Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ElderCarrion ( )
Date: September 27, 2015 01:56AM

You have been summoned to stand before the throne of God. He has given you three minutes of His undivided attention. You are asked to tell Him why He should not banish you to everlasting misery. What is your defense? What would you say?

All of Heaven's hosts are watching and listening.

3...2...1...Go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJdtEjJE8OA

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: hurlyburly ( )
Date: September 27, 2015 02:59AM

(Assuming that this is the Mormon God we are talking about, though this probably applies to most.)

You planted too much evidence against yourself.

Posted by: hurlyburly ( )
Date: September 27, 2015 03:08AM

My first response applies now. Alternately, I hope one day to be able to say something like this:

Not knowing for sure whether or not you existed, but believing in some of the best principles in the Bible, I have tried to live according to this: "Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." Since leaving the church, I have given as much time, energy, talents, and resources as I used to give to the Mormon Church to the following charities and causes: (List here.) Through that service, I have been serving God, and I have done much good.

(I've only been out of the church for a short time, so my wife and I are sort of recovering from that. In time, we'll find some charitable causes and maybe actually help fight homelessness, LGBT persecution, racial inequality, or other big and real problems. If we can make good on that ideal, I am pretty confident in my chances at the judgment bar.)

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: September 27, 2015 03:01AM

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: September 27, 2015 03:47AM

What makes you think God has a penis?
I don't buy into patriarchal bullshit.

Posted by: truorderofawesome ( )
Date: September 27, 2015 11:46AM

He doesn't. God is immaterial.
The title is supposed to be representative of the relationship between God and man. As a father to his children. That's why we say He and God the father.
God, being immaterial, has no gender. He's made entirely of love, which has no physical attributes. (Why would he need them?)
If it makes you more comfortable, pray to love...that's what i used to do. I found it an easier title to relate to.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: September 27, 2015 07:53PM

Where were you on 9-11?

Posted by: lvskeptic ( )
Date: September 28, 2015 01:25PM

koriwhore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where were you on 9-11?

Answer....helping the Muslims. Oh, didn't you know that they had the truth?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 27, 2015 04:51AM

"I still don't believe in you!"

Posted by: cwpenrose ( )
Date: September 27, 2015 10:05AM

This!

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: September 27, 2015 05:05AM

"Fuck you."

Seriously. If there is a god then I hate him; it's as simple as that. I've always identified more with Satan than with Jesus, so send me straight to Outer Darkness. I want nothing to do with a being that would create a world like this, and then create a creature like me.

Posted by: cwpenrose ( )
Date: September 27, 2015 10:05AM

And this!

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: September 27, 2015 09:39AM

"As my loving Father, I'd rather that you tell ME what you love and appreciate about me" 3-2-1

If there truly was a loving Heavenly Father, he wouldn't be all judgey like that. He would first give me a HUGE celestial hug, tell me how wonderful it was to be able to meet face-to-face again, then tell me how much he loves me and appreciates all my efforts - and that he totally understands everything I did and hopes that overall it was a good experience, and that he's here for me if I want to talk about it any time, but for now, please just be comfortable, get a good rest and be happy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2015 09:46AM by seekyr.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: September 27, 2015 09:46AM

You wanted me to be a liar and live a phoney life, instead of being honest and saying that I didn't see any evidence for your existence? No matter what you think, I will always know that I lived a genuine and honest life and I wouldn't change that if I could.

Also, a question, while I've got your attention. Little kids having cancer. Millions starving to death. Being put on a planet where you can't live without the Sun, but the Sun can kill you. Extreme cold. Extreme hot. Tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis, plagues. This growing older and deteriorating stuff.

Who's stupid idea was all of that???

Date: September 27, 2015 11:53AM

You can't blame God for starving people. There are enough of us who have plenty, that we could feed and clothe all of them several times over. That is our fault.

Date: September 27, 2015 12:03PM

From what i have read from people who have had those "i died and came back" experiences where they see Christ in heaven or hell, they say that you somehow comprehend that He is loving and just. You immediately understand what He does and it's fairness, so the judging part i think kind of goes out the window.
I would say simply that i did my best. I tried to be great, but i had to settle for just being okay, relying always on Him to bolster me through hard times. Whatever his judgement, i earned it.
I would say thank you for delivering me from the truly evil people who took advantage of my childish innocence. I would say thank you for bringing me to truth, and for creating me to be a person who questioned everything, and sought truth even when where truth took me was not where i necessarily wanted to go.
Thank you for giving me children. I hope i was a good steward to their souls. I loved them ao much more than my own life.
Thank you for the suffering, so that i could find my own strength in the face of pain, agony, cruelty and hardship so that others knew they too could find strength.
Thank you for my grandmothers and their example to lead lives of truth, even when their own children abandoned them for it.

I would be grateful. Because no matter how miserable my life has been at times, He always found a way to let me know that He was with me.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 27, 2015 08:09PM

It's nice that you are able to create such a Pollyanna world with a nice god and all puppies and rainbows.

When people create a god that gets all the credit and never the blame, it usually means they have bought into the "its our fault" mentality.

If the the rose colored glasses are removed from people who mentally need to associate god only with love, it becomes apparent that god must be malicious, impotent or indifferent. They simply have ignored the reality around them. They have concluded anything bad should be blamed on god's faulty little pets- us.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 28, 2015 12:54PM

truorderofawesome Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can't blame God for starving people. There
> are enough of us who have plenty, that we could
> feed and clothe all of them several times over.
> That is our fault.

Then "god" is irrelevant. Check.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: September 27, 2015 10:27AM

"On earth, we can only compare humans to other humans in order to ascertain what level of 'crazy' somebody is at. You, however, have taken 'crazy' to a whole nuther level, you asshole!"

Posted by: flo, the nevermo ( )
Date: September 27, 2015 10:48AM

I have been summoned, you say? . . . Red flag.

I don't show.

Somebody says he's a god, then he already knows how to find me.

Also, anyone who sits on a throne and encourages groveling is not a person I'm interested in visiting.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: September 27, 2015 11:40AM

Posted by: tenaciousd ( )
Date: September 27, 2015 01:53PM

So .... Christian God ... Is Anne Frank in Hell according to you? If so PI$$ OFF!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 27, 2015 02:22PM

You provided no evidence of your existence.
Those who claimed to know your "will" were irrational, illogical, egocentric, and generally violent.
So I lived my life based on rational thought, and a desire to live successfully and honestly among others.
If that's not good enough for you -- screw you.

(not that I think any such thing will ever occur, of course)

Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: September 27, 2015 02:29PM

Where did you get that unicorn? I need me one of those.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: September 27, 2015 02:36PM

"Why did you hide all sound evidence of your existence from your children? You gave me this brain, and you knew what it would take to convince this brain that you existed. You did not provide this evidence. So whose fault it is that I did not believe in you?"

Date: September 27, 2015 02:53PM

Now this is a reasonable request, imo.

If you made me and my mind, then you know what i need to believe.
Perhaps as life orogrrsses that will happen, and perhaps not. This seems a very reasonable question.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 27, 2015 02:49PM

"Do you have a notepad and pencil, and the winning lotto numbers for Saturday?

Thanks Dude, I owe ya one!"

Honestly, I was trying to think of something profound...

Posted by: possiblypagan ( )
Date: September 27, 2015 06:17PM

Why do women get the worst of it? Bad treatment throughout all history and blame for all the woes of man, not to mention menstrual issues, more opportunities for cancer (more internal body parts) and autoimmune diseases like MS, RA, and Lupus. More prone to dementia and Alzheimer's. The only good thing about being female is the ability to bear children.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 27, 2015 08:14PM

"Given all the pestilence and punishment you meted out to sinners back in the day, WTF happened during the holocaust, the Pol Pot regime, the Haiti earthquake, all the sunami's and on and on? Out on your coffee break?

RB

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 27, 2015 08:36PM

Heavenly father, you are speaking to an urban school teacher. You can't scare me. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt. Now open those Pearly Gates, young man! ;)

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: September 28, 2015 07:34AM

I wouldn't say anything because I don't talk to imaginary people.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: September 28, 2015 07:56AM

F#ck you, you cruel narcisistic bastard!

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: September 28, 2015 01:57PM

What! No clothes again!

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: September 28, 2015 02:02PM

You are such a kind and loving God, that loves each of us because we are your literal children, but you are thinking of banishing us to everlasting misery? You're so nice.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.