Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Out and about ( )
Date: February 23, 2023 09:51AM

Oaks reminds me of Anton LeVey. Same energy. Anyone who could look into those dead eyes and believe he's connected to a benevolent force is delusional.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 23, 2023 10:17AM

For a Double Whammy take a look in Oak's and Bednar's eyes at the same time. You may not live to tell though.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: February 23, 2023 11:07AM

He would have made a perfect villain in a James Bond movie!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 23, 2023 11:18AM

He creeped me out when he was president of BYU and I was a student there. He didn't strike me as having compassion. He didn't seem all that friendly in his interactions with students to me. It seemed more about rules and obedience. He was all about the business of his job I suppose.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 23, 2023 12:40PM

I was there when Oaks was president too. I knew two people who had a lot of one on one with him. The student body president and the editor of the Daily Universe (Isn't that what it was called? I forget). They both had stories that made it clear that Oaks was first and foremost a company man and there was nothing that couldn't be sacrificed for the good of the Church's and BYU's reputation.

And of course all my friends were getting electro-shocked at the time courtesy of Dallin himself no matter what he says.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: February 23, 2023 04:05PM

I will give Jeffery Holland credit. He loved being president of BYU and it showed. He was always friendly and he did an act of kindness for my roommate who was working at his house. Sadly it’s not the same Jeff you see now. Apostle Jeff seems so angry and miserable.

Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: February 23, 2023 12:52PM

Totally agree. Souless. Machine-like rules guy and mean. No compassion or empathy.

The exact kind of man NOT to put in charge of a university full of young adults.

Posted by: Aunt Sukey ( )
Date: February 23, 2023 01:43PM

It chills me to think he was considered for the SCOTUS.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: February 26, 2023 11:56PM

One summer day I was walking along Main Street in SLC. I was there for a Jewish genealogy conference and had taken some time to go to the Church Archives (as it was called back then.) I'd been looking at old photos in the files, trying to find a photo of my grandfather in the Southern States Mission.

It was when the new mall was under construction--and about105° on a July day. I walked south along the wooden walkway and a shortish man in a brown suit walked toward me. I realized who he was. Dallin Oaks. I always imagined he was taller! We passed each other and he gave me an odd look, I later reported this incident on RFM, and Cheryl, who used to post here, said something along the lines that he expected to be recognized and fawned over.

It was an odd experience. Once upon a time, when I was a college student in So. Cal, Oaks was "the Great White Hope." What a disappointment he turned out to be--a co-founder of Dialogue! Sorry Dallin--I'm a tall woman. Short men are fine, but not if they are toadies.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 27, 2023 12:10AM

> Sorry
> Dallin--I'm a tall woman. Short men are fine, but
> not if they are toadies.

Love it.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 28, 2023 02:38AM

*Zapped. That Joan Armatrading reference was the Colt 45 speaking*

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2023 02:49AM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 28, 2023 01:11AM

Snakes In Suits

unfortunately they’ve shaped the Sheeple into blind, unthinking unquestioning obedience masqueraded as reverence for God’s servants…

Witness their disregard for genuine Christ-like living centered around Kindness & Compassion, empathy & they even diluted adherence to the value of Honesty they once touted..

Authority has been slowly over the years taken over as their top value - priority

Posted by: Boyd KKK ( )
Date: February 28, 2023 09:17AM

Still like the T-shirt an Uncle wore at BYU after Hoax was mead head of the school. He wore it on campus and in class a number of times.
Big bright letters that said DALLIN SUCKS TURTLE EGGS.

He said he was never questioned about it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.