Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 09:16AM

who thinks BoM story is fantasy, Cumoms, Cureloms, Elephats never existed in Americas, yet comfortably believes in Nephilims, Garden of Eden and existence of Hell.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: April 14, 2011 09:17AM

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 09:17AM

There are some. Most are not.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 09:20AM

I still believe in the Easter Bunny, Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairie. So what?

Just sayin'...

Ron

Date: April 14, 2011 09:44AM

Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, Mr. Solo! My point being that belief in something that common sense says isn't possible, doesn't disuade the believer. Just like your fictional $50 which you have no intention of paying. No "exxageration" intended.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 09:47AM

NO LIGHT STUFF GUYS....THIS IS SERIOUS!!.......................... I'M SERIOUS!! :0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2011 09:47AM by bignevermo.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 09:50AM

Some of them are here on the board.

Me, I couldn't ignore the challenge (made by a Mormon) to evaluate my own faith with the same standards I was applying to the Mormon faith -- and the result of that evaluation is that I'm an agnostic atheist now. But many Christians are just fine with ignoring that challenge. (Something which confuses me but that's normal for me.)

:D

Posted by: exmo99 ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 09:23AM

You just lost 50 bucks...

Posted by: OlMan ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 09:24AM

I do.

Do you lose your $50?

Date: April 14, 2011 09:27AM

Posted by: OlMan ( )

Thank you

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 09:36AM

quinlansolo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> who thinks BoM story is fantasy, Cumoms, Cureloms,
> Elephats never existed in Americas, yet
> comfortably believes in Nephilims, Garden of Eden
> and existence of Hell.

It's early, pardon my confusion (haven't had my tea yet). Are you saying that Christians don't believe in Joseph's Myths but do believe in Biblical concepts? Wouldn't that pretty much be a definition of fundamental Christians?

I'm going to fix my tea, then perhaps all will become clear in my befuddled brain.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 09:43AM

Plus you offered money so ya know, kind of proving them right.

Personally? You are right I only believe in RaptorJesus now. He gives me a warm feeling more often.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )

That puts him WAAAYYY up on any other deities I've researched. Of course it's usually just him trying to say I owe him money -- but still, it's an answer. :D

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 01:09PM

And I will never stop begging for money!

Never!!!

Posted by: SoCalNevermo ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 09:48AM

Based on your headline, you lose big time. When you get into the text, maybe not so much.

It is quite possible to be a Christian and still interpret the creation stories, etc as other than literal history.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 09:51AM

I hung on to my Christianity because I loved the teachings of Jesus. I church-shopped, I prayed, I defended. Over time, the critical thinking skills that got me free from the Cult helped me to see that churches are a manmade creation dedicated to their own survival.

Harold Camping (and I'm no fan at all, he's a trainwreck you can't look away from)...anyway, Rev. Camping is a lone wolf and pretty soundly hated by most evangelicals because he crossed the line. He said the churches were unnecessary. Once a person has been introduced to a personal Savior, said Rev. Camping, that was that. Furthermore he had the gall to support his opinion with biblical scripture.

Christian love and tolerance evaporated and Camping found himself on the stoop fellowshipwise.

There are plenty of believing Christians here. People don't start abandoning religion just because they realize Joseph Smith is a douche. In fact, his self-aggrandizing and the abortion of a religion it produced makes regular Christianity look innocent and pure by comparison.

It takes time to sort it all out and there's no trophy for speed, so relax and have a cup of coffee. We're friendly to all here while maintaining the razorlike irreverent wit of Raptor Jesus and the historical inside-jokiness of SLCabbie. If you are a believing Christian, you will find a cohort here too, as long as you can stand hearing stuff you don't believe in.

For me, it's a great lesson in tolerance and helps you undo the damage the cult has done.

Anagrammy

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 08:33AM

I had the exact opposite reaction. I realized what a douche Joseph Smith was and saw the exact same qualities in every other religion. Once I traded spirituality for rationality I changed and there were no tradebacks.

There are some differences between mainstream Christianity and other Christian religions such as Mormonism, but not enough to justify belief in Christ or deity...

Posted by: deb ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 12:45PM

Always believed here. Never been a mormon but always considered myself to be a christian.

Posted by: Rod ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 01:08PM

I could no longer believe in the ridiculous stories told in the BOM and in mormondumb. I had just begun using my critical thinking skills, and I considered myself to be a Christian. Now that I am used to "critical thinking", I consider myself to be an agnostic, although I do believe there is a life after death.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 01:12PM

the original post.

Posted by: Doug ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 01:16PM

I really can't understand how anyone could drop Mormonism for some other Christian religion. If there's one thing I credit Mormonism for, it does a good job of "trying" to make sense of a religion that doesn't otherwise make any sense at all.

Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 02:26PM

True Christianity was what led me out of Mormonism. I'm a born again believer all the way, but I am much more open minded and will always think twice about what I am taught. I am not a blind follower anymore. I also respect non believers more now than I did when I was TBM.

Posted by: stang99_tls ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 02:32PM

Are you betting $50 for each Christian? Because I think you just lost a lot of money.

I am a Christian, and proud of it.

Date: April 14, 2011 04:16PM

Posted by: stang99_tls ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 05:51PM

No, I read the whole post. When I say I am a Christian it means i believe in the Bible as a literal translation. And I don't believe in the BOM. So what don't you understand?

Date: April 14, 2011 05:57PM

(mythology) in the Bible any more than they believe the wild stories in the BoM.
Virgins don't get pregnant.
People don't rise from the dead.
There was never a flood that covered the whole planet at once.
Two of every type of animal could not possibly have fit into an ark and saved the entire life of the planet.
A talking snake convinced Eve to eat a fruit?
Which creation story do you believe in the Bible -- the one that says Adam was both male and female, or the one that has God making Eve from Adam's rib?
But you're saying you believe this stuff literally?
Really?

Posted by: Devorah ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 03:26AM

Yep. Really.

Date: April 15, 2011 08:46AM

These beliefs are equally as silly as magical underwear.

Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 02:32PM

Well, I'm Christian who almost wrote "Sorry folks", I'm not ashamed about it, and since talking about scriptureis not welcome, I try to avoid it. but No! I don't believe in all he stuff the OT stated. I finally read the bible and not a thing in mormonism jives with the bible. I was converted as a kid, believing in God, but never read the bible until adulthood.
That's how the Tanners left moism. It was some of their researches, along with other things made me start to search for myself.
I guess, as someone said here once said, I'm a biblical Christian.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 04:05PM

Nina Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm a biblical Christian.

Please explain, because I have yet to find a christian who totally rejects the bible

It's also very, very rare to find a christian who accepts *the whole* bible as literal truth

so, what you end up with is a whole shedload of groups (estimates range from 30,000 denominations of christianity UPWARDS)
and each of these groups takes a pick'n'mix attitude to which bits they regard as truth and which bits are allegorical/metaphorical.

Date: April 14, 2011 04:09PM

oops

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2011 04:10PM by EssexExMo.

Date: April 15, 2011 08:44AM

I've read the Bible a handful of times in a handful of languages and it is a completely silly thing to say that the Bible doesn't jive with Mormonism.

The Bible is read exactly how you personally want it to be read. It is so vast a collection of myths, and so vague in many parts, that anybody who reads it will pick the myths that they like and remember them while forgetting the rest.

I could quote you a dozen scriptures now, 5 years after I left Mormonism, that jive perfectly with its doctrine. The Bible does not disprove Mormonism, it only proves that Christians are subjective readers, assuming that they actually ever study the text.

Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 03:46PM

Normally I wouldn't open this can of worms, but I'm cranky and in a lot of pain, so what the fuck? I may as well.

Why does it always have to be Mormonism or nothing? Everyone has different sets of beliefs, whether it's atheism, Christianity, Buddhism, Islam, Hindu, Wicca, whathaveyou. Abandoning Mormonism doesn't necessarily mean abandoning spirituality altogether. Life just isn't that cut and fucking dry.

I agree 100% with what anagrammy said: "People don't start abandoning religion just because they realize Joseph Smith is a douche. In fact, his self-aggrandizing and the abortion of a religion it produced makes regular Christianity look innocent and pure by comparison."

Date: April 14, 2011 03:55PM

Ya! It's kinda like eating icecream. I support: "Either eat ice cream or don't. Put that faux icecream back and get some real ice cream or don't get any at all." Now, that works for me, but I'm sure others eat that faux ice cream all the time and enjoy it. It's not for me, however.

Ya dig?

Ron

Date: April 15, 2011 08:51AM

BUT................ some of us have diabetes and reALLY SHOUDNT!! so... i have to eat "fake" ice cream.... "no sugar added" and even that rises my blood sugar a little.... but go without ice cream.... aint gonna happen!! so faux ice cream it is for me..... better than that Faux "news" station!! :)

Date: April 14, 2011 04:11PM

christian: I believe in a man/god thing who died and then came back to life, and you will go to hell if you don't believe the same thing as me

Atheist: That is not logical and bears an uncanny resemblance to lots of other mythologies from the same area

Christian: DAMN YOU ATHEIST, PUSHING YOUR AGENDA

Date: April 15, 2011 08:52AM

Date: April 15, 2011 08:28AM

Die-hard atheists...

I can't stop chuckling over this comment.

It is so much easier to dismiss something when you can label and stereotype it, isn't it?

Posted by: jebus ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 04:23PM

There are lots of folks who have left Mormonism for other than rational reasons. There are lots who have left for rational reasons, but don't feel the need to apply logic and reason to their other beliefs. Though not a majority, ex Mormon Christians are plentiful. Grant Palmer and Arza Evans come to mind.

To whom did you award the $50?

The great trouble with religion - any religion - is that the religionist, having accepted certain propositions by faith, cannot thereafter judge those propositions by reason. One can bask at the warm fires of faith, or choose to live in the cold reality of reason; one cannot have both.

- Robert Heinlein, Friday

When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized that I was talking to myself.

- Peter Barnes, The Ruling Class

Date: April 15, 2011 08:53AM

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 05:16PM

Define "believing"

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 05:42AM

...that most mainstream Christians don't take every last word of the bible literally. They don't buy their chuch doctrine 100%. They do not obey to the last pronouncement every last pearl of wisdom that drops from their leaders' lips.

Mainstream Christians are encouraged to think for themselves. They are not (for the most part) disciplined or punished for using their brains. They are not denied the official blessings of their respective churches for doing so.

Have you ever actually talked to a mainsteam Christian minister? If you want to have a discussion with him or *her* about how the Garden of Eden story is a metaphor for our disunity with God, he or *she* can have an intelligent conversation with you about that. Because ministers receive collegiate and graduate level training in biblical studies.

Date: April 15, 2011 08:26AM

...that most Mormons don't either. Activity rates in Mormonism are around 50%, right?

I think the point of this article is that stereotypes are hilarious to poke fun at.

Date: April 15, 2011 08:35AM

1. You made a bunch of people butthurt about their religion.
2. You made an excellent point (one that sadly most people missed).

Well done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2011 08:40AM by snb.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.