Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tal Bachman ( )
Date: September 16, 2015 06:51PM

Religion, so the anthropologists say, is all about being part of a community bound by common beliefs, rituals, myths, ceremonies, ethics, traditions, and allegiance to "special leaders" or heroes, and authoritative texts or teachings, and focused on the numinous - some sense of sanctity or grander purpose or "larger-than-lifeness" inhering in, or lurking behind, ordinary existence. In addition, having a common enemy infuses the entire religious experience with an inimitable *frisson* and piquancy; it raises the stakes; "us=good versus them=evil" just makes the whole thing more exciting.

Well, you know where I'm going with this...different strokes for different folks and all that, but to my mind, the best religion out there is rugby. It has all the features I listed above. It even has the "us and them" enemy thing wired, in that in every rugby match, there are actually TWO enemies. The first is obvious - the opposing team. The second is a dark, cosmic, spiritual enemy - a malignant force which represents opposition to the entire code of ethics and culture of rugby. I'm speaking, of course, of the pretend-sport of soccer, in which real skills are diluted by brazen cheating (in the form of diving), and the chief governing board is corrupt, with good reason to believe officiating has been corrupted, too. (For just a peek at the horror rugby people feel toward its spiritual enemy, see http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/sep/16/rugby-world-cup-divers-will-be-punished ).

Opening ceremonies of the once-every-four-years Rugby World Cup are this very Friday, and England plays Fiji that same day. If you find LDS General Conference vapid, soccer a nauseating pageant of theatrical cheating, and an NFL game moves a bit slow for you, maybe it's time for you to observe your very first rugby religious service.

Just throwing it out there...

In the name of William Webb Ellis,

Amen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: September 16, 2015 08:21PM

I'm going to have to disagree with your position on real football (soccer), but a good international rugby match is a treat, for sure.

I'd be more excited about the RWC if Scotland didn't suck so much right now.

Although I last saw the Scottish national side play a friendly here in Houston last year. They spanked the US national team. So at least they can still beat the rugby minnows.

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: September 19, 2015 07:48PM

I'm in the same boat as you scotslander. Normally France appears to have a chance, but they have been shite for four years now under PSA. Anyway, it has already been a historic RWC!!

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: September 16, 2015 08:47PM

Rugby is a wonderful game...but not the beautiful game.

Posted by: maxxedout ( )
Date: September 17, 2015 05:09AM

that would be AFL or aussie rules football as we look forward to that 'one day in September'

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 17, 2015 04:03PM

four minute movie trailer for the 2012 "The Beautiful Game":

http://www.imdb.com/video/withoutabox/vi812555801?ref_=tt_pv_vi_aiv_1

I found it hard to believe that 'the beautiful game' was not golf....

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 17, 2015 05:59AM

Well I don't know who's going to win, but it won't be France this time...

Tom in Paris

Date: September 19, 2015 07:56PM

Mr. Joubert effing handed our title to NZ in 2011. PSA has got to be the worst coach the french side has had since RWCs started.

Posted by: lr2014 ( )
Date: September 17, 2015 07:26AM

Tal,a whole lot of us have have no interest in GC or rugby (although the rugby style shirts are stylin) I want to read more of your short stories!!!especially ones involving your use of the cobra strike.

Date: September 17, 2015 04:39PM

Dude - I already seem like an egomaniac talking about stuff like that, so if you really want me to keep on posting my awesome strategies for how to trick the ladies into liking you, you gotta round up some other people and do something like an RFM board petition. That will enable me to save face.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 17, 2015 04:57PM

"...awesome strategies for how to trick the ladies into liking you..."

This could be why some dudes are less successful than others when it comes to women. I wouldn't label relationship skills as 'tricks' and nobody likes to think they've been 'tricked'.

How about thinking of dating as something more highbrow like - hmmm - I can't even think of a replacement.

But that's your job, you men. What are you trying to accomplish (minds out of the gutter)? How can you describe your intentions and preparations so that utmost respect for women is in the forefront.

That could 'work' better, for starters.

Of course, it depends where you're looking, who you're looking at and the individual goals of all parties.

Goals. See there. I brought it back to rugby.

Lots of women like sporty guys. So you're ahead of the game already. :)

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: September 17, 2015 06:22PM

No goals in rugby but they do try.

Date: September 19, 2015 07:59PM

Tal, you need to get back to those stories. well written and entertaining. Even if someone thought you were an egomaniac it wouldn't matter because they are entertaining!

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: September 17, 2015 08:10AM

through the ruck.

Should the sin bin be renamed "The Telestial Kingdom?"

Would Joseph Smith be considered a "rugger" if rugby had been restored along with the gospel?

Is feeding the scrum a form of sacrament?

Which of all the "religby" teams is the only true and living team on the planet?

Is rugby as sexist as Mormonism? Do women get to play and pray?

If the Mormon conference center were converted into a rugby stadium would it be renamed "The City Creek Maul?"

If Moses were a rugger, would he have lead his team "Isrealites" to victory over their rivals, "The Pharohs" by subscribing to the true ten commandments:

I. The rugby player is completely devoted to their village, town or country, no matter which stadium they play in, nor which opponent they are playing against.

II. The rugby player will complete their match with the desire to win and defeat their opponent, and if necessary at the cost of their own physical integrity.

III. Master of their strength, the rugby player will respect the opponent, not stamp on them and endeavours to spare the spectators from their dangerous and destructive tackling.

IV. The rugby player will obey the instructions of their trainer, the rules set out by the referee and the regulations of the federation.

V. The rugby player shows initiative and adapts in all circumstances against the game of their opponent.

VI. Whether professional or amateur, the rugby player will maintain their physical capability and will develop their ability and their moral strength.

VII. As a member of a fraternal team, the rugby player will act with honour, loyalty and truthfulness.

VIII. Conscious of others and determined to overcome their own difficulties, the rugby player will work for the solidarity and the energy of the team.

IX. The rugby player respects everyone for their similarities and their differences, whatever they may be.

X. The rugby player will continue well into the morning supporting their fellow team members as a team, wherever that may take them.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: September 17, 2015 12:46PM

Now there's a creed that's not an abomination!

Date: September 17, 2015 04:40PM

Cricket - In fact there is a robust women's rugby community, including a Women's Rugby World Cup (the final last time was England against Canada, and England won).

Posted by: Sappheiros ( )
Date: September 17, 2015 03:24PM

The Rugger

To champion the Sport of Gods
Born of valour, a Rugger Son
Forged in truth, fire, and destiny
Proven on the pitch the battle won

Conquering the minds and hearts of men
Victory by courage and blood did snatch
Imbued with the Spirit of Ruggers Past
Blessings now flow through Man of the Match

By Sappheiros

Date: September 17, 2015 04:46PM

Scrums are too often so SWEATY!

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: September 17, 2015 04:59PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Scrums are too often so SWEATY!

And if you are front row of the scrum, someone is fondling your sweaty balls, and if you are back row, you are fondling someones sweaty balls.

Date: September 17, 2015 05:05PM

Rugby should learn from golf, and provide ball washers and towels.

Posted by: sampsonAtard ( )
Date: September 18, 2015 12:17AM

scotslander Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> And if you are front row of the scrum, someone is
> fondling your sweaty balls, and if you are back
> row, you are fondling someones sweaty balls.

Yes! The Wise Guys of Zion got it right way back then. They have, as prophesied, got you sports nuts by the balls.

Protocol 10:

"...In order that the masses themselves may not guess what they are about WE FURTHER DISTRACT THEM WITH AMUSEMENTS, GAMES, PASTIMES, PASSIONS, PEOPLE'S PALACES ....

SOON WE SHALL BEGIN THROUGH THE PRESS TO PROPOSE COMPETITIONS IN ART, IN SPORT IN ALL KINDS: these interests will finally distract their minds from questions in which we should find ourselves compelled to oppose them.

Growing more and more dis-accustomed to reflect and form any opinions of their own, people will begin to talk in the same tone as we because we alone shall be offering them new directions for thought ...of course through such persons as will not be suspected of solidarity with us."

Tough choice... General Conflatulence or Rugby!

Either way, the goyim lose.

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: September 17, 2015 09:04PM

I'm too busy watching the Toronto Bluejays totally dominate every game to care about any other sport

Posted by: The Dude ( )
Date: September 18, 2015 12:39AM

Jesus can't play rugby because he stuck in the hooked position.

Posted by: notnevernomo ( )
Date: September 18, 2015 08:50AM

I've got too many teams to root for in rugby--US, New Zealand, Ireland, Scotland and Wales--not looking forward to one of them facing off against other at some point. But...this Sunday I'll be listening to my local team playing football (American-style, that is) and as for speed? It'll be Tyler Lockett running back a kick return. :D

Posted by: brigantia _ not logged in ( )
Date: September 18, 2015 02:44PM

I'm glued to the telly. Game kicks off in 20 minutes. This old bird loves you Tal but I love rugby more ;-)

Hugs

Briggy

Posted by: brigantia _ not logged in ( )
Date: September 18, 2015 04:59PM

Yay!!!!!!!!!

Briggy

Posted by: copolt ( )
Date: September 18, 2015 05:29PM

35points to 11. Another try in the last minute.

Posted by: PollyDee ( )
Date: September 18, 2015 05:48PM

DH and I had the thrill of traveling to New Zealand for the 2011 RWC. While travelling around New Zealand, we met so many wonderful people from all over the world! The most memorable match was when, as die-hard All Black fans, we found ourselves in a sea of Wallaby fans during the Semi-Final match between New Zealand and Australia. The Australians surrounding us took us right in as one of their own! The comradery and goodwill amongst so many diverse people from around the world brought, together by the love of Rugby, was really the highlight of the trip for us! It was truly a fantastic, religious experience!

Posted by: síóg ( )
Date: September 19, 2015 04:49AM

A link just for you, Tal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7_I7Tj7iAY

Lorraine

Posted by: PollyDee ( )
Date: September 19, 2015 07:55PM

+1 Ireland was phenomenal!

Date: September 19, 2015 08:01PM

Ireland are poised for a great RWC!! Wish it was France or Wales, But I'll take Ireland having the best tourney!!

Posted by: síóg ( )
Date: September 20, 2015 07:44AM

The voiceover announcer on ITV must have spent too much time in 'Merikay. He talked nonstop and was a fount of metaphors. I wished he had dialled it back a bit. However, it was a great match from our perspective.

Posted by: Patrick Bristow ( )
Date: September 19, 2015 11:28PM

Today was the end of the world. Japan beat South Africa.

Date: September 20, 2015 03:38AM

No, today was the beginning of the new better world of classy countries beating cheap shot, chunt class teams that show up in the RWC. Fouk Joubert and his gambling syndicate ties that made him keep France from their title in 2011!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.