Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon4this ( )
Date: December 08, 2022 04:14PM

I'm posting anonymously, so I can be a little circumspect.

Can I rant a little?

I'm helping my daughter with a website. A "prototype" is up, but she intends to develop it further and try to monetize it. I help her with the tech stuff, because she doesn't have those skills, and I do. And since I'm retired, I have the time. And, of course, I want to help my daughter succeed.

I've mentioned it on a forum which is tangentially related, and explained the above. Then I started getting private messages from a guy who says:

"I'm not a programmer, but I'm taking a class. Can you tell me how you do such-and-such, because I'd like to learn that."

He goes on to say that he's going to put together a website for a "club" and wants a mapping feature, like ours has, and asks how can he do that.

Our site retrieves and aggregates data from various public online sources, so he asks me how he can do that.

Then he tells me he's a member of the largest related international association, with thousands of members, and says that he doesn't know how, but thinks it's possible to have a program log in and retrieve everyone's contact info, so that he can email them about his "club" (contact info is members only)!

I advise him that it's feasible, but highly unethical, and perhaps even illegal in some places. "oh... I won't do that then."

As his questions evolve and get more detailed, and don't seem appropriate for a "club," I begin to wonder and start doing a little digging and discover that this guy who is "not a programmer" has a number of commercial apps for sale on both the Apple and Android app stores.

One of his multiple websites says he's a contributor to a certain programming forum. So I click the link to his ID there, and poke around a bit, and find not only programming tips that he's dolling out, but multiple threads detailing how he developed his apps, designed and changed features, etc, etc.

So, this "not-a-programmer" very obviously *is* a programmer.

Anyway, I'll stop with the blow-by-blow, but I've been sending this clown tips and advice on how to do all these things! But it becomes increasingly clear that he's not building a "club" website. He's trying to copy what we're doing.

So, I sort of obliquely mention one of his apps, and he responds, "Oh, that? Hahaha. I have to hire programmers to do that. I draw pictures of what I want, and they program it for me."

Lying SOB!!!!

So, why mention it here? Well, I'll give you one guess as to where this unethical sack of $h|+'s "bio" says he went to college. And the bio's squeaky clean headshot is of him in a coat, white shirt and tie, along with the requisite ear-to-ear $h|+ eating grin.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 08, 2022 04:33PM

I accept that thru 'worthiness interviews' & others, Mormons are subtly TAUGHT to lie, 'it's in their blood'.

while you're here te he...

I'm needing a website for a start-up business I'm re-inventing, would you care to do some paid work for little-ole me?

thanks, my email is on my profile.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2022 04:34PM by GNPE.

Date: December 11, 2022 11:04AM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I accept that thru 'worthiness interviews' &
> others, Mormons are subtly TAUGHT to lie, 'it's in
> their blood'.

No doubt it's in his blood.

I think you're right, that Mormons are effectively taught to lie, in so many ways. Or to present "reality" as some innocuous or wonderful thing that it is not. Present a "harmless" scenario that will elicit sympathy and/or coax others into doing something that they might not otherwise do. That's really the premise of Mormonism, except that ultimately it is NOT harmless.

> while you're here te he...
>
> I'm needing a website for a start-up business I'm
> re-inventing, would you care to do some paid work
> for little-ole me?
>
> thanks, my email is on my profile.

If you just need a website, there are a lot of easy resources out there. Wordpress, for example, is pretty easy and free. And there are a lot of plugins for it to do all sorts of things, like online commerce, etc.

There are even more sophisticated "content management systems," if you need one, and/or other purpose-built systems that are also free and modifiable (forums, etc).

I'm more of a "back end" developer than a web designer. You'd really need something very specific and unusual to need my help.

If you want to describe a little more conceptually what you're looking for, I could address it in a little more detail.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 08, 2022 04:48PM

You might just tell him, "I'm not able to help you any further." Just shut the door, otherwise he will bleed you dry and profit from it.

He probably comes from a long line of scammers.

Date: December 11, 2022 10:40AM

In my last response, I asked a couple of pointed questions, and mentioned that his questions were way out of sync with what he claimed to be interested in doing.

That was a week ago. He's gone silent.

summer Wrote:
> He probably comes from a long line of scammers.

I would not be surprised.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: December 11, 2022 12:53PM

"That was a week ago. He's gone silent."

Too late to give him bad advice?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 08, 2022 08:15PM

Wow. Some people! You were nice to play along with him so long. Shame on him, the lying cheapskate.

Your daughter is lucky to have her dad be such a great resource.

Date: December 11, 2022 10:51AM

dagny Wrote:
> Wow. Some people! You were nice to play along with
> him so long. Shame on him, the lying cheapskate.

Exactly. I generally don't mind helping people. I don't necessarily think that someone's else's success comes at my expense.

But in this case he's set his sights on doing something that would directly and negatively impact my daughter. And he's been deliberately deceitful, masking his intentions and getting me to lower my guard by claiming to be doing some other innocuous thing, and implying that he doesn't have the capacity to do it, when really all he needs to learn are some of the nitty gritty details.

The other thing is that he could probably learn it on his own, if he'd take the time to investigate and put the pieces together. Instead, he'd rather be lazy and deceptive.

> Your daughter is lucky to have her dad be such a
> great resource.

Thanks, dagny. :)

Posted by: amiable ( )
Date: December 11, 2022 12:40PM

Lazy and deceptive, with zero moral fiber. Horrible.

Posted by: Honest TB[long] ( )
Date: December 11, 2022 08:29PM

Some of you may not have brains that are completely programmed to think in approved ways by the Correlation program of the beloved Church. Thus I'm going to help you out on defining some words.

Word of God = anything said by his servants, the Brethren
Truth = whatever the Brethren say
Honest = keeping all promises to the Church - For example, when I was the super mature age of 8 I made a lifelong commitment and promise to be obedient to the Church.
Doubt = something we aren't supposed to do about Church stuff
Liar = someone who is dishonest or doesn't agree with the truth
Question = an expression of affirmation and/or doubt about some topic where a person has the opportunity to discuss
Affirmation - the raising of a statement or question that is positive and aligned with a preconceived set of ideas and conclusions where no analysis of the pros/cons is made

There are other words that are defined. However, with this list I can help you see how tne Correlation program helps our brains think in wondrous ways.

About liars. What does it mean to be dishonest? Not Honest. So, if I made a promise to be obedient to the Church and I slipped up then I'm not being honest per the definitions above. And what does it mean to not agree with the truth? It means to disagree with what the Brethren say which is the same as disagreeing with God per the definitions above. Thus, a liar is someone who doesn't keep their promises to obey the Church or who disagrees with the Brethren. That's how the well-correlated brain works.

Now of course I could never try to ask any unacceptable questions on any of this because of how the Correlation program has worked on me. One example of an acceptable question would be this:

Why is the meaning of "Lying" to be in opposition of the Brethren?

Why this question is acceptable is because it doesn't raise any Doubts. And from the definitions above you can see that Doubts are something we just never do.

I hope this helps you see how this wondrous Correlation way of think helps make us [long]ers such a peculiar people. In my case I first started on the road to getting my brain baptized and washed by immersion through the Correlation program while I was in Nursery class as a toddler and gained a powerful testimony that Cheerios were good. From then on the Correlation program lovingly molded me.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 12, 2022 11:41AM

They are real good at asking for little water cups and filling up with Sprite soda.

Some also buy two adult buffets then sneak in 9 kids and share plates.

Some bring in dead cock-roaches and dead mice and drop them in the food so they can get a refund.

Nice folks, eh?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.