Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 24, 2015 04:11PM

In the spring of 1968, when I was ten, my father said the guys at Columbia University told him he should see a movie that had just come out. It was called 2001, and it was about the future. That was all I knew when he took me with him to the Saturday matinee. It was just him and me. I don’t know if no one else in the family was interested, or if Dad was just trying to save money, because we were living on government grants and the income from his part time job at the university. He and I rode the bus down Broadway to the theater.

We took our seats in the crowded cinema and waited for the curtains to roll back. The movie opened with a scene of eclipsing planets and a short piece of dramatic classical music that soared brilliantly. Then there was a beautiful desert scene and the subtitle said it was the dawn of man. The movie segued into the starkness of space with the most realistic spaceships I’d ever seen. There was a docking sequence with a magnificent soundtrack that I later found on one of my mother’s LP records. The music was the Blue Danube waltz by Johann Strauss II, and it became my favorite along with the Beatles songs I heard on radios.

I had to squint as we emerged from the dark theater to the sunlit corridor of Broadway. A plane flew across the sky, and I thought it could be a spaceship if it didn’t have wings. There wasn’t much dialog in the movie, said Dad. We walked to the bus stop and I tried to take slow, measured steps like I was walking on the moon. Dad wondered if the charcoal monoliths in the movie were supposed to be God or some kinds of gods. You never knew with those jokers in the film industry. A bus pulled up, and its brakes hissed at him while the door opened like an airlock. Man wasn’t meant to go to the moon. And there’d never be a twenty-first century anyway, because the Lord would’ve come by then. My father chuckled at the movie’s myriad flaws. Good thing he’d only been nicked for two tickets.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 24, 2015 04:16PM

Brings back memories, Don.
I went to see "2001" in late 1968, my mom took several friends and I to the Saturday matinee, dropped us off, and left us be. Most of my friends (ages 8-10) didn't "get" the movie, and thought it was "weird." I loved it.

I was still honestly disappointed when actual 2001 rolled around, and I couldn't buy tickets to stay at an orbiting space station hotel, or head on to the moon station. I'm still disappointed :)

Posted by: enigma ( )
Date: September 24, 2015 04:21PM

If humanity wasn't still so preoccupied with squabbling over finite resources that we have the technological capability to move beyond OR fighting culture wars that have their basis in different mythologies and invisible friends, we'd probably be doing even greater things than those that were depicted in 2001.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: September 24, 2015 06:08PM

+1

Posted by: One Who Posted ( )
Date: September 25, 2015 07:34AM

You think YOU'VE been screwed. My 1950s' generation were promised hover cars and jet packs. I want my goddamn hover car and jet pack.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: September 25, 2015 12:07PM

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 05:41PM

Agreed. I was born in 1948 and by the late 50's I was reading Popular Science and Popular Mechanics and National Geographic and expected much more by at least 1990. And my TBM folks encouraged us boys to read everything and ask questions and IMAGINE. Not a very "knowledge is evil" upbringing like I hear many posters here tell of.

RB

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: September 24, 2015 04:20PM

In those days, when movies were seen at the movie theatre, and no where else, a movie could be a revelation.

Seeing 2001 in 1968, my birth year, couldn't have been anything less.

Unless you were mormon.

Human

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 24, 2015 05:12PM

There are a couple of great sites that explore '2001's' meaning; my favorite is that the monolith simply represents the movie screen you're watching the movie on.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: September 24, 2015 05:22PM

While I tend to agree with the interpretation that it represents something our monkey minds simply cannot process, so it's just void...

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: September 24, 2015 05:31PM

kolobian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> While I tend to agree with the interpretation that
> it represents something our monkey minds simply
> cannot process, so it's just void...

No. It's a question then, not a void.

Monkey mind or not (and I believe in both and more alike the same), the monolith represents a question, at the least.

Voids are empty.

Questions, on the other hand, are full of what you will (so will well).

Human

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: September 24, 2015 05:25PM

I saw it in SLC in August 1968 with my Star Valley girl friend. She was taken by the movie. We spent the rest of day and evening at Lagoon, and caught Herman's Hermit in concert.

It was one of the best weekends I had ever spent with a girl I thought I loved and still think of her often.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: September 24, 2015 05:27PM

Kubrick's grasp of humanity's genesis was brilliantly distilled from the proposition put forth in Robert Ardrey's 'African Genesis'.

Our great leap out of ignorance was triggered the moment we first became weaponeers.

Nicely done as always, Don.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 12:52PM

So he's the guy who theorized that the slow climb up the sentience hill began with learning to throw things and bang things on the head with a big stick?

When I first heard of this, it made perfect sense. To paraphrase Teddy Roosevelt, why speak at all if you have the biggest stick? You can get others to do the speaking for you, which continues on to this day.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: September 24, 2015 06:16PM

Saw it in SLC in l968 right after it came out.

Hal scared the crap out of me. I'm still nervous because I think my computer may be related to him.

Posted by: Anon Dunn ( )
Date: September 24, 2015 06:57PM

It is a great movie, but HAL 9000 was the best part of the movie for me.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 05:26PM

"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: September 24, 2015 07:06PM

I left for my mission in August 1968 and wanted to see this movie but didn't have the chance before I left.

It was at least 6 months later that I finally saw it, in Sao Paulo, Brasil since they didn't get American movies for several months after opening in the US. There were several big movie theaters with big screens and nice sound.

I wasn't (and am still not) much of a science fiction fan and my companion at the time was a farm boy from Beaver, Utah. (nothing against farms boys from Beaver).

I thought it was okay but appreciated seeing it again years later in Salt Lake on the big screen.

He absolutely hated it and wondered if he could get his money back.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 25, 2015 07:25AM

Space Station V: The Earth appears to rotate as the station rotates but the shadows don't

Moon Shuttle to TMA-1 Base: The shuttle is on a ballistic trajectory and the crew and passengers would be weightless so they couldn't have a normal meal pouring coffee into cups

HAL Shutdown: After Dave Bowman re-enters the Discovery through the airlock (which would be possible but extremely dangerous) one of his space suit gloves is disconnected whilst he is climbing the latter to enter HAL's CPU

Posted by: jeffbagley ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 12:39PM

I stayed home that day with mom and the rest of the flock but shared Don's excitement about the space program for many years since. Don's stories are vivid memories for me and a detailed record of our early family life. I hope the grandchildren and great grandchild will read them one day. It's been a long trail.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 08:11PM

Beautiful writing, Don.

And Tumwater, I found your reminiscences touching.

Thanks to you both.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 08:19PM

I was disappointed when the year 2001 actually arrived.

Where is my flying car, dammit !

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 08:30PM

Volkswagen makes one that can fly through an emissions test.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.