Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: celeste ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 12:42PM

I think so. This morning as I perused my Facebook feed, I found myself getting angry at an evangelical friend who generates many attention-seeking posts. It's always about her - she's running a marathon for charity and posts about every day of her training. She is looking for a new job, so she posts daily about her progress, wanting others in a group to weigh in on her options. All while she knows I am unemployed and struggling. Expects me to remind her how selfless she is with the marathon, and to like all her selfies, but never checks in on me, and posts angry messages that she expects more of her friends to encourage her and donate to her marathon. Etc.

I found back in my LDS days that people from my ward were the same. All about them. They were the centers of their world and expected others to congratulate them continually. They attained all the trappings of TSCC that gave them the right to be called righteous - kids on missions, kids at BYU, hubby as a bishop, whatever. All while failing to notice others' plights. So not the "true religion" described in scripture. I have come to believe that the religion people are buying makes them so self focused that they move through he world in their own bubble. I had 45 likes yesterday for a picture of my dog (national dog day) but none when I posted about a monk in Nepal who started a school for unwanted kids.

Am I guilty of my own thesis and being too self focused? Or have any of you felt the same with respect to TSCC?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: questioner1950 ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 01:01PM

There are narcissists everywhere in the world. It could be a genetic predisposition. But I think certain environmental and social situations make that predisposition blossom. Mormonism and its notion of becoming gods certainly plays heavily on narcissistic personality types.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 01:08PM

I don't know about "create," but it certainly praises them, reinforcing the behavior...

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 02:01PM

Well, I *knew* you were talking about ME.

(3,2,1...oh, I get it...) :-)

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 02:01PM

Religion is an amplifier of mental illness.

Whether it's NPD, BPD, manic depressive disorder, OCD, schizophrenia, autism, etc.

Religion exacerbates the triggers, and symptoms, of the above. In almost all cases.

In my humble opinion, amen.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 04:18PM

Autism is not a mental disorder.

Date: August 27, 2015 05:06PM

I'll bet that many parents who struggle with the day to day challenges associated with having an autistic child would beg to differ, but hey, what do I know.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/hcp-dsm.html

And yes, lots of people with autism have learned to cope, and thrive, with their challenge. Those people I count among my heroes in life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpkN0JdXRpM

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 07:59PM

Posted by: Armand Tamzarian ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 02:50PM

I don't know that it creates them, but it sure as hell needs them. The sheeple also need them. It all works out.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 03:55PM

Or are narcissists just drawn to the church because it gives them a handy supply of people who will admire them if they play their part well?

It could be either way.

But telling a group of people that they are chosen and special, the 'one true church', that they hold the power of God, and they are headed for godhood certainly could possibly warp their perception of themselves and others.

Posted by: upThink ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 04:09PM

"But telling a group of people that they are chosen and special, the 'one true church', that they hold the power of God, and they are headed for godhood certainly could possibly warp their perception of themselves and others."

^^THIS^^

Brilliantly stated.

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 04:20PM

She may be histrionic. I do believe that cults allow narcissts to thrive, but she sounds histrionic to me.

My sister, a tbm, is just like that. She does stuff for the women's shelter, but she posts about it ALL THE TIME. Look how good I am.

Jesus said to do good things in secret, because if you get praised, you've got your reward, there is no further reward.

Posted by: finnan haddie ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 04:26PM

You do realise there are many people who have a religious faith but are not polluting your Facebook feed?

I only mean to suggest that your sample size is small, and may have a self-selection bias. You only hear the ones that shout.

Posted by: unbelievable ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 05:14PM

Yes, I do believe that religion, especially the morg creates a breeding space for that pathology to flourish. And the nasty narcissists, who were also historonic have been the hell raisers in wards stirring up contention and enjoying every bit of the juicy gossip. That's their daily fuel. They thrive on that.

Posted by: celeste ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 07:03PM

Finnan, yes and yes. That's why I am posing the question.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 07:58PM

No. But some narcissists are smart enough to gravitate to religion.

Posted by: Haunted Wasatch ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 04:06AM

Religion definitely enables narcissists.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 08:58AM

My therapist told me I am a narcissist, I think she was just hitting on me.

Posted by: hopefulhusband ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 10:15AM

Like other posters, I don't think religion creates narcissists....but I think it feeds them. I think you can find the same types of people gravitating to HOA boards and sometimes PTA leadership (from my personal experiences).

Since those two groups aren't as large as religious groups, they're not as visible.

As an aside, I don't facebook. I know I'm missing out on the valuable updates from close friends/families....but, I sure avoid a lot of the other crap. ;)

Best of luck to you finding a great career. And the monk who started the school....he might not have gotten the likes your post did about your dog....but I think he'll be rewarded many times over by the lives he reaches.

Date: August 28, 2015 10:24AM

Exactly.

What the heck is it with HOA people anyway?

Our HOA in Lehi is populated with evil soulless humans. (And we're only there once a month.)

Is it that itty bitty chunk of power? Power, I'm supposing, is like crack for a narcissist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2015 10:24AM by schlock.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 10:28AM

I think narcissists created religion. The adoration received by the leaders of religions parallels the adoration of their God. And they love them some adoration since down deep they don't adore themselves.

The followers need to adore, the leaders need to be adored. It all plays into the master/slave, user/usee, abuser/abused syndrome where it truly takes "two to tango."

The lover/loved, friender/friendee syndrome is so much more civilized. Still takes two to tango but you won't get blisters.

But celeste, since you call this Evangelical person a "friend" I am curious why. Doesn't sound like a friend. I would demote them to acquaintance and not worry about their little "show." Just appreciate that that is not you.

You aren't guilty of anything except having a healthy outlook I would say. We're all self focused. When you get right down to it, you are all you have. Good luck with the job hunt.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 02:23PM

I totally agree with you, Blueorchid.. now I don 't need to write

it all out, you said it for me.

Thank you,

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 10:34AM

In Mormonism, they are usually easy to spot. They feed off of everyone around them. Testimony mtg., gospel doctrine, RS crying... They believe god is involved in the minutia of their hour by hour life full of drama. Everything is a sign, a temptation, a trial, a service opportunity, a missionary moment, a blessing... =[

Some people are simply oblivious and selfish, then there are the true vampires who permeate Facebook constantly, post selfies constantly, expect praise and input... They have no clue how exhausting they are, and usually cycle through friends or have a new best friend frequently. They expect everyone else to drop what they're doing to participate, rescue them, sympathize, applaud...

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 12:23PM

I grew up in what was essentially a non-religious, non-LDS household (where the religion was tolerated; all my siblings were baptized, but I managed to avoid being dunked), and I've spent years in-and-out of therapy dealing with the issues of having narcissistic "jack mormon" parents and the subtle, multi-generational issues it creates. And of course the entire culture on Planet Utah and in Salt Lake is infected with it as well.

In the immortal words of Walt Kelly's "Pogo": "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

The larger issue is "toxic shame" per John Bradshaw and others; I can no better than point to the works of this 82-year old icon--and recovering alcholic as well as theologian--as an excellent starting point for those needing to make this journey.

http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Shame-Binds-Recovery-Classics/dp/0757303234

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q2tZa1gp8Q

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 12:40PM

If Mormonism was the one and only, wouldn't you think that sermons, lessons...would make narcissists, people that do things for praise, people that think they are superior to others....would be squirming in their pews??

Jesus didn't praise the Scribes and Pharisees for making up new "commandments" strutting their superiority around for everyone to see. These people were beyond hope. He went to the sinners.

Mormonism promotes a narcissistic culture. People with narcissistic tendencies become solidified narcissists.

Posted by: westerly62 ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 01:04PM

Christopher Hitchens on religous solipsism...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuO37yZQnT8

Posted by: fool ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 04:22PM

Religion creates known answers for future problems and so it negates some natural tendencies to feel empathy, humble curiosity about another's situation, and respect for the autonomy of others.

Religion didn't create narcissists but it negates some of our natural tendency to be focused on others.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 01:24AM

celeste Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had 45 likes yesterday for a picture of my dog (national dog day) but none when I posted about a monk in Nepal who started a school for unwanted kids.

People use Facebook for different purposes. If I had to break it down, I would say that for me it's (maybe) 60% keeping up with friends, 20% fun or inspirational (cat videos, memes etc.,) and 20% interesting articles, news, or social commentary. I only have so much time and energy for the news and social commentary aspect, so I pick and choose. I used to try to at least glance at most news articles that my friends have shared, but I can't do that anymore. There are just too many of them coming through my feed.

The articles I like best tend to be shared by a techie acquaintance of mine, because that's not my area. On the other hand, articles related to kids or teaching often burn me out, since that's my line of work. I can read a few of them here and there, but not everything.

In the end, my main purpose for FB is to keep up with friends. So I like to see photos of their trip, or their day at the beach, or yeah, their dogs. An excess of informative articles, not so much.

As for narcissism, I know it when I see it, but it's often blended in with other more interesting or positive qualities so that it can be difficult to completely dismiss a given individual. Your evangelical friend -- you might just want to unfollow her for a while. I know that it isn't always easy to make a decision regarding following/unfollowing, but it sounds like you aren't enjoying her posts.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 03:08PM

When people actually think they are getting God's ear for a favor when there is so much suffering in the world, I say that person might be a tad of a selfish narcissist.

I would be ashamed to be asking God for anything after watching 5 minutes of the news on TV. If someone believes in a God that operates like that, it's pretty funny that they think they are so special. It's disturbing that they are OK with a God that is so cruel to some by ignoring their pleas but just fine helping you.

I cringe when someone goes on about how "blessed" they are. It should be worrisome that God is not blessing everyone. But no. They think they are special, deserving of God's favors.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.