Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: unbelievable ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 03:15PM

I'm here at the 9-11 Memorial in NYC and feel overwhelming sadness still 14 years later. I was working in the WTC on 9-6, the Thursday before the attack. I remember the lobby security guards who cleared me to go upstairs. I purchased jewelry in the basement mall of the WTC a few months before 9-11. I have so many memories of this sacred place, and yet, there are no words to describe the evil that transpired here. I feel some comfort in seeing the new buildings and recovery efforts. The transformation of the area is still going on. Which causes me to wonder, how long will my transformation take to recover from 36 years of abuse in the morg? Those are years I can never get back.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 03:18PM

I don't know anyone killed or injured at the WTC, but the attack was still one of the saddest days of my life. Please consider me there with you.

I don't know how long it will take YOU to recover. We're all different. You might not ever fully recover. All you can do is go on from here. Rebuild. But don't forget.

Best.

Date: August 27, 2015 05:16PM

Thanks for your kind words.

Posted by: lue ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 03:29PM

I have been to the 9-11 memorial. The most sacred thing I have ever been to.

The survivor tree is wonderful as the church right there next to the financial district.

if you are ever in NYC and only have time to do one thing, go to the 9-11 memorial.

to the OP: one recovers as one does. everyone is different.

I feel I am 90% recovered from the morg.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2015 10:25PM by lue.

Posted by: John_norelation_Wayne ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 05:03PM

I was in NYC for a day but didn't make it down there. I was mostly in greenich and around central park.

It'd be a touching place, I'm sure. As it is in OKC at the site of the bombing there(i have been there).

Date: August 27, 2015 05:22PM

Yes,I remember the day the OK federal building was bombed. I was devastated.

Date: August 27, 2015 05:20PM

I agree, this is a sacred place all should visit if they can. Even dignitaries from abroad make the effort like Prince William and his wife Catherine. The Pope will be coming here in a few weeks. I don't recall the latest LDS profit to come here and pay his respect, do you?

Date: August 27, 2015 05:25PM

I'm delighted to hear of your progress in recovery.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 05:22PM

I've already decided that I won't ever visit that black wall that honors those who died in Vietnam. There are names on it who were "boys" that I grew up with.

"Boys" who died for a pointless war that shouldn't have happened.

Just seeing pictures of Ground Zero make me cry. That day was horrible, and I live 2/3 of the country away from NYC.

Date: August 27, 2015 05:24PM

My oldest brother served in Vietnam and all these decades later, he never talks about it.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Posted by: sportsguy ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 09:29PM

I was at a 9/11 conference this summer that was held in NYC. I thought the memorial and museum were very tastefully done.

Date: August 27, 2015 10:24PM

I only visited the pools and was very impressed with the way it was designed. To me I felt I was in a sacred place. I never had that feeling in a morg temple when I was a member, I went to the temple often. It's quite the contrast.

My father was murdered when I was 15 years old in 1975. So while I honor the work done at the museum, etc. I don't think I will see that because the pain is just too great.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 10:31PM

9-11 was a faith based initiative.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.