Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Justice ( )
Date: September 11, 2015 11:18AM

Has anyone noticed that Mormon's don't seem to go to jail as often as non-Mormons especially in white collar fraud cases

Maybe it's because they kickback to the Church, I really don't know ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: September 11, 2015 11:39AM

Justice Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>, I really don't know ?

Exactly.

I've read a lot of affinity fraud cases involving Mormons and they went to prison.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: September 11, 2015 12:27PM

I don't think you have a case. A lot of crooked Mormons go to jail for fraud. I personally know one of them, too.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: September 14, 2015 11:48AM

There is a lot of white collar business crime in which huge fines can be levied and no criminal charges filed. This is certainly a preferable way to handle it for the government. They get a lot of money this way, don't have to pay to incarcerate non-violent fraudsters and they still can run their businesses and pay taxes, with increased oversight. This is not always the case but very often is.

Unfortunately, when I was in Utah I worked with and for some of these fraudsters and have some relatives who are in that category. None of them have done any jail time, they are still running their businesses--often incorporating and unincorporating all over the place, living high on the hog, looking down on everyone else who are honest but don't have the things they have and of course, giving the mormon cult their cut.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: September 11, 2015 12:51PM

From my personnel observation, law enforcement would much rather go after a convenience store stick up for $200 than a white collar, stealing from the books, missing $1,000,000, done by a government employee, scandal. Violent crime is what Jails are meant to take care of.

recently I read that 1 in 4 Black men have a criminal record which greatly affects their later ability to obtain employment, and get fair treatment by landlords.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: September 11, 2015 02:57PM

poopstone Wrote, in part:
-------------------------------------------------------

> recently I read that 1 in 4 Black men have a
> criminal record which greatly affects their later
> ability to obtain employment, and get fair
> treatment by landlords.
You just HAD to share that little tidbit, didn't you?

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: September 11, 2015 03:42PM

Poopystone says a lot of idiotic things. I've learned to scan respondents as I start to read a post. I typically skip crapstone's.

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: September 12, 2015 03:33AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistics_of_incarcerated_African-American_males

> A black male born in 1991 has a 29% chance of spending time in prison at some point in his life

It would seem that poopystone isn't far off in this case.

Posted by: sisterofjared ( )
Date: September 11, 2015 03:07PM

"I recently read 1 in 4 black men have criminal records and it effects their lives negatively"...thanks poop for the captain obvious info...Why should a person that has lived an honest life be treated any different than one who has rap sheet that covers years?..Must be racism right?

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: September 15, 2015 02:30AM

exactly. for what ever reason this is the demographic that makes up the prison population. It's unfortunate that 1 in 4 have this negative prison record. They get busted and white collar, christian (supposedly) get away with far worse crimes.

Posted by: anon4this ( )
Date: September 11, 2015 01:14PM

Two Mormons in my neighborhood have served time for unrelated white collar crimes. One is currently in federal prison for the next few years. The other was in jail for a few months, was released and reoffended. Don't know if he got jail time for the second offense. BTW, he was in the bishopric during the time he carried out his first crime.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: September 11, 2015 01:19PM

This isn't the case... mormons go to prison all the time for white collar crimes.

This is why it is important to only prey on fellow mormons and get in good with the bishop (or be the bishop), that way if your MLM/Pyramid scheme doesn't pan out the bishop can shield you from litigation using his position of power/trust.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: September 11, 2015 02:18PM

Another example.....one of my older brothers friends grew up and became a medical professional. Went to prison for a few years for medicare/ insurance fraud.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: September 11, 2015 02:41PM

I once had a 1st Counselor in Bishopric go to prison for several armed bank robberies, kidnapping and carjacking. They even shot it out with the sheriff. I don't remember how many years he got but I bet he is still behind bars. The guy he was with was killed in the shootout. It was a really big deal around here. Gambling led him to robbing the banks because he owed some really bad guys a bunch of money. Sad family because both of his sons were in prison as well for other offenses involving drugs.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: September 11, 2015 05:04PM

...didn't keep him from attending his church meetings and fulfilling his assigned duties.

Posted by: Anon Dunn ( )
Date: September 11, 2015 02:48PM

I know one who commited fraud starting a business and stealing the money (from a someone in my family), and did not go to jail for whatever reason. I guess it depends.

Posted by: pamelapotrey ( )
Date: September 11, 2015 02:49PM

I don't know. I knew Ted Bundy personally & it was interesting to hear his thoughts about the church & look where he ended up.

Needless to say...........

Date: September 11, 2015 06:49PM

momto15kids

What were Ted Bundy's thought's about the Church, that sounds interesting

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: September 11, 2015 05:12PM

There was something recently in my local paper about some registered sex offender who was busted for not reporting when he moved, and he had attended the local Mormon chapel. This person was a pedophile, and I only hope that he didn't find more victims in that ward.

Posted by: whywait ( )
Date: September 11, 2015 06:56PM

It would seem that nobody on here has noticed it.

Do you have any data, is this anecdotal or were you just fishing for people to support your theory?

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: September 11, 2015 08:43PM

the MORmON legacy (of corruption) of tyrant brigham young and pervert joe lives on,

Utah "Justice" is often far from it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkMhQ6nrdpc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWbSXMA7ODo

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 12, 2015 03:37AM

Mormons it would seem would have a higher arrest record, because they'd be easier to get caught (as in standing out from their un-Mormon criminal peers,) eventually anyway.

My uncle, who is an accomplished bullsh*t con artist (Master's degree in Electrical Engineering from Berkeley, Univ Hall of Fame (for U of California,) for contributions to science, and a never-Mo still grew up in the Morridor, and would eventually become a crook by the same skills that made him an engineer.

He gives nothing away - he's also an actor (really, he sings and acts in his local theater in addition to his other "talents.")

He has a dark side that no flashlight can penetrate. Mormons are at least more transparent IMO.

Not saying all Mormon white collar crooks are that way, don't want to stereotype. It's just that someone like my uncle is black at the core (think Darth Vader.) Some LDS white collar crooks may be sociopaths. I like to give some the benefit of the doubt and hope there are those with a conscience.

My uncle was too "smart" to get arrested. Just not smart enough to be outed and identified. So the cops and Secret Service now know who he is. A con artist's worst fear is publicity. And I laugh at his dilemma.

Date: September 12, 2015 07:26PM

I do believe the Church back's their own

Here's a good example, a man indicted for murder in Chicago and two Mormon Governors wouldn't extradite him.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1995-06-26/news/9506260178_1_murder-charge-involuntary-manslaughter-face-trial

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 15, 2015 12:04AM

all I know is that if you are a mormon and you murder your baby you won't go to prison.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.