Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 12:29AM

The Alabama Bessemer Stake is hosting Glenn Beck for a ticket only fireside - giving away 150 of the precious tickets to stake members. So we have TSCC sponsoring a political pundit whose job it is to be a decisive cable commentator - that Is how the money is made - being promoted by the church as person well fit to bring a Christlike spirit into an LDS house of worship.

To me this seems just wrong on so many levels. Perhaps not even kosher for a tax exempt church to use its facilities for.

https://www.picatic.com/event14386319387329556?code=bessemer

I think my head is just going to explode.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 12:38AM

How exciting! And they're 'simulcasting' for free to seven other ward and branch buildings where you don't have to have a ticket; just show up and be part of the special evening!!

I'm only saying this because of the joke potential, but this thread and a certain other thread ought to be combined. But I don't really mean what could be implied because I am a committed pacifist; there is never any excuse to take another human's life, with maybe 13 exceptions, but there are EXTREMELY narrow exceptions. ...hmmm... it could be 17 exceptions...

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 12:43AM

Doesn't this interfere with the morg's political neutrality!????

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 12:48AM

Maybe he's going to be "neutral" from the church's perspective?

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 01:04AM

As long as they only utilize the "Building" I see no problem with it. This happens many times in towns (especially in the South) where the only buildings large enough for some of these town meetings are the churches. Baptist churches and Methodists are used quite a bit during political runs.

As long as the pastor and/or church boards give equal access to all political parties (even green party, third party) It only becomes an issue if the politics are preached from the pulpits; which many churches, including LDS inc. had gotten quite close to which their preachings on Roe V. Wade, ERA, Same-sex Marriages, have gotten them onto dangerous grounds... Because if they would of told their people "You have to vote Conservative Tea Party" because they're anti-abortion, anti-ERA, anti-Gay, etc...

Posted by: Mujun ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 12:01PM

Looks like this isn't just about the facility.

Thus spake Mujun.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 01:15AM

Clive Bundy would probably sell more tickets.

I would think LDS Inc would encourage these events. Tithing payers paying another tithe payer, church taxed during every transaction.

I would expect Mormon celebs to be encouraged to use stake centers for these profitable events.

The crazy Osmond should be at the top of the list, along with Glen Beck.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 01:34AM

well, its all OK, because when Glenn speaks at this event he will be speaking as faith promoting celebrity member of THE ( MORmON) church, and NOT as a political pundit. Besides, the MORmON church does not do politics, just like it has no relationship "whatever" to FLDS polygamy groups, Gordon BS Hinckley said so.

And when I say " FUCK YOU !!! " to the MORmON church, I am speaking as a regular person and an RFM poster, and not as the official member of the MORmON church that I still am, WHEN it suits me.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 11:00AM

Alabama has been part of space program operations since the days of Sputnik...

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 05:26PM

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 02:01PM

Who would pay money to listen to or see Glen Beck?

The Emperor has no Clothes people.... the guy is a freaking

idiot. He's like the Donald Trump of mormon speakers.... he

spits out shit and gets attention from all the brain dead

mormons out there.

Posted by: Anon370H55V ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 02:15PM

saucie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who would pay money to listen to or see Glen Beck?
> The Emperor has no Clothes people.... the guy is a
> freaking
> idiot. He's like the Donald Trump of mormon
> speakers.... he
> spits out shit and gets attention from all the
> brain dead
> mormons out there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I do hope he has better hair.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 05:06PM

I don't think anyone is paying money, but since it looks like the event is actually invitation only, the invited guests have tickets to get in.

Posted by: unbelievable ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 04:31PM

Aren't there stadiums or hotel ballrooms or campus facilities that can accommodate large crowds in the South just like anywhere else? So I am not buying the excuses for using church buildings. It's called giving money under the table so it goes into the pocket of the ( ) fill in the blanks.

And the purpose of his speech is to say what, promote Donald Trump? Politics, on a Sunday, in a church building, doesn't that violate the 1st, 2nd and 3rd commandments?

I have NEVER been a fan of Beck and as a matter if fact, he shouldn't be called a journalist or commentor on Fox, because he is like Trump, its all just self-promotion. If they offered me a free ticket for a front row seat, I would turn it down. What a complete waste of time and talent.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 04:46PM

mewonders if there was some agreement/constraints/conditions on what he could/couldn't mention...

Does SL know about this? W T F!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 05:27PM

I 'wish' they'd try/do this in the PNW / western U.S.;
there would be an outright Revolt! at least among the long-timers; Only the IMW Mormons could stomach Beck.

Alabama ? why if it flys there....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.