #1. You need good accountants when you're shuffling billions back and forth between for-profit and not-for-profit arms and across multiple countries.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 05:39PM

Crazy huh!?

You would think that the university that is sponsored by the ONE AND ONLY TRUE CHRUCH OF GOD would be world renowned for its DIVINITY SCHOOL.

Law and Accounting. Jesus must have had a double major in these two disciplines. It just didn't make it in the record.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 05:55PM

Divinity School is not needed because the PH comes to all males and the only training you need is the guidance of the spirit.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 07:14PM

Hmmm... Then why the institute and religion classes at BYU? Why have religious studies at all?

Oh wait. You're being sarcastic.

Right?

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 10:49AM

They don't need no stinkin divinity school. They have PR people for that.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 05:39PM

How you gonna screw over all the little people in your MLM scam without some good accountants!

Posted by: petrouchka ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 07:38PM

I find it a bit disturbing to see the U is slipping downward.

Posted by: WestBerkeleyFlats ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 08:45PM

It should be noted that these rankings are primarily for research, which BYU does not emphasize.

Berkeley is #4 in the world, however. Go Bears!

Posted by: Zero ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 09:43PM

How did BYU's Dept. of Ancient America Archeology rank?

I assume it would be probably be pretty highly ranked considering the inside knowledge they have!

Posted by: masonfree ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 09:47PM

Must be great to have a Star Trek-style "universal translator" device available for use at the head office!

Posted by: theviking ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 11:03PM

Meh, it's shanghai ranking... how much can you trust that?

Just a quick look at USWeekly and they put BYU at #62 and the U at #129.

Like people stated earlier, BYU is good for business/accounting/law. They're also #2 for students who apply and end up going... right behind Harvard. I think BYU even surpassed them as #1 in 2015.

They have a bunch of other good rankings in other things.

http://www.deseretnews.com/top/3031/7/National-universities-where-the-most-accepted-students-enroll-2014-The-16-most-interesting-college.html

Posted by: WestBerkeleyFlats ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 08:21AM

It's a reasonable ranking of research institutions with results that are similar to other rankings of research institutions. BYU does not claim to emphasize research.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 07:44PM

I graduated from the BYU College of Business in 1966 with a BS in Business Management (Marketing). Over the years, have I noted that the business program is almost always ranked in the top twenty and often in the top ten regardless of the ranking organization.

We had some outstanding professors who came to BYU from top level managerial positions - one had been closely associated with Howard Hughes. I'm sure had they not considered it "a church calling", many would have never come to BYU.

We followed the Harvard "Case Study" method and used the same textbooks. Religion was almost never mentioned in our business classes as we were there to learn to think like business leaders and not preachers. If fact, one of our cases was on HMH Enterprises better known today as Playboy International (HMH are Hugh Hefner's initials). If one only attended College of Business courses, they would have never realized it was a religious institution.

Over all, I would rank my business education at BYU as very good. It has served me well through the years. The other classes not so much.

Follow-up:
I just checked and noted that Bloomberg has the BYU undergraduate business program ranked 13th in 2014 (12th the year before) out of their top 132. Top 10% - not bad for a podunk school in the middle of nowhere!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2015 07:54PM by Templar.

Posted by: theviking ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 09:19PM

They were ranked #5 when I was there in 2009. They handed out 5 leaf clover t shirts, take 5 candy bars, and pretty much anything else that had a 5 on it. It was a huge deal.

in 2010 they got ranked 13th. Nobody said a word.

Posted by: occasional lurker ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 10:25PM

Please don't take it personally if you attended BYU's business or law school. I don't think, other than wealthy and famous connections (which I'll grant you are more valuable then the actual degree), there's really much difference between Harvard's programs in these arenas and at least the top third of the nation's other business and law programs. On the contrary, I think you're more likely to find professors who are thoroughly familiar with actual court rooms and practice in a good state university law school: President Obama, for whom I voted, but who really is a lousy negotiator, is Exhibit A for this phenomenon.

That said, this subject really gripes me. BYU has a long history of inflating its image, by dubious means. For example, when I was an undergrad student there the Daily Unifarce published a headline stating that BYU's law school had taken second place in a national moot court competition; imagine how impressed I was to learn,upon reading the article, that this was - technically - true: BYU's moot court team came in second after Harvard's second string team in a field of two. Wow. If the business or law schools have ever ranked in the top ten, which they never have when I've checked (& I do, in nationally known and respected publications, almost every time I hear these absurd assertions), I want to know what publication or organization, other than BYU or one of its many closely associated and highly biased religious or "educational" affiliates, is stupid enough to have ranked it so, because I only ever hear it from Mormons or graduates of BYU.

Furthermore, trust me, in the real world the only thing BYU's law school is famous for is producing jerks like the one who tried to challenge the constitutionality of Miranda laws, after decades of settled law and effective practice, when police forces all over the country still wanted them; he failed btw. As for the business school, its known for producing extreme panty-waists or out-right crooks, probably more of the former, so I guess that's a plus, sort of.

Posted by: Inspired Stupidity ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 10:16AM

Like him/her, I apologize if this is offensive.

It does not surprise me that the acceptance rate of students offered positions is extremely high, yea even second unto Harvard. People who apply to BYU are Mormons who want the best possible Mormon education. There is no other option, so they accept the offers. People who don't care about Mormonism do not have such an overwhelming preference for a particular sort of school, so they'll select from a few offers.

More broadly, I work with a lot of top business leaders and attorneys. Very few of those have BYU business or law degrees. If you look at the websites for the great law firms--Davis Polk, Sullivan Cromwell, Cleary Gottlieb, etc--you won't see BYU law degrees. You occasionally see a BYU undergraduate degree followed by a grad degree at a more prestigious law school, but not a BYU J.D. The same is true of the great law schools themselves: BYU law degrees are extremely rare among professors at the top 10 or 20 law schools. So in that sense the education is not highly respected.

The business world is the same. There are many very successful Mormon businessmen, but if you look at their resumes, they did not do BYU MBAs. They may have done their undergraduate degrees at BYU, but they went elsewhere for their MBAs, graduate work in finance, etc. I think, a little less certainly, that the same is true of the great business schools. There are renowned business school professors who are LDS--Porter, Christensen, others--but do any of them have BYU MBAs? I don't think so.

There are fields in which BYU is solid. Engineering, accounting, things like that. But anything that requires radical, independent thought like history or economics or political science or theology, is crippled by the Mormon atmosphere. And the professional schools are hamstrung by Mormonism, an emphasis on Mormon extracurricular activities (church and church jobs), and the reduced number of potential students who want to go to a Mormon school. Also, there are serious contraints on the quality of the professors at BYU because once you have that name on your resume it is very difficult to move up in the academic world. I know one BYU law professor who joined the faculty when he was a TBM, lost his faith, and can't leave because no serious law school will consider him. Recognizing that BYU is a professional black hole, most great professors choose to teach elsewhere.

So I don't think BYU is a great university. The ranking systems are all suspect; they include things like student acceptance rate (high because Mormon students don't have high-end alternatives), student satisfaction rates (never speak ill of the church), and other things. BYU students are very sharp as well, since BYU has a huge captive audience of potential attendees who are only interested in Mormon universities. So BYU will come in high on a number of rankings. But most of the great Mormon professors, lawyers, and business people, felt it necessary to get a graduate degree (and possibly an undergraduate degree) elsewhere.

Again, I apologize if my opinions offend anyone.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.