Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 07:31PM

I've read a number of theories that Joseph Smith's exaltation theology was influenced by the Jewish rabbi they hired to teach them Hebrew during the school of the prophets in Kirkland.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2015 07:31PM by Cold-Dodger.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 07:53PM

Cold-Dodger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've read a number of theories that Joseph Smith's
> exaltation theology was influenced by the Jewish
> rabbi they hired to teach them Hebrew during the
> school of the prophets in Kirkland.

I know virtually nothing about Kabbalah...though I've actually tried to learn a number of times, over maybe fifteen years. Each time, I almost immediately came to the conclusion that Kabbalah is bogus.

I think a good place to start (especially for people who don't have a previous foundation in Judaism, which is---of course---the assumed foundation of Kabbalah) would be [seriously!!! :D] the book "Kabbalah for Dummies," in the "for Dummies" series. This is where I would start, if I ever started again (though I doubt this would ever happen).

At the very least, the "for Dummies" book would give you a basic knowledge that you could then focus in on for your Joseph Smith/exaltation theory research.

You should know that study of Kabbalah has been historically (meaning: in times past) restricted to males, who are at least forty years old (which was a mature age in previous centuries), who are married, and who have children. For a very long time (until near the end of the twentieth century), Kabbalah students were restricted to those who fit all four of the above requirements (though my impression is that a male who fulfilled the other three requirements did not have to be a Jew, and non-Jews were at least sometimes accepted as students if they could find a rabbi or teacher who would accept them).

The reason for the three non-gendered requirements is grounding (which I spoke of in an earlier post on another thread today). Historically, Jews have been careful to keep people who are mystically-oriented from drifting off into la-lah land, and the study of Kaballah, although a "good" thing, has also been considered a potential danger if the person was not firmly grounded in the real, three-dimensional world. Hence the requirements for full chronological maturity...sexuality (sex a minimum of once a week; this is the "wife's right" that would be applied to Kabbalah students)...and a houseful of growing children and/or grandchildren. [EDITED TO ADD: I made a mistake on the minimum sex required. See my August 30, 2015 01:34 AM post below for the correct information. Sorry!!!]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2015 01:49AM by tevai.

Date: August 30, 2015 01:34AM

tevai Wrote:
> Hence the requirement...for sexuality (sex a
> minimum of once a week; this is the "wife's right"
> that would be applied to Kabbalah students)...

I should have looked this up before I wrote the above, because I got it completely backwards.

The relevant Jewish law is from the Mishnah...and the specific law which determines how much minimum sex is a woman's right (to the extent that, if she does not receive this minimum, she has the right to demand a divorce), is usually shortened to the Hebrew word "onah" (which can also mean some other, related, things which are not relevant here)...and the word "onah" (for this thread) means "time period."

The minimum sex due to wives, which is required of their husbands, depends on several factors: the husband's profession or job...the husband's health...the state of emotions between the two of them, and so on, but basically...here are the general rules as set forth in the Talmud:

1) for "men of independence" (would include not only most business owners, but also those who study as their life's work, plus rabbis, etc.): every day

2) for laborers: twice a week

3) for ass-drivers [and I am QUOTING here, so quit smirking!!! :) ]: once a week

4) for camel-drivers: once every thirty days

5) for sailors: once in six months

So theoretically, a male who was studying Kabbalah as a full-time "job," if he were an observant Jew, would be required to have sex with his wife every day (except for the period of her menstruation) if that is what she desired.

And this added bit of information was interesting to me:
The married spouses are not allowed to have sex "in the manner of the Persians, who perform their conjugal duty in their clothes." If the man insists on wearing clothes during sex, he is required to "divorce [his wife] and also [give her] her ketubah" [which means: the amount of money which was agreed upon in the wedding contract drawn up before they were married]...but presumably, this would happen only if she complains about him wearing clothes during sex.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2015 09:45AM by tevai.

Posted by: isthechurchtrue ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 09:06PM

My understanding of the Kabbalah is that it is Jewish Occultism and involves a lot of ritual magic. There are always going to be sub cultures and heretical teachings in any group of people. The Kabbalah is to Judaism as The Book of Mormon is to Christianity.

Date: August 29, 2015 09:20PM

isthechurchtrue Wrote:
> My understanding of the Kabbalah is that it is
> Jewish Occultism and involves a lot of ritual
> magic.

Yeah, sort of...and also: it would depend on the traditions of the teachers (and the specific CULTURES of the teachers).

> There are always going to be sub cultures
> and heretical teachings in any group of people.

Kabbalah is in no way "heretical"---it is firmly within the Jewish canon and Jewish tradition.

> The Kabbalah is to Judaism as The Book of Mormon
> is to Christianity.

This is not factual at all. There may not be many (percentage-wise) Jews studying or practicing Kabbalah, but the Kabbalistic tradition is an important one within Judaism as a whole...even if it's not "believed" by most Jews.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2015 01:43AM by tevai.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 09:27PM

Some links to Kabbalah sites and centers of learning: (Today it's geared for both male and female, and there's no age limits on when to begin learning about it.)

http://kabbalah.com/
http://www.jewfaq.org/kabbalah.htm
https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Judaism/kabbalah.html
http://www.kabbalah.info/engkab/what_is_kabbalah/what_is_kabbalah.htm#.VeJbAflVhBc
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/13/magazine/13kabbalah-t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2015 09:34PM by amyjo.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 10:27PM

Kinda OT, but don't you think a guy who translated Reformed Egyptian by the Gift and Power of God could do hebrew in his sleep, without the need for a rabbi?

Date: August 29, 2015 10:32PM

Chicken N. Backpacks Wrote:
> Kinda OT, but don't you think a guy who translated
> Reformed Egyptian by the Gift and Power of God
> could do hebrew in his sleep, without the need for
> a rabbi?

:D :D :D

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 10:48PM

kaballah is total bullshit.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 07:43PM

go I get to wear a piece of red yarn ?

Date: August 30, 2015 08:23PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> go I get to wear a piece of red yarn ?

I don't know what this means...

??????

Posted by: molly_phobic ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 12:39AM

You might like the Umberto Eco novel, Foucault's Pendulum. Crazy brilliant work of fiction about the power of fiction (literature, history, religion, philosophy, etc., all become fictions in this book) to shape reality. To become reality.

The novel structures itself off the Sefirot (an important idea in Kabbalah, I think?).

Regardless, an excellent novel to read with an exmo mindset. All about how people use stories and beliefs to manipulate, to control, to harm.

Such a good book; one of my favorites.

molly

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 12:51AM

I second that recommendation, molly. It's a great read.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 08:34PM

>Wearing a thin scarlet or crimson string (Hebrew: חוט השני) as a type of talisman is a Jewish folk custom as a way to ward off misfortune brought about by the "evil eye" (Hebrew: עין הרע). The tradition is popularly thought to be associated with Kabbalah and Judaism.

>The red string itself is usually made from thin scarlet wool thread. It is worn as a bracelet or band on the left wrist of the wearer (understood in some Kabbalistic theory as the receiving side of the spiritual body), knotted seven times, and then sanctified with Hebrew blessings.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_string_%28Kabbalah%29

Date: August 30, 2015 08:58PM

Wow...thank you, Shummy!!!

I didn't know this...not with Judaism, anyway.

Hindus often wear a red string as a bracelet (and Hinduism evidently attributes this to a biblical story...which is a totally unexpected connection with Judaism), but I, personally, had never heard of this in Judaism before. (The only Jewish religious "strings" I was aware of are tzitzit---which are the fringes on a Jewish prayer shawl.)

This is a really neat thing to find out today!!! :)

Date: August 30, 2015 09:10PM

Some Jewish writers have noted that the red string is not actual Kabbalah practices or teachings. It has been distorted with New Age religionists, who have used it and called it a part of their Kabbalah practices. Kabbalists deny its use as a part of their tradition. (I just found this out perusing the topic in response to Shummy's post.)

"- that's a New Age gig with some Hebrew and Jewish symbols thrown in to make it look legit. If you have to buy a red string to tie around your wrist to protect you - its not real Kabbalah. If you have to pay a lot of money to study at a center or buy a bunch of books - it's not real Kabbalah. If you're not Jewish, you aren't likely to find a Jewish teacher to work with you one-on-one in kabbalah."

"It is a form of Jewish mysticism.
And no, the form Madonna practices is not real Kabbalah, it is a new-age distortion. The red string thing has ZERO to do with actual Kabbalah, that is just a scam.
Kabbalah is for Jews."

Apparently according to these same bloggers, the style of Kabbalah that Madonna has embraced is more in line with New Age or Scientology teachings, not Kabbalah.

"No, Kabbalah is is the study of Jewish mysticism.

It's still Judaism."
crazzy_nascar_chick ·

"Holywood Kabbalah is a lot like Scientology - get ready to leave your wallet at the door." ~ Exile

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090731172952AAIEQ60

Posted by: sampsonAtard ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 08:47PM

Zo·har
ˈzōhär/
noun
"the chief text of the Jewish Kabbalah, presented as an allegorical or mystical interpretation of the Pentateuch."

This old piece of fake holy scripture was born just like the Smith/Cowdery Clan's BoM.

Some wise fellow of the that clan or an adviser may have told them of this Zohar thing from 13th century Spain.

A rabbi called Moses de Leon published it and claimed it was the work of Rabbi Shimon bar Yochai who scratched out a scroll and buried it in a cave in Palestine in the 2nd century.

De Leon dug the thing up, did the translation dance and gifted the world with Kabbalah.

Sounds like a old-time Smith-myth trick to me?

Mrs. de Leon insisted her husband and son made the whole thing up!

Date: August 30, 2015 08:59PM

I didn't know this, either!!!

:D

Date: August 30, 2015 08:59PM

Kabbalah is not considered a religion per se, but an ancient mysticism that can be applied no matter someone's religious affiliation, or lack thereof. "Kabbalah is an ancient wisdom that reveals how the universe and life work. On a literal level, the word Kabbalah means 'to receive.' It's the study of how to receive fulfillment in our lives." "Kabbalah teaches universal principles that apply to all peoples of all faiths and all religions, regardless of ethnicity or where you come from." http://kabbalah.com/what-kabbalah

Yehuda Berg quotes
“Love is a weapon of Light, and it has the power to eradicate all forms of darkness. That is the key. When we offer love even to our enemies, we destroy their darkness and hatred...”
― Yehuda Berg

“A rewarding relationship occurs when there is a common spiritual goal, shared spiritual values and a mutual desire to build a relationship upon a spiritual foundation and for the purpose of connecting to the light of the creator.”
― Yehuda Berg, The Kabbalah Book of Sex: And Other Mysteries of the Universe

“Love is a weapon of Light, and it has the power to eradicate all forms of darkness. That is the key. When we offer love even to our enemies, we destroy their darkness and hatred... What's more, we cast out the darkness inside ourselves. What's left are two souls who now recognize the spark of divinity they both share.”
― Yehuda Berg, The 72 Names of God: Technology for the Soul

“Uniting two halves of one soul is inevitable, but timing depends upon your level of spirituality. When the time is ripe, true soul mates find one another even if they are worlds apart— whether physically, on opposite sides of the globe, or spiritually, with contrasting lifestyles and backgrounds."

"Here’s wishing you the courage to keep growing so that you may know – or continue to know – the blessing of oneness.”
― Yehuda Berg

“Loving one another isn’t enough to make a relationship last. The real glue that holds a couple (or friends or family) together is the effort both put into helping others who are in need of financial, health, personal or emotional assistance. Today, sustain your connection to a loved one by finding ways you both can help others, with a genuine heart.”
― Yehuda Berg

“Always run after opportunities to create peace between people, to find ways to bridge differences, please. Because as long as one person continues to feel separation…
…we'll all still feel it.
Close the space between you and someone today. Seeing their essential goodness helps a lot.”
― Yehuda Berg

“Hurt people hurt people. That’s how pain patterns gets passed on, generation after generation after generation. Break the chain today. Meet anger with sympathy, contempt with compassion, cruelty with kindness. Greet grimaces with smiles. Forgive and forget about finding fault. Love is the weapon of the future.”
― Yehuda Berg

38. Kabbalistic Quotes

The most important aspect of the process of self-improvement is the cultivation of one’s sense of humility before the Creator. This, however, should not be an artificial undertaking, but a goal of one’s efforts. If, as a result of working on the self, an individual gradually starts to develop this quality, then it means that he is proceeding in the right direction.

(Talmud, Avodah Zarah)

A human being is born as an absolute egoist, and this quality is so visceral that it can convince him that he has already become righteous and has rid himself of all egoism.

(Talmud, Hagiga)

The Torah is the Light of the Creator, and only a person who receives this light is considered as learning Torah (rather than just acquiring mere wisdom).

(Zohar, Metzorah)

The Torah is concealed. It is only revealed to those who have reached the level of the righteous.

(Talmud, Hagiga)

When a person, by means of his studies, reaches the level at which he wants nothing but spiritual elevation and at which he accepts only the bare necessities of life in order to sustain his physical existence, not for pleasure’s sake, this is the first step of his ascent to the spiritual world.

(Talmud, Psachim)

The lower a person feels, the closer he comes to his true state and to the Creator.

(Talmud, Sota)

It is forbidden to study Kabbalah for any purpose other than spiritual elevation.

(Talmud, Sanhedrin)

A person’s highest spiritual potential is to reach the level of maaseh merkavah ("the act of rule"). He is able to correct himself to such an extent that Divine Providence over the world can be executed through that person.

(Talmud, Suka)

A necessary condition for spiritual elevation is a continuous quest for a bond with the Creator.

(Rambam, Ilchot Yesodot Torah)

Do not despair once you have entered the path, for the Creator assures us of success if the direction of our aspirations is correct.

(Talmud, Psachim)

The most important aspect of a person is his aspirations, rather than his achievements, because it is egoism that requires achievements.

(Talmud, Yavamot; Talmud, Sota)

Just as a person should strive to feel the insignificance of his inborn characteristics, so too should he be proud of his spiritual work and purpose.

(Talmud, Brachot)

A person who strives toward the Creator is known as His child (Talmud, Shabbat), in contrast with those who want to be rewarded for their studies (by respect, knowledge, or money).

Grasp the Creator. Kabbalah is known as the teaching of the hidden (nistar) because it can only be grasped by a person to the degree that he is able to alter his inner qualities. Therefore, he cannot pass along his perceptions to others, but he can and should help others to overcome the same path.

(Rambam, Ilchot Yesodot Torah)

Who can imagine a world that is not filled by the Creator?

(Talmud, Shabbat)

An individual must imagine that he is alone in the world with the Creator. The various characters and stories in the Bible signify the different qualities of one person and of all people and the different stages of this person’s spiritual path. The qualities and the stages are denoted by people’s names, their actions, and geographical locations.

(Talmud, Kidushin)

An individual need not despair when, as he studies and works on improving himself in an effort to attain spiritual elevation, he comes to see himself as being in an even worse condition than prior to studying Kabbalah. The true nature of egoism is revealed to a person whose level is higher than that of others, and for this reason a person becomes worse in his own eyes, even though he has actually become better.

(Talmud, Megillah)

Do not pay attention to the fact that the entire world is continuously chasing pleasures while only a few ascend to the Creator.

(Talmud, Rosh Hashanah)

The most important aspect of a person’s spiritual progress is a plea for help addressed to the Creator.

(Talmud, Yomah)

The worst manifestation of egoism is arrogance and conceit.

(Talmud, Sota)

A person must draw strength from the understanding of the purpose of creation, rejoicing in advance in the inevitable reformation of the entire world and the arrival of peace for humanity.

(Talmud, Truma)

Faith is the only way to redemption. In all other qualities a person can become confused by egoism, but faith is the only basis for a person’s ascent to the spiritual realm.

(Talmud, Makot)

Faith cannot manifest itself in a person without being accompanied by fear, for egoism bows only to fear.

(Talmud, Shabbat)

Even if an individual is not doing anything, his egoism urges him to commit all kinds of evil deeds. Thus, a person who has not sinned can be compared to a person who has done good deeds.

(Talmud, Bava Metziah)

An individual’s unification with the Creator can only be achieved through the congruity of their qualities.

(Talmud, Sota)

http://www.kabbalah.info/eng/content/view/frame/4215?/eng/content/view/full/4215&main

Posted by: Paidinfull ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 09:21PM

I'm not a student of Kabbalah & don't know a lot about it other than its backbone is the Tree of Life, the oneness of God, which is a symbolic representation of divine attributes. There are 10 serifot, I can remember a few- wisdom, beauty, strength, kindness, magesty. The premise is when God created the universe, the vessels meant to hold His light overflowed & shattered, and chaos came into creation. All created things, plants, rocks, people, for examples, contain "sparks" of the original light. The Kabbalists through meditation, often on the names for God, for example "Almighty" in Hebrew, tries to unify the principles, the serifot. The goal is a greater understanding of the Creator, not becoming a creator, ie, a god.
I see nothing in what little I know about Kabbalah that's in the same vein as exaltation. It isn't really the same as Divination, becoming one with God, either. It's about knowing or understanding God, again very different from becoming a god yourself.

Posted by: sampsonAtard ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 10:20PM

amyjo, thank you.

With your mega-post: "Some Kabbalah quotes by Yehuda Berg & Kabbalistic Quotes from Talmad." Your spelling of the last word is spot on in describing this maundering madness.

Your catalog has reminded those of us who have neglected study of this tiresome collection that it's a colossal pile of whale Scheisse.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 10:37PM

Is whale scheisse kosher?

Date: August 30, 2015 10:54PM

Shummy Wrote:
> Is whale scheisse kosher?

No, whale (or whale scheisse ;) ) is NOT kosher. (A "food product" of a non-kosher animal is also non-kosher. ;) )

A sea creature is only kosher if it has fins and genuine scales (there are some fish, like sturgeon, which have "scales" which are not quite "real" scales according to Jewish law).

Besides whales...dolphins and porpoises and squids are also not kosher (neither are octopuses or sea slugs).

And looking this up, I also learned that hippos are related to whales...isn't this a really neat thing to learn???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2015 11:25PM by tevai.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.