Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 09:26PM

For those who haven't heard yet, Dr. Wayne Dyer died last night. This man was more of a spiritual leader than any Mormon Prophet or GA I've known. He gave me more spiritual strength through words and his example after I left the church, than I thought possible until looking back years later. Yet he never claimed to be any more of a devine person than you or I could be too if we would only believe in ourselves. The world will miss him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2015 09:26PM by azsteve.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 09:29PM

I have one of his books. Listened to him speak on PBS. A very influential giant in his field of motivational thinking.

He left quite a legacy.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: August 31, 2015 08:04AM

I read "Your Erroneous Zones" when I was in college and gave a talk at church based on it. I EVEN quoted the title of the book.
Funny that I found the things he said in his book more inspiring and helpful to share at church than the scriptures or books written by GA's.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 09:53PM

I remember he had leukemia. inspirational talks given on pbs.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 10:15PM

Wes Craven also died. There was a guy who could scare the heck out of you.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 10:16PM

I already made a thread on Wes Craven.

Posted by: dejavue ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 10:33PM

Wayne's first book, "Your Erroneous Zones" was what got me started out the Cults door and away from their grasp. Didn't know where he was getting his insights until almost 20 years later when I met him a Hay House Conference in Las Vegas. He was a remarkable man and had a full life. Thank you Wayne. I appreciate you and what you stood for and what you did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2015 10:34PM by dejavue.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 10:55PM

I read his book, "Your erroneous zones" and followed him

thoughout his careeer. He was a help to many.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 10:59PM

I really liked hearing him speak and have a couple of his books. I'm sad to hear of his passing. RIP, Dr. Dyer.

Posted by: L Tom Petty ( )
Date: August 31, 2015 07:59AM

'Dyer was diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukemia in 2009 but claimed to have treated it with positive thinking, daily exercise and "psychic surgery" performed remotely by the Brazilian medium João Teixeira de Faria, better known as "John of God."'

I liked the guy but the more I listened to him it just seemed like more woo woo.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: September 01, 2015 02:58PM

L Tom Petty Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 'Dyer was diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic
> leukemia in 2009 but claimed to have treated it
> with positive thinking, daily exercise and
> "psychic surgery" performed remotely by the
> Brazilian medium João Teixeira de Faria, better
> known as "John of God."'
>
> I liked the guy but the more I listened to him it
> just seemed like more woo woo.

Dyer was deep into woo.

It didn't cure his cancer but chemo might have killed him sooner, who knows?

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: August 31, 2015 08:18AM

His books and lectures helped me see that Mormonism doesn't have all the truth. He started me thinking outside of Mormonism. Eventually though, Dyer became a little too far "out there" for me, but I thank him for helping me think a little deeper, and start the ball rolling for me.

Posted by: unbelievable ( )
Date: September 01, 2015 02:51AM

What I appreciated about Wayne was his concept of there is more to life than just our body and day to day stuff. I found him inspiring most of the time. Some of his ideas didn't make sense, but overall, I thought he was a great motivational speaker. Sad to see him go.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: September 01, 2015 08:47PM

I bought a book by Dyer years ago. My TBM wife soundly condemned it and told me it was against Church Teachings. I still think he had some good points, though.

Posted by: dejavue ( )
Date: September 01, 2015 09:18PM

In my opinion, his first book was best. The following books he wrote, while somewhat interesting and entertaining, were too much foo - foo for me.

He had a good heart and really wanted to help people take responsibility for their own lives and not play the blame - justification - game so much.

People who like to point fingers and judge probably aren't going to like his approach too much either. He really helped me begin to see/understand that I was the one responsible for my happiness/life. (I still fall into the trap of blaming others for my little aggravations - even on this board. lol)

Freedom to choose - We are all so free we can choose bondage and many/most do. His ideas got me to clean house on the corruption and misconceptions I had been taught in my early years. Learning to self - reflect when things are not going my way have helped me face forward, laugh and stop taking thing so seriously.

Posted by: Abigail ( )
Date: September 01, 2015 10:03PM

The brought "Your Erroneous Zones" home when I was in high school. My dad asked me what I was reading a book like that for.

You can guess what he thought I was reading about.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: September 02, 2015 01:33PM

That's hilarious!

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: September 02, 2015 03:55PM

Now that made me LOL!

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: September 02, 2015 01:07PM

I did give him some chance to him in the beginning....
As soon as I found out 99.9% of my future depends on me his optimism rubbed me wrong way.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: September 02, 2015 03:56PM

He certainly left a huge legacy. I thought he was more of a spirtual leader than any of those living fossils in SLC could ever be.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.