Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 06:52PM

I've slowly weeded out most anything that could be considered 'Mormon' over the years, but unfortunately, there are some items I just can't part with. For example...

My quad
My temple clothes
Some LDS related literature
A picture frame that says "forever"
Some children's books
The Forgotten Carols on CD

My husband has a few things he's not willing to part with either.

For sentimental reasons I've kept the above and don't see myself getting rid of them- ever.

Do you have anything Mormon-y you just can't part with?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 06:58PM

She died 6-1/2 years ago, but I had kept them anyway. I had been out for a long time before she died. I have a temple apron that my grandmother embroidered. Someone left it at my parents' house after they both died. My "TBM" sister doesn't know I have it and neither does my aunt.

My temple clothes were buried with my mother.

Quad LONG gone. I still have my "bandalo" from primary and my new testament from primary in my cedar chest, as well as the "gold" covered book of mormon my ex's MP gave him.

Last, but not least, the book of mormon that my daughter gave to my son with her testimony in it that he burned page by page. Not all burned, but it is also in my cedar chest.

My seminary pin and my diploma.

Funny thing, I have had this blessing certificate forever. I don't know why it ended up out of the box, but my ex picked it up one day and said, "This is __________'s (my sister) blessing certificate. Why do you have it?" She is also ex-mo. I haven't told her about it yet. I got a good laugh out of that one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2015 07:00PM by cl2.

Posted by: truorderofawesome ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 07:13PM

My family.
The church has done a lot to tear us apart, but i have fought back twice as hard with love and patience. Our children are finally together again like family should be, though the cloud of LDS still hangs in the air.
Even if they are mormon forever, i love them and i will keep them forever.

Posted by: lue ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 07:22PM

A signed book by TSM...waiting for him to kick the bucket, then will sell.

Oh and some books by ETB that are collectables.

And the " little factory" book by Whatshisname.

and still have mine and my mom's PB.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 07:34PM

All of my magical rocks and seer stones.

My divining rod and talisman.

My personal ouija board.

Crystal ball and levitation robes.

Since TBMs have always believed in these sacred instruments of gawd, why should I throw it all away?

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 07:41PM

I've kept:

My G-g-g-grandfather's signed BoM from 1888 his, D&C and all the church books that him, my G-g-grandfather, my G-grandfather, my grandfather, and my mom had written their name in, which actually amounts to a fair amount.

Some extra pieces of my mom's temple costume.

My own temple costume.

My 2 mormon mission suits.

My mission letter.

My mormon church resignation letter.

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 07:45PM

I wish I had my mother's Mormon grapes.

Posted by: Still Lurking ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 11:17PM

I sooo get this; I kept my mom's when she moved as she no longer wanted them.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 08:15PM

I just can't part with my bad memories of mormonism.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 11:30PM

ha!

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 08:24PM

Posted by: Zero ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 08:30PM

I was close to throwing away my old 6 Discussions that I'd memorized on my mission, but I just couldn't. I'm still pretty proud that I memorized them all!

Posted by: Mr. Inactive ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 08:44PM

The only thing I thought worth keeping was the book of geneology sheets of the family that were done decades ago.

Posted by: exmember5000 ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 08:46PM

I still have a large print triple. If I ever join again, I wouldn't want to repurchase it.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 08:54PM

I have a set of one-piece garmies, just to prove they existed in case the Morg decides to deny THAT too.

Unfortunately, all four of my kids have LDS baby books and there's no way I'm getting rid of them, or even re-doing them. What's done is done, but it bugs me to no end.

I kept the temple veil for some reason and I think that's about it. Threw out all the BoMs.

Of course, kept my resignation letter.

truorderofawesome, I thought your post was...well, awesome.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 09:06PM

Those old one-piecers were sooo gross.

I have my great grandparents scriptures, and some genealogy stuff. I consider them family things not LDSInc things. I am sure my TBM family would consider the scriptures theirs but bite me - oldest daughter to oldest daughter and I am not giving them up. I did have a cousin try to search my stuff for them once, I am sure that is what she was after. Little witch. I have a few other books. One kids book about the Pre Existence and how much better we are than everyone else and the disgusting Mormon and the Negro.

Posted by: lue ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 09:09PM

Susan I/S Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those old one-piecers were sooo gross.
>
> I have my great grandparents scriptures, and some
> genealogy stuff. I consider them family things
> not LDSInc things. I am sure my TBM family would
> consider the scriptures theirs but bite me -
> oldest daughter to oldest daughter and I am not
> giving them up. I did have a cousin try to search
> my stuff for them once, I am sure that is what she
> was after. Little witch. I have a few other
> books. One kids book about the Pre Existence and
> how much better we are than everyone else and the
> disgusting Mormon and the Negro.

Oh, yes....anything with the word Negro in it is a good thing. Worth lots of money. I had a bishop that had one of the very early Mormon Doctrine's that was full of that word. I wanted it, but he said he was hanging on to that.

Posted by: hurlyburly ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 09:06PM

We haven't done a full purge of everything from the Church, but I already know a few things I will keep:

- At least one copy of the Quad, mostly so we can compare the scriptures as they are now with whatever they change into after thirty more years
- A couple of books that were basically my inheritance from my grandparents
- My copy of "Jesus the Christ" in Portuguese I bought on my mission, probably my English copy, too
- Family history and genealogy, at least some of it

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 09:33PM

Some books that make Mormonism look ridiculous, like Mormonism and the Negro. My patriarchal blessing with its embarrassing thees and thous. A card to my mother about my skipping primary classes at age six. Various nutty Mormon certificates.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 09:52PM

Baby blessing certificates, my TBM grandpa's JtC from his mission (it has his name on it) and that's it. Anytime I come across Mormon stuff I usually throw it away or send it to DI. Just last week DI received my temple clothes and Cub Scout shirt and neckerchief. If my living grandpa gave me his first edition copy of the BoM in Hawaiin I'd keep it.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 10:25PM

I only kept 2 things: my mission journal and my missionary name badge. Everything else gone.

Date: September 26, 2015 10:36PM

I have these two things too, I just forgot.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 11:17PM

I only keep the journal to laugh at how ignorant and idiotic I was :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2015 11:18PM by ificouldhietokolob.

Date: September 26, 2015 11:21PM

I actually was thinking to throw mine out but, I do need to remember that too.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 10:34PM

I have a quad that was my parents, and one bible I got from the mishies who taught my mom. I keep them both as a measure of the respect and love I had and have for them. All the other Mormon literature, scriptural or otherwise went into the landfill years ago. And BTW I have never read either volume.

RB

Posted by: ElderCarrion ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 11:21PM

The Mormon snowball has accumulated a few very valuable particles. I keep the few most precious ones, no apologies.

1. Journaling

2. Preparedness

3. Avoidance of debt

4. Word of Wisdom during sleep

5. Chastity 99% of my waking hours

6. Total honesty whenever I'm alone

7. Unmatched work ethic

8. Humility before paydays

9. Tithing: Very grateful now that I don't pay it

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Benefits+of+being+a+Mormon

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: September 27, 2015 07:01AM

I keep a journal, too, Elder Carrion. NOT a mo-style journal, a ME-style journal. This year marks fifty years since I started.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 11:39PM

He lives in my car armrest as a good luck mascot.

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: September 26, 2015 11:40PM

There's nothing I can't part with. I'm sure my parents still have it stashed around here somewhere, maybe in storage. I've got a Jesus picture on the wall upstairs in my old room that I refused to take with me when I moved into the basement. I want nothing to remind me of the time I spent in that organization.

And I was actually kind of excited when my mom took down this picture of Jesus with a host of angels that hung next to our kitchen and put up a beautifully-carved Asian ornament instead. Win. Though we still have Jesus with whatever-her-name-is at the well hanging over the fireplace. Maybe I can buy mom another nice Asian decoration to put there...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2015 11:41PM by oneinbillions.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: September 27, 2015 12:52AM

My Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas CD's.

My circa 1975 scriptures - now reduced to just being reference materials for RfM discussion.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: September 27, 2015 01:08AM

Old copy of Mormon Doctrine, temple clothes (my sister made my dress for me) old books, and an unopened can of Pero. My mother drank the Pero for years until she finally went back to coffee.

Almost forgot, a commemorative plate from the Nauvoo Temple dedication. Would like to sell it cause I paid way too much for the stupid thing.

Posted by: Mr. Inactive ( )
Date: September 27, 2015 01:17AM

Used to have one of those old garments with the "trap door" on the backside. I don't remember what happened to it, but if I find it it's a keeper.

Posted by: baneberry ( )
Date: September 27, 2015 08:20AM

My g-grandfather's bound copies of tracts from his mission to England and Ireland. Three different editions of the scriptures to make comparative notes. (God) Min grew a penis in one! My journals. Michael Quinn's book on J. Ruben Clark (history I trust), Rough Stone Rolling, Mormon Enigma, Polygamy, The Polygamous Wives Writing Club, B.H. Roberts book on the Book of Mormon and a couple of others.

Food storage (what if the Zombies do come?). Canning jars, pressure canners, wheat mills, hand grinders, seeds and other gardening stuff. A butter churn, cheese making equipment, enough yeast in the freezer to bake bread for at least a century. A really good sour dough start. My wife's hot glue gun. Closets of fabric (my wife). Quilting stuff (my wife).

My propensity to buy too many groceries, to cook too much food and to want to feed an army (just my wife and I now).

I could write the 5 gallon bucket alternative use book.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.