Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 04:55PM

As drought persists in California, oil behemoth Chevron has found an new way to dispose of its fracking wastewater: sell it to U.S. farmers in California. About 21 million gallons of wastewater is used on 45,000 acres of crops, which equates to roughly 10% of Kern County’s farmland in the Central Valley.

The program has been in effect for twenty years, due to persistent water shortages in the region. But with the current historic drought now into its fourth year, concerns over the practice of recycling this industrial wastewater are bubbling to the surface, notably because the fresh water that has historically been used to dilute the fracking wastewater is now in short supply — which may in turn increase the amount of petrochemical contaminants found in the water being used for agriculture.

Researchers are worried these toxic chemicals are then making their way into the food supply.

California doesn’t have statewide regulations for recycled wastewater used in agriculture. Instead, permits are issued to local water districts by nine regional water boards. Once a year, water districts are required to provide toxicity data to their water board, but certain components — like heavy metals, radioactive materials and chemicals used in fracking — are excluded due to cost. One water district has only tested for radioactive elements a few times over the last two decades. According to the Los Angeles Times:

“Until now, government authorities have only required limited testing of recycled irrigation water, checking for naturally occurring toxins such as salts and arsenic, using decades-old monitoring standards. They haven’t screened for the range of chemicals used in modern oil production.”

Tests conducted by Water Defense, an independent environmental group, discovered high levels of acetone and methylene chloride in Chevron wastewater intended for agricultural irrigation. The water also contained C20 and C34 — both are hydrocarbons found in oil. Methylene chloride and acetone are solvents used in industrial applications. The former is considered a potential carcinogen.

Scott Smith, the chief scientist for Water Defense, said one sample he took registered at nearly four times the amount of methylene chloride found in an oil-contaminated river during the 2013 ExxonMobil tar sands pipeline spill in Mayflower, Arkansas. That particular spill was deemed a federal disaster, which prompted evacuations and a $2.7-million fine for the company.

Farmers themselves admit that “everyone smells the petrochemicals in the irrigation water,” but believe organisms within the soil will take care of any impurities in the water.

Incredibly, officials don’t know if these toxins are transferred to the food we eat because no one has bothered to test the food being grown with the wastewater.

Carl K. Winter, who studies pesticides and naturally occurring toxins in food at UC Davis, said there are plants that absorb toxins without contaminating the edible parts. Although he adds, “it’s difficult to say anything for sure because we don’t know what chemicals are in the [fracking] water.“

As a letter to the editor of the Los Angeles Times stresses, the practice of using recycled fracking water for agriculture is simply bad business all the way around:

“Chemicals, many of which are known carcinogens, don’t just break down in nature in some type of utopian filter process. If that were the case, we’d have no Superfund sites.

Even if we knew the effects of a specific chemical on a crop, we still would not know the synergistic effects of that same chemical combined with one of the hundreds used as trade-secret ingredients in fracking. Nobody would want water laced with these substances anywhere near their food or their aquifer.

http://wakeup-world.com/2015/08/24/drought-stricken-california-turns-to-oil-industry-wastewater-for-crop-irrigation/#disqus_thread

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 05:05PM

...great, so I suppose the next genius idea these fools come up with will be to pump Salton Sea "water" back up San Joaquin Valley to irrigate with.

..."and it came to pass that there were too many "experts" in the land."

Date: August 27, 2015 05:12PM

And yet more bad news for the fresh water supply:

Mercury is contaminating the Grand Canyon's fish and wildlife

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wilderness-resources/blogs/mercury-contaminating-grand-canyons-fish-and-wildlife

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 05:13PM

I agree with you, Shummy.

I don't think most people realize just how MUCH of what they eat either comes directly from California (produce...dairy...meat), or is FED from California crops (dairy...meat).

Those chemicals can be inadvertently ingested by anyone in North America...as well as anyone in many other areas of the Earth.

This is a potentially catastrophic future situation (two or three generations down the line) in the making, depending on what chemicals and byproducts get into what food (either human food or animal food), and who eats it, and in what CUMULATIVE quantities (plants of all kinds...plus dairy...plus meat).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2015 05:14PM by tevai.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 05:18PM

This is a good reason to grow as much of your own food as possible. Lettuce is very easy to grow and tastes much better than what you get in the store. Same with carrots, onions beets, beans, radishes and many herbs.

I just harvested 20 acorn squash out of my 4x8 foot little garden. They spilled over the edge and grew downhill for a few feet. I also harvested 10 pumpkins 30 onions, 10 beets, and a big bucket of beans. I have baby lettuce in pots on my patio. I harvest it constantly, and replant portions about every 3 weeks. It's a bit like rotating your canned food. I plant herbs of all kinds in my flower beds. They look beautiful.

Time to plant Cilantro, garlic, more onions, beets, carrots, and lettuce.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 07:32AM

very cool...

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 08:55AM

You make a very good point. I never thought of growing my own food for this reason. I hate gardening as I was raised on a farm. We grew everything in our garden. And my dad grew corn to sell to the ward ladies to can, etc., just a small patch, cantaloupe, tomatoes, watermelon, etc., that we sold in front of our house.

I bought one solitary cherry tomato plant this year. I haven't planted anything in years. To eat fresh cherry tomatoes is like eating candy--better than candy. I've decided to plant more of a garden next year as much as I hate it.

Fresh really is the very best.

This using fracking water is a huge concern.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 05:20PM

If only there was something to feed the people who make these decisions that would kill their apparent unending appetite for more money...

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 05:37PM

Fricking frackers.

Date: August 27, 2015 06:11PM

I dunno hie, seems to me that we are all being swallowed by our own greed.

We were frightened by the specter of $4 gas so we looked the other way, acquiescing in the advent of Big North American oil. We believed em when they promised to overtake Big Middle East oil so screw the ragheads. We'll just frack em real good.

Not able to wait for iffy pipelines, our rail industry stepped up and pulled rusty old tankers out of their boneyards. Anything that would hold oil and still roll was pressed into duty. Due to rickety old rolling stock a'rolling over rickety old bridges, a plethora of unremitting fireworks now heralds our $2 dollar gasoline glee.

And we could go on about BNA as you know.

Just don't get me started on how we're all gettin fukushimed.

Other than that, the world's still turnin, my grass is green and our lives will be what we make of them if we just do our manful best.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 07:35AM

soil microorganisms will break down petrochemicals and arsenic etc.? How dumb are these so-called "farmers" in CA? The chem fertilizers destroy the soil microorganisms, it's dead as sand. There's no humus left, and those chems in the frack water are easily taken up by the food crops roots.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 08:50AM

This is horrible. Fracking has so many bad consequences, but greed and corruption in government let it continue, and future generations will pay the heavy price. In the area of central NJ where one of my sons lives they are trying to put in a dangerous pipeline to send natural gas from fracking in Western PA into NJ, across rural farmlands and protected natural areas. They lie and say this will lower natural gas prices for the area, but at the same time are building tranfer stations to liquify the gas and sell it overseas to any country that will pay. This is one pipeline affecting our area, Penn East Pipeline, but these things are proposed and being fought all over the USA To learn more and what you can do to help, go to www.thecostofthepipeline.com
This rape of the land will only stop if people are educated and fight back.

Date: August 29, 2015 11:00AM

The devastating drought has far reaching consequences.

>How the drought has affected San Francisco's devastating lack of public restrooms:

http://www.latimes.com/local/abcarian/la-me-0828-abcarian-sf-urine-20150828-column.html

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.